• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TMS One Day International all time 11

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can't I?

Despite the fact he excelled beyond precedent at three in domestic comps?

IMO Bevan would be unequivocally recognised as the best ODI batsman of his era - none of this "Tendulkar hit more boundaries" rubbish - had he been given the chance, early in his career, to bat at three.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So he hasn't done what he did at the domestic level, now?

He has and IMO that means he deserves the chance to bat three in international cricket.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So he hasn't done what he did at the domestic level, now?
Did I say he hasn't?
He has and IMO that means he deserves the chance to bat three in international cricket.
Maybe, but if he were playing for Australia. As he isn't, and he only ever played 3 innings at number 3 - scoring 17 and 0 in two of them - he doesn't deserve to be picked as a number 3.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Did I say he hasn't?
You said "you pick him for what he's done, not what he might have done". Thereby suggesting that he hadn't done anything batting three. Yet he patently has.
Maybe, but if he were playing for Australia. As he isn't, and he only ever played 3 innings at number 3 - scoring 17 and 0 in two of them - he doesn't deserve to be picked as a number 3.
Why do you only have to go on what happened for Australia? Why can't you use NSW and Sussex too?

IMO Bevan has done more than anyone else to merit the most important position in the ultimate ODI side of the modern-ODI era.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You said "you pick him for what he's done, not what he might have done". Thereby suggesting that he hadn't done anything batting three. Yet he patently has.

Why do you only have to go on what happened for Australia? Why can't you use NSW and Sussex too?
This isn't a list-A world XI.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a World XI based on List-A one-day cricket - that cricket can be either international or domestic IMO and it'd be foolish to totally disregard one or the other.

pskov

International 12th Man
I was looking up stats for some players for this and was shocked to see Zaheer Abbas' ODI record. Of course, I knew he was a class batsman, but he averaged over 47.62 with a strikerate of 84.80 in ODIs. Considering his ODI career was 1974-85, that's absolutely phenomenal.

Fiery

Banned
I was looking up stats for some players for this and was shocked to see Zaheer Abbas' ODI record. Of course, I knew he was a class batsman, but he averaged over 47.62 with a strikerate of 84.80 in ODIs. Considering his ODI career was 1974-85, that's absolutely phenomenal.
Zaheer Abbas is one of the most unsung players in cricket history. His ability to hit any ball through the covers, regardless of length, with sublime wrist work was unreal. (and the on-side for that matter) There was an effortless grace to his batting that perhaps only David Gower ever came close to.

Last edited:

shortpitched713

International Captain
'70s-'80s
Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes
Dean Jones
Zaheer Abbas
Viv Richards*
Kapil Dev
Rod Marsh+
Richard Hadlee
Abdul Qadir
Michael Holding
Joel Garner

Would make an excellent Test team as well, but that goes to show the nature of ODIs in this time period.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Gilchrist
Tendulkar
Richards
Lara
Ponting
Bevan
Imran Khan (c)
Hadlee
Ambrose
Garner
Murali

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Pratyush,

you'll have Imran and Hadlee ahead of Wasim Akram in an ODI team?
There are a lot of advantages of having Wasim Akram in the team. The variations he provided, the way he could cause trouble even on the flattest of tracks and every thing else made him one of the best bowlers of all time.

Imran Khan is in the team at number 7 to play the role of an all rounder. He could bat as well (with an average of over 30) apart from being no muck with the ball. Wasim cannot take that spot for me because his batting average of 16.52 doesn't cut it.

Then, there is Hadlee v Akram. Hadlee's ODI bowling is phenomenal as is Akram's. Hadlee's stats: Ave of 21.56 and eco of 3.30. Now even in an era where runs were not scored that fast, an economy of 3.3 is amazing, not to forget the average. Add to that, the batting of Hadlee is stronger (batting average - 21.61). Hadlee offers more than Akram for me. Given also that the tail of my team is pretty weak batting wise (Ambrose, Garner, Murali), some one like Hadlee at 8 is a better option for me.

Akram's stats of an average of 23.52 and economy of 3.89 is very good as well, particlarly in an era when batting became stronger. However, I cannot put him ahead of Ambrose or Garner for one day cricket.

Akram would remain in the squad of 13 or 15 and on lifeless pitches , he could probably come in ahead of Hadlee for the variations Akram offered as well as because the batting of the tail would mostly not be required on a flattish wicket.

Last edited:

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Just found this http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tms/2007/01/tms_alltime_world_odi_xi.shtml

Adam Gilchrist (wkt)
Sanath Jayasuriya
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Michael Bevan
Imran Khan (capt)
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Joel Garner
Glenn McGrath

Any arguments?
not many but...Tendulkar to open with Ponting taking Sachin's spot at four. IMO you could say Jayasuria did NOT invent pinch-hitting...didn't NZ n 1992 use Mark Greatbatch to do the same job but because NZ didn't win that tournament and because they played in their own country when most of the focus was on Australia it meant he did not get the credit he deserved. And I would go for Pollock instead of Garner because Shaun bowls in the "power play" era. How would "Big Bird" cope with batsmen goung down the pitch to him?

Beleg

International Regular
Personally, I'd pick Saeed Anwar ahead of Jayasuria. Anwar could score at almost the same clip, without being as careless with his wicket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's a World XI based on List-A one-day cricket - that cricket can be either international or domestic IMO and it'd be foolish to totally disregard one or the other.
It's not a List-A all time XI. It's an ODI all time XI. Hence, performances from ODIs should be all that are taken into account.