• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian test batting lineup

JaiMurugan

Cricket Spectator
Ok, it's well known that Indian batsmen struggle against swing and seam but that's something I think needs to be addressed at a grassroots level and on a more long trem basis.
But what's more pressing is the fact that the current players in the Indian batting lineup have shown little resolve or positive intent when their backs have been pressed to a
wall or the opposition in a period of play gains the upper hand.

Consider this:
1) Last day at Bangalore 2005 - India batted thru the first session fairly comfortably but when Sehwag was dismissed, the rest of the players when into their shell, played for time and in the process got humbled.
2) Karachi 2006 - Again a complete shambles and no-one was able to grit it out when the going got tough. No-one had the gumption to play an innings like Kamran Akmal produced.
3) Mumbai 2006 - England had the upper hand going into the final day but for India to capitulate the way they did (they were bolwed out in a ridiculously low number of overs) was disgraceful.
4) Cape Town 2007 - The icing on the cake. India were what 2-90 in their 2nd dig with a 40 run lead from the first innings and got bowled out for 160 odd.
Its pitiful that Dinesh Karthik was able to score so freely in the 2nd innings and none of the major batsmen were able to do so especially against Paul Harris. Guys like Tendulkar, Laxman and Dravid have given Warne grief and yet Harris was too good for them !
Head should roll after this.......

Its patently obvious that the likes of Tendulkar, Sehwag, Laxman and Ganguly have been dining out for too long on past reputations
Tendulkar has to retire after the WC imho - for his sake and India's. I hate to say this but it is painful to watch Tendulkar bat these days.
Ditto Ganguly - I respect Ganguly as one of the better captains India had but he turns 35 in July and I think his time is up.
Sehwag needs to be dropped to show that he doesn't have a right to a position in the team.
Laxman needs to be put on notice that he needs to perform with a greater level of consistency.

India don't have a great deal of middle order options but my test batting lineup for Bangladesh/England would be something like:
Jaffer
Gambhir/Uthappa
Dravid
Laxman
Badrinath
Kaif
Dhoni/DK

Kaif especially needs a proper run of a few uninterrupted tests to see what he's capable of. I can't believe India dumped him when he averages 63 over his last 5 tests and actually made runs under pressure against a strong Aussie aattack in 2004/2005 and probably saved India from defeat against England at Nagpur in 2006.
The fact he can make runs in tough situations is a big plus point for him

Thoughts ?

adharcric

International Coach
JaiMurugan said:
Tendulkar has to retire after the WC imho - for his sake and India's. I hate to say this but it is painful to watch Tendulkar bat these days.
He showed positive signs in the first two tests in South Africa but he does need to start scoring big runs. England should be his last chance.
JaiMurugan said:
Ditto Ganguly - I respect Ganguly as one of the better captains India had but he turns 35 in July and I think his time is up.
A year late? That would be appropriate back when he was dropped but he was quite impressive in this series.
JaiMurugan said:
Sehwag needs to be dropped to show that he doesn't have a right to a position in the team.
Yes. As good as his record may be, I don't want Sehwag in the side until he can stop being an idiot against the new ball. Jaffer-Gambhir against England.
JaiMurugan said:
Laxman needs to be put on notice that he needs to perform with a greater level of consistency.
He too showed positive signs in South Africa, but yes he does. In fact, everyone needs to be put on notice at all times. Even if you perform well, you have to keep doing it.
JaiMurugan said:
Kaif especially needs a proper run of a few uninterrupted tests to see what he's capable of. I can't believe India dumped him when he averages 63 over his last 5 tests and actually made runs under pressure against a strong Aussie aattack in 2004/2005 and probably saved India from defeat against England at Nagpur in 2006.
The fact he can make runs in tough situations is a big plus point for him.
Kaif has definitely been treated like crap in the test side, but he shouldn't be in the team right now. Tendulkar, Laxman and Ganguly need to score big in England and Yuvraj needs to prove himself as a test-class batsman. If that doesn't happen, it's time to look at Kaif, Raina, Badrinath, Venugopal, ... new options.

Jaffer, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly, Karthik, Kumble, Zaheer, Sreesanth, Munaf (subject to fitness)

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That line-up is about as likely to get us quaking in our boots as any Indian team since 1971 IMO.

adharcric

International Coach
No Yuvraj? I'd probably have both Dhoni and Yuvraj. English wickets tend to be decent for batting these days.
Let's see. Ganguly will be ahead of Yuvraj to start with IMO. Karthik is a strong bet as well.
I can see Flintoff causing Yuvraj problems with reverse swing from around the wicket.
Possibly. Yuvraj's problem in test cricket has traditionally been a tendency to drive expansively outside off too much but he probably hasn't faced quality reverse swing before.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Or quality conventional-swing, for that matter.

And for the batsman, quality swing is the same whether it's conventional or reverse.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
English wickets tend to be decent for batting these days.
It depends. Certainly there are far more flat ones than there used to be, but in the last couple of seasons there have been a few more that have offered a bit. Not to mention that there have never ceased to be a few that befriend anyone who picks-up a ball (Trent Bridge and Headingley 2003, Lord's 2005, Old Trafford 2006).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally Karthik has much the better case but I'd be very, very surprised if Dhoni doesn't start India's next Test.

adharcric

International Coach
I'd be slightly surprised if Karthik donned the gloves in the next test. The management has made their affinity for Dhoni clear but they obviously rate Karthik highly as well.