• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Neil Fairbrother ?

tooextracool

International Coach
Yeh, im not saying he was great or anything. Didnt he score 90 in 30 balls in a 2020 last summer? Something always happens when hes batting. And uv gotta love that waddle to the crease when hes bowling lol
ealham could certainly hit the ball a long way on occasion. However just didnt have the brain to match it up with his power.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well Stewart certainly didn't.

Some people do fail against the best attacks going round, you know, it's not the most heinous crime to be unable to score freely off McGrath and co.

tooextracool

International Coach
Stewart wasnt exactly one of the better ODI batsmen, certainly he was less effective in ODIs than he was in tests. Hes still by far Englands best wicket keeper batsman in that form though, and i thought contrary to all expectation, he actually did quite well batting down the order towards the end of his career.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I personally think it's a shame he was shoved around so much in both careers.

He did well enough as it is - had he been given one role early on - be it wicketkeeping-down-the-order or opening without the gloves - he'd have gone down either as one of England's greatest openers or possibly the best wicketkeeper-batsman pre-Gilchrist.

tooextracool

International Coach
I dont think it would have mattered too much. Stewart was too much a strokemaker like Slater to achieve more than what he did in ODI cricket. i think he should have batted down the order more often, because England always had openers coming into ODI cricket- Smith, Atherton, Knight, Trescothick who could have done the job anyways.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I too would have preferred him to bat down the order more, especially in ODIs. I don't think he'd neccessarily have done too much better in terms of average (for the Slater-Vaughan-Laxman-etc. reasons), just that he had more to offer the side down there.

I thought you said Atherton was a poor ODI player, though?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
By many, indeed.

Nonetheless he managed to score runs - something that was beyond many.

deira

Banned
Fairbrother was a great fighter, i still remember his great innings in the 1992 world up final against Pakistan, even though England lost . That inning made him really famous in Pakistan.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So, technically, was Andrew "Chubby" Chandler at the top of the chain. I shall from this day be lobbying Parliament for Andrew Chandler MBE.