• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best In-swinging fast bowlers !

Best In swingers ?

• Total voters

FRAZ

International Captain
I have just noticed that mastering the out-swing is often given importance over the in-swing (Especially the tests) .Which team has the fast bowlers who bowl the in-swinging deliveries better than the others !
It's based upon the recent performances !!!!!!!

Last edited:

FRAZ

International Captain
I don't think that after Wasim ,Waqar and Shoaib any one else from the Pakistani camp has been effective in this department of the game .

stumpski

International Captain
In his day Waqar Younis was the master of the fast in-swinging yorker - ask Graeme Hick. Obviously at slightly lower pace (80-90 mph) the away-swinging ball - to the right-hander, obviously, is considered the more effective ball - that's why the slips and gully are there, - but it's always useful to send the odd one the other way. Isn't that all reverse swing is, after all, in-swing with an out-swinger's action? The fast bowler's googly, you could say.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Osman put it interestingly in one of his recent beamoans at Pakistan's catching ineptitude, and it was something that upon reading I wondered why on Earth I hadn't thought about before.

Why was it that Pakistani bowlers became so adept at inswingers? Because the outswinger was so unreliable if you were a Pakistani, due to the high chance of a catch in the slips or to the wicketkeeper (despite Pakistan having plenty of fine wicketkeepers in their time) being put down.

Most other teams have almost always had fine slippers, so the outswinger was the best option.

Given that the inswinger really needs to be Yorker-length to be a deadly delivery, whereas the outswinger can be any variety of lengths.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think that after Wasim ,Waqar and Shoaib any one else from the Pakistani camp has been effective in this department of the game .
:laugh::lol::laugh::lol::laugh::lol::laugh::lol: at you voting for England, though!

Before Flintoff and Jones last summer, I struggle to think of when an England bowler last had any real notable success with inswing. Gough was always more famous for his outswingers with new than inswingers with old.

And as for Sri Lanka... aside from Laaaasith Maaaalinga (a very, very recent addition), who on Earth has ever bowled inswingers to a like-hander (Vaas - a left-armer - to the left-hander bowls almost exclusively outswingers) given that SL have had virtually no seamers of note?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The only bowler I can think of in the world today that has real success bowling almost exclusively inswingers (with conventional swing) is Shane Bond. His stock ball swings in to the right-hander.

Most bowlers simply cultivate actions which assist outswing because it's generally easier to control and gives you more wicket taking options. And of course, it's relatively rare that a bowler of good pace swings the ball both ways conventionally, though there are exceptions. Most bowlers favour one delivery or the other and develop different "variety" deliveries. You'll occasionally see someone like Brett Lee or whoever bowl an inswinger that actually does something, but it's not a major weapon.

Obviously your Andrew Symonds types swing the ball both ways much more often. Not that it helps much at international level.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The only bowler I can think of in the world today that has real success bowling almost exclusively inswingers (with conventional swing) is Shane Bond. His stock ball swings in to the right-hander.
True, I'd forgotten about him. Even more unusually, he bowls inswing via the new-ball, not the old one.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Personally, I can't think of a single Pakistan pace bowler of repute who can't bowl the reverse inswinger, so I'm not exactly sure what your talking about.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Has Chris Martin ever swung a ball in his life?
You kidding? He's swung it absolute miles before. There was a game in the '05 series against Australia where he bowled about 10 overs of massive outswingers to Langer and Hayden. Swinging a couple of feet.

He swings it most matches, really. He just isn't very good after it stops swinging.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've only ever seen him move it off the seam, into the right-handers.

I haven't watched him a hell of a lot, no.

FRAZ

International Captain
Personally, I can't think of a single Pakistan pace bowler of repute who can't bowl the reverse inswinger, so I'm not exactly sure what your talking about.
Apart from Rana who does it (In-swing) too often . And I don't want to mention Shoaib Akhtar because he is not considered as a legend by a few so I don't want him to be mentioned along with any dirty dozen !!!

FRAZ

International Captain
at you voting for England, though!

I struggle to think of when an England bowler last had any real notable success with inswing.
First of all my voting for England is a debateable issue . Secondly , I think that English bowlers do try a lot to bring the ball in (more than others) . And thirdly, Their success rate is NOT the basic issue over here !!!

Last edited:

FRAZ

International Captain
btw ,It's like once in the century incident to witness me accompanied by some one else in front of any voting choice option .
Thanks Speersy !!!