• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Sachin Tendulkar retire from International Cricket?

• YES

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • NO

Votes: 47 81.0%

• Total voters

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Anyone that thinks Sachin should be dropped from ODI cricket is a bit silly. Since the start of 2006 he averages 42.29 with the bat, and that's about as recent as you can get without cutting it off to 1 or 2 series. He didn't have a good Champions Trophy or a good SA series, but I can't think of too many others that would have done better in SA.

Test cricket its a different story and that's obvious, but I hate it when people get the formats mixed up and because calling for Sachin's head is the in thing to do now (and as I said, not without some reason), people are doing it for ODIs too. Ridiculous.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Tendulkar should be an exception to the norm. When he becomes clearly not good enoug, then drop him, but he deserves more of a chance than anyone else to get back into form.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Since 2003 I believe he's averaging low 40s in Test Cricket without his Ban and Zim freebies - that's 4 years...
Tendulkar has never played a Test against a substandard Zimbabwe side...

Counting Test-class sides (ie not Bangladesh) his average in his last 50 innings (since December 2002) is 37.17. But that doesn't come remotely close to telling the story...

In the first 24 of those he made 15 single-figure scores... plus consecutive scores of 241* (dropped twice early on), 60* and 194*. His form there was, with the exception of those 3 innings, very poor.

However, since his operation and the removal of the tennis-elbow from the equation he's played another 26 innings and been dismissed for single-figures just 3 times (2 of these coming in consecutive innings). The worrying thing about this time, however, is that he's made just 1 century and 5 half-centuries in those innings... all bar the most recent 3 (when he actually looked as good as he has since 2002) of which were in the subcontinent on very, very flat pitches. The old Tendulkar would surely, surely, have made far more of this period.

I don't think it's OOTQ to guess that Tendulkar might never again be the force he was in this time here. But equally, to suggest that India's Test side are better-off without him is pure folly IMO, not least because him regaining such form is certainly not impossible.

Whilst the likes of an average club cricketer (at best) like Paul Collingwood continuing to "grace" the international arena, why on Earth should Tendulkar consider giving up?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bangladesh are not a Test-class team.

Collingwood is no more average-club-batsman than Greg Ritchie or Greg Matthews.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The latter two.

And to add: PLEASE, LEAVE IT FOR OTHERS TO ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(We all know you're no c.h - no-one is!)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

Yes.

(Many, many years from now.) :D

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Then neither are England. Considering Bangladesh have actually come close to winning one out of two recent tests against Australia, as opposed to getting hammered in all five.
Blinding logic. I commend thee. Enjoy your stay. Peanuts?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seriously, if everyone is in no doubt this is but one of 10-plus reincarnations, why has this account not been banned already?

EDIT: I refer thee to...

Last edited: