• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Neil Fairbrother ?

dass

Banned
what is he doing these days? i miss him so much, i think he was one England's best oneday batsmen but i also think he was always underrated.

Fiery

Banned
what is he doing these days? i miss him so much, i think he was one England's best oneday batsmen but i also think he was always underrated.
He played his last ODI in 1999 and retired from county cricket in 2002. According to Cricinfo, he's now a player agent. Andrew Flintoff is one of his clients.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He works, IIRR, for "Chubby" Chandler, because he has so many useful contacts in the Lancs dressing-room.

stumpski

International Captain
He played his last ODI in 1999 and retired from county cricket in 2002. According to Cricinfo, he's now a player agent. Andrew Flintoff is one of his clients.
He's one of those who Flintoff has credited with motivating him to get in shape and make the most of his natural ability. So, indirectly responsible for the 2005 Ashes win. ;)

dass

Banned
one thing i dont understand is why did Fairbrother only play 75 ODI's in a career expanding from 1987 to 1999 ? . why was he dropped from the English team so many times in the middle of his career? and the weird thing is he was never really out of form, he was always averaging near 40 till the end of career.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From memory Neil Fairbrother was dropped for the first time when he averaged in the mid20s early in his career and he was played pretty consistently since his recall. England didn't play many ODIs. Of course, I could be hugely mistaken.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
one thing i dont understand is why did Fairbrother only play 75 ODI's in a career expanding from 1987 to 1999 ? . why was he dropped from the English team so many times in the middle of his career? and the weird thing is he was never really out of form, he was always averaging near 40 till the end of career.
That was before we played three ODIs a week... anyway, he never really established himself until WC 1991. Then got jettisoned after a poor WC 1996.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
IIRC didn't he repeatedly get dropped due to England "looking to the future" and then recalled just before the World Cups due to us having no-one better?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty much.

Shame the same couldn't happen now with Ealham and Gough.
Did Fairbrother do a lot in the 1996 & 1999 WC's though? I'm not quibbling about his overall record, but I don't recall him being a great advert for recycling players who were past their best.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
I always liked fairbrother. One of those batsmen that were fun to watch. Ealham was good to watch too (still is i spose)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well I've always preferred his bowling, personally, I've never really seen any of the famed Ealhie tours-de-force with the bat. Don't take any interest in the Twenty20.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
In the interests of grammar, "tour-de-forces" is not a plural. It is a single tour of many forces.

The correct pluralisation would be tours-de-force.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's the second thread in instant succession where I've thought of Jafar when reading a post of yours.