• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Those familiar with the Derbyshire League...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Can anyone tell me exactly how good Dave Halliday was? He played for Duffield first XI last season and scored over 500 runs at over 45. He has played for other clubs in the past too, I believe.

He has moved to Australia now and played against my team's C3 side today.Quite a low level of cricket - in fact there are only two or three levels lower in Sydney. He took 6/5 and looked a million dollars batting to score 33. Obviously, we feel a bit rorted by his presence in the match.

What sort of standard is the Derbyshire County league division 1? Obviously it's a lot higher standard than the standard he played yesterday which is our gripe, but how close is it to first class cricket?

Fiery

Banned
Can anyone tell me exactly how good Dave Halliday was? He played for Duffield first XI last season and scored over 500 runs at over 45. He has played for other clubs in the past too, I believe.

He has moved to Australia now and played against my team's C3 side today.Quite a low level of cricket - in fact there are only two or three levels lower in Sydney. He took 6/5 and looked a million dollars batting to score 33. Obviously, we feel a bit rorted by his presence in the match.

What sort of standard is the Derbyshire County league division 1? Obviously it's a lot higher standard than the standard he played yesterday which is our gripe, but how close is it to first class cricket?
I'll ask John Wright and get back to you

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Generally the structure of a County League is that you have the ECB Premier Division, which is usually filled with never-quite-made-it-at-FC-level, good-enough-but-wanted-a-career, going-to-be-good-but-still-young, and journeymen. If you're any real cop you play in that division in your county.

Below that is usually not particularly exciting: in Devon there is a big drop off from the Premier Division to the A Division, I would imagine it's not dissimilar in Derby - limited players can score big runs.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Generally the structure of a County League is that you have the ECB Premier Division, which is usually filled with never-quite-made-it-at-FC-level, good-enough-but-wanted-a-career, going-to-be-good-but-still-young, and journeymen. If you're any real cop you play in that division in your county.

Below that is usually not particularly exciting: in Devon there is a big drop off from the Premier Division to the A Division, I would imagine it's not dissimilar in Derby - limited players can score big runs.
Right, so it's not a complete atrocity that he played I guess - I thought this compeition might actually be the "never-quite-made-it-at-FC-level, good-enough-but-wanted-a-career, going-to-be-good-but-still-young, and journeymen" level but it appears it was a level below (certain games did include "Jonty Rhodes" and "Travis Friend" although I'm assuming that at least Rhodes was simply a common name..). Given though that, he did dominate at that level, and it'd still be far and away better than the level be played at on Saturday (by Australian cricket standards, he played about eight or nine levels too low..).

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I go and watch my Premier League side fairly often and the standard is reall high. The best sides have a couple of ex-first-class players in their ranks, plus a decent overseas player, often Pakistani or Indian first-class cricketers or Aussie state players. Bowling speeds can be over 80mph regularly. If the Derbyshire Premier is that sort of standard, those are really decent runs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Guh... I'm pretty limited... I still managed no more than 1 run in said division... :dry:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Where did you get the Rhodes/Friend info from?
Scorecards of that league. Rhodes actually played in his team all season - I'm thinking it was just someone with the same name though, especially considering he batted 9 and even had a stint in the Duffield second XI. I found one game and one game only which Travis Friend played in - I'm pretty sure he is/was in Derbyshire last year, so perhaps he was just coming back from injury or was in horrible form for whichever ECB Premier Division team he plays for and got dropped.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Would anyone happen to know if this player is in Derbyshire at all? It's quite a common name I know, but a Michael James is captain of one of the teams in the competition.