• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Sachin Tendulkar retire from International Cricket?

Should Sachin Tendulkar retire from International Cricket?

• YES

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • NO

Votes: 47 81.0%

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I wouldn't endorse dropping him just yet, but since you ask, is India in such a poor state that they can't find someone who can average more than the low 30s? That's worrying.
I don't know where this low-30s thing comes from but since escaping tennis-elbow and single-figures-or-unbeaten-double-century syndrome, Tendulkar averages 35. As I said, when put in context it's worrying, but it's certainly not like many did much better against some real proper bowling in SA recently.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know where this low-30s thing comes from but since escaping tennis-elbow and single-figures-or-unbeaten-double-century syndrome, Tendulkar averages 35. As I said, when put in context it's worrying, but it's certainly not like many did much better against some real proper bowling in SA recently.
As usual you are back to your BSing ways..to pick from from the middle of a series (lol@ your start date of 28-11-05) to prove your point. Tendulkar in his last 20 tests (not including BD) is averaging 30.5

http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?...edhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty basic, really - no cooking-up or half-baking required.

Waugh averaged 37 against Test-class teams between 2001\02 and 2003\04.
At least stick to your statement. Dont change it when you are proved wrong. But one can always trust Richard to do exactly that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Err - I did stick to my statement, pal - I just forgot to get rid of Zimbabwe first time around...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As usual you are back to your BSing ways..to pick from from the middle of a series (lol@ your start date of 28-11-05) to prove your point. Tendulkar in his last 20 tests (not including BD) is averaging 30.5
Err - exactly what the hell is wrong with picking a point in the middle of a series? The start date I picked was the start of that particular Test where Tendulkar regained his form and shook-off single-figure-itis.

Series don't have to be taken as a whole, you know. Things do change in the course of them. Bull**** is what you're talking if you think otherwise.

Bun

Banned
Its not really a case about averages. A player should only retire when he feels that he offers nothing to the team and the team doesnt need him. Pollocks bowling may have declined significantly but there is no question that his accuracy is still as good as it ever was and just by keeping one end tight he offers as much to the SA team as anyone else(although recently hes been making a case for the side for his batting alone).
As far as should Tendulkar retire from international cricket is concerned, i firmly believe he has nothing to offer India in test match cricket anymore. He doesnt open the batting and fill the much needed openers slot, and at no 4 hes taking up a very valuable batting position which most young players like to bat at. His record in recent times is very very poor and i think hed be doing his own career a favor by bowing out. The last time tendulkar had a successful away series was all the way back in England in 02. I feel that he is still an excellent ODI batsmen but is quite clearly past it in tests.
:laugh:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Comment made on 29/01/2007 TBF. I'll be honest, when he got 2 hundreds in Bangladesh on the next India tour after that, I thought it might be a nice way to bow out... but after the England tour, I could tell the old Tendulkar was starting to come back.

smash84

The Tiger King
Comment made on 29/01/2007 TBF. I'll be honest, when he got 2 hundreds in Bangladesh on the next India tour after that, I thought it might be a nice way to bow out... but after the England tour, I could tell the old Tendulkar was starting to come back.
Tendulkar has just been awesome in 2010.

smash84

The Tiger King
But I still feel that if he goes now it would be great for his own name. He will bow out like Richard Hadlee.

kingjulian

U19 12th Man
Sachin got 50 international hundreds in 2000 Nov.

Since 1 Dec 2010, he has scored 46 international tons at an average of 52.5 from 281 matches. Totaling 16,081 international runs.
Tendulkar

As a comparison, here are the numbers for Ponting, Kallis and Dravid, who people widely regard as better batsmen in the 2000s.

Ponting - 19,845 runs and 55 tons @ 48.63 from 380 matches

Kallis - 16,835 runs and 43 tons @ 54.13 from 311 matches

Dravid - 15,100 matches and 28 tons @ 47.04 from 313 matches

So inspite of playing significantly lesser matches due to age, his numbers are still right up there with players who are considered as the top batsman in this decade and has carved himself a nice enough argument for being the top batsman in this decade too.

morgieb

I don't know about now, but the WC will probably be his last OD dig and he'll probably drift out of tests within the next 12 months.

Burgey

Will be filthy if he tours here again after everyone turned out to wave him off last time. More Australian farewell tours than John Farnham FFS.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Will be filthy if he tours here again after everyone turned out to wave him off last time. More Australian farewell tours than John Farnham FFS.
he did say something like " i dont know why the crowds keep giving me ovations.... maybe they think it's the last time i'll be playing here"
I'm sure he'll tour down under once more!