• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Asif the best young pacer now?

rolande

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mitchell Johnson by a mile. That guy is gonna have a long career and it will be a good one too.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
that's ridiculous to rate Johnson ahead of Asif when Asif has been damaging in both forms of the game. Johnson hasn't even played test cricket yet.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha I know.

Asif is already ranked #8 in the ICC test bowler rankings, after only playing 9 tests yet Johnson is better than him? :ph34r:

tooextracool

International Coach
Asif is certainly the most proven out of all the current young seamers, and probably potentially the best too. Im actually quite satisfied with the state of fast bowling at the moment. There are several promising young fast bowlers around the world ATM, and its certainly better than the sorry state from a few years ago. The bowlers who were in the same position 5 years ago or so who should be in their prime now- Ntini, Hoggard, Flintoff, Bond, Harmison, Nel, Sami, Nehra have all due to injury or just not being good enough merely amounted to good but nothing special(less so in the case of Harmison, Sami and Nehra). Consequently the quality of international cricket has declined and only Australia has managed to maintain any sort of standard.
At least with Asif, Steyn, Taylor, Gul, Sreesanth, possibly Anderson and Johnson the future looks a lot brighter, although injury and other circumstances(ahem steroids) could play a major part in resulting in the same

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Although Mark Gillespie is 27, I think he's fairly promising too. He'll be dangerous in the WorldCup with Bond and Mills I believe.

FRAZ

International Captain
Asif is certainly the most proven out of all the current young seamers, and probably potentially the best too. Im actually quite with the state of fast bowling at the moment. There are several promising young fast bowlers around the world ATM, and its certainly better than the sorry state a few years ago. The bowlers who were in the same position 5 years ago or so who should be in their prime now- Ntini, Hoggard, Flintoff, Bond, Harmison, Nel, Sami, Nehra have all due to injury or just not being good enough merely amounted to being good but nothing special. Consequently the quality of international cricket has declined and only Australia has managed to maintain any sort of standard.
At least with Asif, Steyn, Taylor, Gul, Sreesanth, possibly Anderson and Johnson the future looks a lot brighter, although injury and other circumstances(ahem steroids) could play a major part in resulting in the same
I am sorry "my ideologies" and "mental categorizism" ,Oh God I am sorry but here I will have to agree with this man over this point . Good man..... Thanx

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The bowlers who were in the same position 5 years ago or so who should be in their prime now- Ntini, Hoggard, Flintoff, Bond, Harmison, Nel, Sami, Nehra have all due to injury or just not being good enough merely amounted to being good but nothing special.
Ntini, Flintoff, Bond and Nel all still have the chance to become good Test bowlers IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Although Mark Gillespie is 27, I think he's fairly promising too. He'll be dangerous in the WorldCup with Bond and Mills I believe.
For one who made such an inglorious journey to international cricket, he's sure as hell done a lot right so far.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
that's ridiculous to rate Johnson ahead of Asif when Asif has been damaging in both forms of the game. Johnson hasn't even played test cricket yet.
Hmm... let's look at the location and post-counts of those two identities now... and then jump to a logical conclusion...

Beleg

International Regular
Ntini, Flintoff, Bond and Nel all still have the chance to become good Test bowlers IMO.
Ntini and Flintoff are 'GOOD' test bowlers already. Nel is borderline (I personally like the look of him a lot), and Bond, if he played with any sort of regularlity at all, would be the best of the lot.

tooextracool

International Coach
They dont have the chance to be great bowlers though. It could be argued that all of those bar Nel are already good test bowlers, but they simply are now heading past their prime now.I think we are currently seeing the best of Ntini(and even at his best hes still rubbish in the subcontinent or basically wickets which dont offer him bounce), we've already seen the best of Flintoff and Bond, and i dont see Nel ever being consistent in his 30s.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm also beginning to worry that we've seen the best of Nel we're going to see, but I retain the hope that he'll attain some consistency, he's always had about as many of the tools as you could wish for.

I don't really think any of said names had any more potential than Your Routine Joe to be all-time greats - nothing struck me upon their entrance to the game "all-time great" the way it has with Asif since his second-coming.

adharcric

International Coach
Ntini, Hoggard, Flintoff, Bond, Harmison, Nel, Sami, Nehra have all due to injury or just not being good enough merely amounted to good but nothing special(less so in the case of Harmison, Sami and Nehra).
The world's leading fast bowler is nothing special? Sad state of affairs tbh.