• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Asif the best young pacer now?

FRAZ

International Captain
They dont have the chance to be great bowlers though. It could be argued that all of those bar Nel are already good test bowlers, but they simply are now heading past their prime now.I think we are currently seeing the best of Ntini(and even at his best hes still rubbish in the subcontinent or basically wickets which dont offer him bounce), we've already seen the best of Flintoff and Bond, and i dont see Nel ever being consistent in his 30s.
For first bolded sentence I have a question for you ,"What if Ntini finishes up with over 550 wickets ?
And from second bold I meant that even Shoaib Akhtar couldn't do much against India on those pitches ,so be fair with the excellent bowlers who might have the talent for becoming the so called GREAT bowlers !!!

shortpitched713

International Captain
Yeah, Asif by pretty much miles right now, although I can see Johnson being one of the best in the world if he doesn't go crocked ten times before hes 30.

tooextracool

International Coach
I'm also beginning to worry that we've seen the best of Nel we're going to see, but I retain the hope that he'll attain some consistency, he's always had about as many of the tools as you could wish for.

I don't really think any of said names had any more potential than Your Routine Joe to be all-time greats - nothing struck me upon their entrance to the game "all-time great" the way it has with Asif since his second-coming.
Thats exactly my point though. No one really expected much to begin with when it came to Flintoff, Hoggard, Ntini or Nel though they've improved and become good bowlers only at their peaks. Only Bond and maybe Simon Jones were ever expected to amount into something great at any point in time over the last few years although through no fault of their own, they've failed to achieve anything like that. The latter is still only 28 though and still ca resurrect his career to some extent. Cant really say the same about the current lot- Asif, Taylor, Steyn and a few others are at a very young age showing signs of dominating international cricket.

tooextracool

International Coach
The world's leading fast bowler is nothing special? Sad state of affairs tbh.
You dont think so too? Ntini is by all means a fine bowler but surely you wouldnt pencil him down as having the potential to be an all time great? He simply doesnt have the variety, way too one dimensional to succeed consistently all over the world.

FRAZ

International Captain
You dont think so too? Ntini is by all means a fine bowler but surely you wouldnt pencil him down as having the potential to be an all time great? He simply doesnt have the variety, way too one dimensional to succeed consistently all over the world.
First of all it's a debatable issue !!
You are kinda diverting from the original topic by camouflaging the "Great" thingi with the "all-time great" thingi .. The addressed gentleman in your post never penciled any one tbh !!
So who do you think is the best currently ?

FRAZ

International Captain
Pray tell us, who is this best bowler that you speak of?
Do I have to tell this . Whenever I bowl in the nets (indoor facility) then my club mates do call me with that special name .
The name of fashion , un wanted contrevorsy , and THE name ...........

tooextracool

International Coach
For first bolded sentence I have a question for you ,"What if Ntini finishes up with over 550 wickets ?
Its not about how many wickets or how many runs, its about how and where you take them. Ntini simply struggles to take wickets away from home, especially in the subcontinent or even in a place like NZ or england.

And from second bold I meant that even Shoaib Akhtar couldn't do much against India on those pitches ,so be fair with the excellent bowlers who might have the talent for becoming the so called GREAT bowlers !!!
Shoaib Akthar has an excellent bowling record in Pakistan.

tooextracool

International Coach
First of all it's a debatable issue !!
You are kinda diverting from the original topic by camouflaging the "Great" thingi with the "all-time great" thingi .. The addressed gentleman in your post never penciled any one tbh !!
So who do you think is the best currently ?
honestly great or all time great, Ntini wouldnt quite fit in either category.
He may be the best currently, but that doesnt say much when the standard is so poor. As such id probably say that even right now, Asif is a better bowler.

FRAZ

International Captain
Shoaib Akthar has an excellent bowling record in Pakistan.
Well "Shoaib Akhtar" itsef is a debatable issue . Anyways what I said is clear for any human eye . "Those" pitches won't even give wickets to the greatest . And honestly speaking ,It was only Waqar in the recent era who was a little succesful on "those" &*$%in pitches because he used to bowl stump to stump and with a sheer and genuine pace.

FRAZ

International Captain
honestly great or all time great, Ntini wouldnt quite fit in either category.
He may be the best currently, but that doesnt say much when the standard is so poor. As such id probably say that even right now, Asif is a better bowler.
Great is the next step of the stair for Ntini and currently he is definitely on his way ... And I never said he is the greatest or a GREAT bowler .We all just said that his future record may make him a great bowler .But anyways it still is a debatable issue !!!!

shortpitched713

International Captain
Do I have to tell this . Whenever I bowl in the nets (indoor facility) then my club mates do call me with that special name .
The name of fashion , un wanted contrevorsy , and THE name ...........
You are Shoaib Akhtar! :-O

Would explain a lot, really.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Really rate Steyn who is gonna be a real handful when he gets fit.Looks a whole lot different from the young,raw tearaway against England.SA are really gonna have a potent attack in test cricket in the next few years.Steyn and Ntini could be the best new ball partnership in test cricket in 1-2 years.
Others to look out for
Gul
Sreesanth
Johnson
Taylor

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Asif by an absolute mile. Has proved that he can already bowl well on different types of wickets in both types of thw game, a sure-fire bloke to take 400 test wickets, should he play until he is 34, and keeps relativley injury free and drug free.

DCC_legend

International Regular
Really rate Steyn who is gonna be a real handful when he gets fit.Looks a whole lot different from the young,raw tearaway against England.SA are really gonna have a potent attack in test cricket in the next few years.Steyn and Ntini could be the best new ball partnership in test cricket in 1-2 years.
Others to look out for
Gul
Sreesanth
Johnson
Taylor
:thumbup: totally agree!