• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TMS One Day International all time 11

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was about to say the same about Lara, but then in his prime he was one of the top ODI players in the world. And his career accomplishments are pretty huge. That said, I'd still question his inclusion somewhat.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Utterly ludicrous IMO to do a ODI team that mixes the likes of Richards, Imran and Garner with the 1990s crop.

The game of the '70s and '80s was different to how it has been the last 2 decades and you should do separate teams if you want to do the excercise properly.

Beleg

International Regular
1990+

Saeed Anwar
Adam Gilchrist
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Inzamam
Bevan
Chris Cairns
Wasim Akram
Saqlain Mushtaq
Alan Donald
Glen McGrath

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Imran, Lara and Jayasuria are the contentious spots here IMO, and probably the spinner as well.

Would have Tendulkar opening myself, with someone like Jones or Ponting in the middle order. Don't mind Lara that much, though there are a few other candidates that could challenge him for that spot. Tough to call.

Wouldn't pick Imran based on his record either. His economy rate is the most notable feature, and 3.90 isn't that remarkable for pre-90s ODIs. He was obviously a fine bowler, but as a number 7 I'd rather see Klusener or Kapil picked. Kapil was probably the better striker of the ball, and is better suited to closing the innings. I don't think there's any doubt about Klusener there either. You could also pick Pollock, but he's a bit lacking in the batting area for numbr 7 IMO, like Imran.

Take your pick from Murali, Saqlain and Warne for the spinner's spot.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Jayasuria is a good choice for mine. Very aggressive opener, and you can afford to be with batting depth like this. He could also be useful as a part time spinner as well.

I'd bring Klusener and Murali in for Imran and Warne. Obvious case of two guys very suited to this form of the game over two legends who couldn't match their Test match quality.

I'm a bit iffy about Lara as well, and I'd like to bring in another middle order bat from the earlier era, but I can't think of anyone better off the top of my head.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
i would replace tendulkar with miandad in the tms team
sure tendulkar has better stats but always fails when it comes to the crunch situation

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
1990+

Saeed Anwar
Adam Gilchrist
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Inzamam
Bevan
Chris Cairns
Wasim Akram
Saqlain Mushtaq
Alan Donald
Glen McGrath
Murali > Saqqie\Bhajji IMO.

I'd also prefer Bevan at three to Lara.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Bevan is a finisher.

Post-1990
*Gilchrist
Jayasuriya
De Silva
Tendulkar
Lara
Bevan
Cairns
Wasim Akram
Muralitharan
Donald
McGrath

I feel like I've missed out on a quality batsman.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bevan is a finisher.

Post-1990
*Gilchrist
Jayasuriya
De Silva
Tendulkar
Lara
Bevan
Cairns
Wasim Akram
Muralitharan
Donald
McGrath

Inzamam maybe?

Mr Mxyzptlk

i would replace tendulkar with miandad in the tms team
sure tendulkar has better stats but always fails when it comes to the crunch situation
Anyone who denies Tendulkar a spot in an all-time ODI XI needs to wipe the bias from his eyes. I really hope that was a joke.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bevan is a finisher.
Well, that's what he got the chance to be in Australia's side. Personally, I'd have given him the chance at three. The best ODI batsman of his age deserves a chance to bat in the best position, three.
Post-1990
*Gilchrist
Jayasuriya
De Silva
Tendulkar
Lara
Bevan
Cairns
Wasim Akram
Muralitharan
Donald
McGrath

While I'd have Aravinda in any side which was my own, I can't see how he merits a place in a top-players team.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Well, that's what he got the chance to be in Australia's side. Personally, I'd have given him the chance at three. The best ODI batsman of his age deserves a chance to bat in the best position, three.
Being the best ODI batsman doesn't make you the best suited to the "best" position.

Bevan became the best ODI batsman of his era batting at 4. You can't assume that he would have gone as well or higher at 3.