• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TMS One Day International all time 11

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How is and ODI World XI based on domestic cricket?
Same way any cricket is based on any other of the same sort.

One-day cricket is one-day cricket, regardless of the level played at. IMO you'd do well, while picking a ODI World XI, to look at domestic and international one-day cricket, and to ignore either completely would be folly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's not a List-A all time XI. It's an ODI all time XI. Hence, performances from ODIs should be all that are taken into account.
It's an all-time XI that you'd pick for a ODI against The Venus, Saturn And Pluto Combined XI.

Not an all-time XI based on happenings only at the very top level of the one-day game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IMO you could say Jayasuria did NOT invent pinch-hitting...didn't NZ n 1992 use Mark Greatbatch to do the same job
No, Surrey invented pinch-hitting - they used to promote Arthur MacIntyre in the 1950s when they were chasing a target.

Greatbatch in his time was an exception - there had been others before. A long time before, in fact, as I demonstrated. Nobody copied NZ's use of him as a ODI opener. Yet Jayasuriya and Kaluwitharana were the start of a trend. Soon Pakistan were opening with Anwar and Afridi - a little later India with Ganguly and Sehwag. Zimbabwe with Johnson and Flower in between. Australia with Mark Waugh and Gilchrist round about the same time. New Zealand opened with Astle for ages. Only in West Indies, South Africa and England has being an opening-batsman routinely been the same in a one-day game as in a longer one. And that all started with Jayasuriya and Kaluwitharana. Indeed, of course, Jayasuriya became a proper opener, to boot.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Worst team ever. I doubt you get 40 overs out of that side let alone 50.
That wasn't a serious team. I know you haven't been around that long, but you don't take Shane Warne\BingLeeElectric\Saqqy Mush\The Sticky Dog\Legga (I don't know how many there have been, maybe 10 or 15) seriously. He's just a dumbaess.

Worst team ever. I doubt you get 40 overs out of that side let alone 50.
6 million would be on the board, after the first powerplay, so it wouldn't matter.

9 out of the 11 are decent enough one day bowlers with enough variety to juggle around & defend such a total.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
That wasn't a serious team. I know you haven't been around that long, but you don't take Shane Warne\BingLeeElectric\Saqqy Mush\The Sticky Dog\Legga (I don't know how many there have been, maybe 10 or 15) seriously. He's just a dumbaess.
:laugh:

I know exactly who he, the nasty little ****. I just like arguing with him that's all :laugh:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One-day cricket is one-day cricket, regardless of the level played at. IMO you'd do well, while picking a ODI World XI, to look at domestic and international one-day cricket, and to ignore either completely would be folly.
Wait. Is this your latest thing?

Are you now arguing that an ODI XI (as in one-day International XI) should be picked based on domestic OD stats too? You never cease to amaze.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's an XI of what you think the best ODI team would be. Based on... whatever you want to base it on, really.

And I'd go for Bevan at three, if it was my personal choice.

shortpitched713

International Captain
The game of the '70s and '80s was different to how it has been the last 2 decades and you should do separate teams if you want to do the excercise properly.
Any comments/suggestions regarding my '70s-'80s ODI team? Personally, I can't think of a single player who I would replace with someone else.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
^^^^
'70s-'80s
Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes
Dean Jones
Zaheer Abbas
Viv Richards*
Kapil Dev
Rod Marsh+
Richard Hadlee
Abdul Qadir
Michael Holding
Joel Garner

Would make an excellent Test team as well, but that goes to show the nature of ODIs in this time period.
It would, and it does.

That do ya? ;)

shortpitched713

International Captain
Well I was looking more along the lines of any changes that you would make for the team, sparking off a possibly pointless argument about the deficiencies of the Continental System in maintaining French allied support during the Napoleonic era, but I suppose I'll settle for agreement and the implicit recognition that this ODI side is perfect and that my skill at creating such sides is without peer. ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I honestly couldn't think of anyone else who demanded selection.

And I wholesomely agree that they were far, far more Test-like in those days - for that reason.