• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Sachin Tendulkar retire from International Cricket?

Should Sachin Tendulkar retire from International Cricket?

• YES

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • NO

Votes: 47 81.0%

• Total voters

davj

Cricket Spectator
I think so. His downfall starts from beginning of this Century. He is not at all that Tendulkar we saw in 90s. Surprisingly no one has the dare to make comments about his batting faultiness. I think this is one of the major reason for his downfall. In all these years he struggled to play strokes on offside. I hardly saw a productive cover drive from him. Now he makes some silly excuses for his poor performance. I remember one famous proverb: “A bad workman blames his tools”. This is the story with Tendulkar. I think his presence may prove costlier for India in the next World Cup. I am damn sure he is not going to be dropped from the team for any reason. No one has the guts to do that(:unsure: ). For the benefit of the team he should say good bye to international cricket.

dass

Banned
I think so. His downfall starts from beginning of this Century. He is not at all that Tendulkar we saw in 90s. Surprisingly no one has the dare to make comments about his batting faultiness. I think this is one of the major reason for his downfall. In all these years he struggled to play strokes on offside. I hardly saw a productive cover drive from him. Now he makes some silly excuses for his poor performance. I remember one famous proverb: “A bad workman blames his tools”. This is the story with Tendulkar. I think his presence may prove costlier for India in the next World Cup. I am damn sure he is not going to be dropped from the team for any reason. No one has the guts to do that(:unsure: ). For the benefit of the team he should say good bye to international cricket.

i agree he is not the same as the 90's but i still think he is good enough to be in the team, i mean sure he is not in the best of form right now but in his score of 60 yesterday he played some awsome shots, which indicates he still has the ability to play good. i think he should definatly play till the world cup, after the world cup its up to him if he wants to retire.

Fiery

Banned
:yawn: Yet another thread putting the boot into an all-time great. (This time one who's not even playing that badly)

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:yawn: Yet another thread putting the boot into an all-time great. (This time one who's not even playing that badly)
He's not playing that badly in ODI's but his Test form hasn't been that flash. I can't understand the point of this thread though, the man is arguably the second greatest batsman to ever play cricket and you are kicking him when he's down, I'm sure that wouln't be the case if he scored a century in the final ODI to save India's bacon. No, everyone insisting he should be dropped (with the exception of JustTool) would probably be praising him endlessly. Give the man credit where it's due. You have to back someone like this to bat himself out of his poor test form.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think so. His downfall starts from beginning of this Century. He is not at all that Tendulkar we saw in 90s.
From 2001 up until the 3rd ODI game against the West Indies Sachin Tendulkar has scored 6057 runs @ 61.81 in ODI's. In Test's during the same period, from 2001 until present he has scored 4252 runs @ 51.22. People talk about him "no longer being what he used to be in the 90's", and sure he was excellent back then but he's no slouch in this time frame either.

Fiery

Banned
From 2001 up until the 3rd ODI game against the West Indies Sachin Tendulkar has scored 6057 runs @ 61.81 in ODI's. In Test's during the same period, from 2001 until present he has scored 4252 runs @ 51.22. People talk about him "no longer being what he used to be in the 90's", and sure he was excellent back then but he's no slouch in this time frame either.
Hear hear Perm

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Definitely not in ODIs - Tendulkar is still one of the best ODI players in the world. In Tests, I think the time could be coming although he batted fairly well on the South African tour.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
He should retire whenever he wants. The question about whether or not the Indian selectors should drop him is a different one, but the answer is still no. Not yet, anyway.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not at the moment. But IMO there is a good case for him to "do a Lara" and retire from ODIs after WC.
Even when he's more valuable to India in ODIs than Tests right now?
The case with Lara is that he's still a very bankable Test batsman and has really declined (largely due to his batting position) in ODIs of late. Tendulkar may be struggling in both forms, but he's had more success in ODI cricket lately. I don't see much value to him retiring from one form of the game and continuing in the other.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
I think so. His downfall starts from beginning of this Century. He is not at all that Tendulkar we saw in 90s. Surprisingly no one has the dare to make comments about his batting faultiness. I think this is one of the major reason for his downfall. In all these years he struggled to play strokes on offside. I hardly saw a productive cover drive from him. Now he makes some silly excuses for his poor performance. I remember one famous proverb: “A bad workman blames his tools. This is the story with Tendulkar. I think his presence may prove costlier for India in the next World Cup. I am damn sure he is not going to be dropped from the team for any reason. No one has the guts to do that(:unsure: ). For the benefit of the team he should say good bye to international cricket.
Why is this a recurring theme on here?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Since 2003 I believe he's averaging low 40s in Test Cricket without his Ban and Zim freebies - that's 4 years...

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Why do you think we lost yesterday's match, because of inexperience. At a stage where we should've kept pushing for singles, the inexperienced batsmen following Tendulkar/Dravid decided to accelerate way to early and therefore wickets fell. On the other hand, had Tendulkar and his experience not been there in that match we would've succumbed to a lower total. Instead of accelerating too early, Dravid and Tendulkar's experience came in hand when they decided to play a steady inning.

Many people say bring on the new guys they'll do way better than what Tendulkar has been doing of late, but it's just in these kind of situation experience pays off and we get to know the true value of out of form players like Tendulkar.