• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers Songs

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It was a hit in 1996, right at the height of Britpop, the last time I was really 'into' new music I suppose. Not the sort of thing I'd rush out and buy but it was quite a catchy tune.
Return Of The Mack isn't Britpop though - it's bonafide '90s dance!

I'm highly fond of copious amounts of both in a nostalgic way (the tune has to be right, obviously, but I love both styles) but, while I'll very happily listen to the two simualtaneously (to pick a couple from 1994 and 1995: Saturday Night by Whigfield and Wake Up Boo by Boo Radleys), I couldn't call one the other!

stumpski

International Captain
Return Of The Mack isn't Britpop though - it's bonafide '90s dance!

I'm highly fond of copious amounts of both in a nostalgic way (the tune has to be right, obviously, but I love both styles) but, while I'll very happily listen to the two simualtaneously (to pick a couple from 1994 and 1995: Saturday Night by Whigfield and Wake Up Boo by Boo Radleys), I couldn't call one the other!
I didn't say it was Britpop, but it was in the mix with all the Britpop bands, making it hard to ignore even if I'd wanted to. David Soul had number 1 records at the height of punk, didn't make him one.

I think the Boo Radleys 'Wake Up' might have been the last new album I bought on vinyl. :dry:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ah right, I see what you'z on about.

I never even knew vinyl still existed in 1995. It was all about these new "CD" thingies.

stumpski

International Captain
It was certainly difficult to get new releases on vinyl by then, don't know why I made that particular purchase in that format. I'd had a CD player for 2 or 3 years.

I used to buy a lot of new releases on cassette to listen to on my walkman while commuting to work - can you even buy cassettes any more?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I can't believe singles (and albums) are still released on cassette. Can get them easily in charity-shops, but I've not seen a new release on tape since about 2001 (might've been still available for a little while after that).

My first few purchases were all cassettes and all the listening I did before I started buying was on cassette (mostly home-recorded from my Dad's vinyl and new-fangled CDs). I've never bought a piece of vinyl in my life (hardly ever buy hard copies any more at all - mostly download these days) but have only started using walkmans fairly recently. Got me a CD-walkman in about 2004, which I've never used massively, and have had a cassette walkman on the go since about 1994, which has been used on and off all my time of having it (and still gets used occasionally) but my MP3-player, which I got just over a year ago, is the thing, and that's increased my on-the-go listening 100-fold.