• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sharjah cup ?

dass

Banned
what ever happend to the annual sharjah cup tournament ? i think the last one was played in 2004 and after that nothing.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
man i miss those days of pakistan giving india beatings
you've brought tears to my eyes
we want to see more sharjah cup !!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Didn't the ICC put a stop to it?
I thought that no-one wanted to go back after the match-fixing storm broke.
It certainly wasn't an instant consequence of match-fixing, given that things first started to emerge in 1997 and 1998, then were swept under the carpet, then re-emerged in 2000.

And tournaments were being played in Sharjah until 2002\03, with the Cherry Blossom Cup.

Certainly, "offshore" tournaments (not just those at Sharjah, those at Toronto other similar venues were no different) were suspected as being hotbeds of match-fixing. But they still happen these days - Abu Dhabi has just superseded Sharjah as the one in UAE. (That is, Sheikh Zayed Stadium, not Al Jazira :blink: Stadium.)

Offshore tournaments have also been played in Singapore and Morocco, as well as Toronto.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
The icc tours program pretty much puts pay to all these tournaments.
Id rather see a tournament like sharjah being played in one of the associate countries to try and register some intrest in the public there. A tournament with the big fish in kenya or holland would be ideal. Unfortunately the way the tours program is this just isnt gonna happen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The icc tours program pretty much puts pay to all these tournaments.
It certainly doesn't, there's much disquiet at National Boards filling-in gaps in the FTP with said tournaments.
Id rather see a tournament like sharjah being played in one of the associate countries to try and register some intrest in the public there. A tournament with the big fish in kenya or holland would be ideal. Unfortunately the way the tours program is this just isnt gonna happen.
UAE is every bit as much an I$C$C Associate Member as Holland.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
It certainly doesn't, there's much disquiet at National Boards filling-in gaps in the FTP with said tournaments.

UAE is every bit as much an I$C$C Associate Member as Holland.
There is disquiet.. but how many of these sort of tournies have actually taken place recently? Just that one in malaysia springs to mind. Most are put to the sword straight after theyve been dreamed up

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I meant the HPP associate countries..
HPP?
Just at myself more than anything.Its not really my kind of music normally. End of the innocence is one of my fave albums actually...
Oh, right.

I prefer Building The Perfect Beast myself.

I don't really have a "type" of music.
There is disquiet.. but how many of these sort of tournies have actually taken place recently? Just that one in malaysia springs to mind. Most are put to the sword straight after theyve been dreamed up
There's always something. Even if it's just the Afro-Asia Cup.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
HPP?

Oh, right.

I prefer Building The Perfect Beast myself.

I don't really have a "type" of music.

There's always something. Even if it's just the Afro-Asia Cup.
Yeh the afro asia thing was a terrible idea. absolute nonsense, though it wasnt in an associate was it?

HPP is the name for the "high performance" associates that have odi status

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeh the afro asia thing was a terrible idea. absolute nonsense, though it wasnt in an associate was it?
No, it was in South Africa in the winter. The attendances were estimated at 200 or something. They had to spray-paint the grass green because it dies in winter. It rained. It was utterly freezing cold.

The simple fact of the matter is that there is no good time of year for said sort of thing.
HPP is the name for the "high performance" associates that have odi status
Oh, right.

Nothing more than a I$C$C gimmick, really, methinks. There's no difference between Holland and UAE.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
No, it was in South Africa in the winter. The attendances were estimated at 200 or something. They had to spray-paint the grass green because it dies in winter. It rained. It was utterly freezing cold.

The simple fact of the matter is that there is no good time of year for said sort of thing.

Oh, right.

Nothing more than a I$C$C gimmick, really, methinks. There's no difference between Holland and UAE.
Apart from the fact that holland finished above them in the icc trophy.
UAE are known for picking lots of dodgy qualifyed players from pakistan and india arnt they? Whereas atleast holland have a domestic structure and home grown talent.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Apart from the fact that holland finished above them in the icc trophy.
UAE are known for picking lots of dodgy qualifyed players from pakistan and india arnt they? Whereas atleast holland have a domestic structure and home grown talent.
Most teams are known for picking non-original-national, qualified players where possible.