View Poll Results: Should Sachin Tendulkar retire from International Cricket?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

11 18.97%
  • NO

47 81.03%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Sachin Tendulkar retire from International Cricket?

Quote Originally Posted by davj View Post
    I think so. His downfall starts from beginning of this Century. He is not at all that Tendulkar we saw in 90s. Surprisingly no one has the dare to make comments about his batting faultiness. I think this is one of the major reason for his downfall. In all these years he struggled to play strokes on offside. I hardly saw a productive cover drive from him. Now he makes some silly excuses for his poor performance. I remember one famous proverb: “A bad workman blames his tools. This is the story with Tendulkar. I think his presence may prove costlier for India in the next World Cup. I am damn sure he is not going to be dropped from the team for any reason. No one has the guts to do that( ). For the benefit of the team he should say good bye to international cricket.
    Why is this a recurring theme on here?
    Member of the AAAS

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    NO!!!
    AMEN

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    From 2001 up until the 3rd ODI game against the West Indies Sachin Tendulkar has scored 6057 runs @ 61.81 in ODI's. In Test's during the same period, from 2001 until present he has scored 4252 runs @ 51.22. People talk about him "no longer being what he used to be in the 90's", and sure he was excellent back then but he's no slouch in this time frame either.
    Since 2003 I believe he's averaging low 40s in Test Cricket without his Ban and Zim freebies - that's 4 years...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Why do you think we lost yesterday's match, because of inexperience. At a stage where we should've kept pushing for singles, the inexperienced batsmen following Tendulkar/Dravid decided to accelerate way to early and therefore wickets fell. On the other hand, had Tendulkar and his experience not been there in that match we would've succumbed to a lower total. Instead of accelerating too early, Dravid and Tendulkar's experience came in hand when they decided to play a steady inning.

Many people say bring on the new guys they'll do way better than what Tendulkar has been doing of late, but it's just in these kind of situation experience pays off and we get to know the true value of out of form players like Tendulkar.

He should be dropped.

Anyone that thinks Sachin should be dropped from ODI cricket is a bit silly. Since the start of 2006 he averages 42.29 with the bat, and that's about as recent as you can get without cutting it off to 1 or 2 series. He didn't have a good Champions Trophy or a good SA series, but I can't think of too many others that would have done better in SA.

Test cricket its a different story and that's obvious, but I hate it when people get the formats mixed up and because calling for Sachin's head is the in thing to do now (and as I said, not without some reason), people are doing it for ODIs too. Ridiculous.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny2k1 View Post
    No he should not retire, however he should not be picked just because he is Sachin Tendulkar.
    Why not?

If I scored runs like Sachin Tendulkar I might just expect to be picked...
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Tendulkar should be an exception to the norm. When he becomes clearly not good enoug, then drop him, but he deserves more of a chance than anyone else to get back into form.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Since 2003 I believe he's averaging low 40s in Test Cricket without his Ban and Zim freebies - that's 4 years...
    Tendulkar has never played a Test against a substandard Zimbabwe side...

Counting Test-class sides (ie not Bangladesh) his average in his last 50 innings (since December 2002) is 37.17. But that doesn't come remotely close to telling the story...

In the first 24 of those he made 15 single-figure scores... plus consecutive scores of 241* (dropped twice early on), 60* and 194*. His form there was, with the exception of those 3 innings, very poor.

However, since his operation and the removal of the tennis-elbow from the equation he's played another 26 innings and been dismissed for single-figures just 3 times (2 of these coming in consecutive innings). The worrying thing about this time, however, is that he's made just 1 century and 5 half-centuries in those innings... all bar the most recent 3 (when he actually looked as good as he has since 2002) of which were in the subcontinent on very, very flat pitches. The old Tendulkar would surely, surely, have made far more of this period.

I don't think it's OOTQ to guess that Tendulkar might never again be the force he was in this time here. But equally, to suggest that India's Test side are better-off without him is pure folly IMO, not least because him regaining such form is certainly not impossible.

Curveball Champion!
    There's also the point that who else is there that is a better test batsman than SRT at the moment?

Banned
    Whilst the likes of an average club cricketer (at best) like Paul Collingwood continuing to "grace" the international arena, why on Earth should Tendulkar consider giving up?

Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Saqqy Mush View Post
    Whilst the likes of an average club cricketer (at best) like Paul Collingwood continuing to "grace" the international arena, why on Earth should Tendulkar consider giving up?
    Double hundred.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Double hundred.
    OK fine. I admit it.

Dizzy is a world class test bastman afterall then.

Bangladesh are not a Test-class team.

Collingwood is no more average-club-batsman than Greg Ritchie or Greg Matthews.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    There's also the point that who else is there that is a better test batsman than SRT at the moment?
    That was pretty much what I meant when I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    But equally, to suggest that India's Test side are better-off without him is pure folly IMO
    A middle-order of Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman and Ganguly retains the power to be among the best ever seen.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information