• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers Songs

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I speak nought but a few words of any languages other than English.

Certainly cannot translate anything on that jar.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Chickie's from Antigua.

Anyway, usually the teams that participate in the VB/CB series have songs for each player when he comes out to bat or when a fresh bowling spell begins. Sort of like an introductory song. For example, every year M.J. Clarke chooses It's my life- Bon Jovi.
Last year Lee had I believe in a thing called love- The Darkness and in 2005, his song was Seven Nation Army- The White Stripes. Last year Bracken had Pump It- Black Eyed Peas. Afridi had a Bhangra song back in '05.
That is so very wrong...last year it was

Gilchrist The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
Ponting Robbie Williams - Let Me Entertain You
Symonds Grinspoon - Hard Act To Follow
Clarke Eminem - Lose Yourself
Hopes Oh Yeah - End Of Fashion

I can't remember the bowler's

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gilchrist The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
Yes, now you mention that I remember Gilchrist and dunnnnnnn, dun-dun, dun, dun-dunnnnnn-dunnnnnnn.

(I always classify White Stripes songs as "dun, dun, dun", etc. Fell In Love With A Girl is "DunDerDunDerDudduDunDerDunDerDuddu")

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes, now you mention that I remember Gilchrist and dunnnnnnn, dun-dun, dun, dun-dunnnnnn-dunnnnnnn.

(I always classify White Stripes songs as "dun, dun, dun", etc. Fell In Love With A Girl is "DunDerDunDerDudduDunDerDunDerDuddu")
Go nuts

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha.

Many of my fave instrumentals are not guitar riffs but piano\keyboard ones.

A-Ha and Take On Me, for instance.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
11 great songs about cricket

Apropos of Neil Hanlon's (him in a suit out of The Divine Comedy) forthcoming cricket-themed concept album (no, really) there's an interesting article listing the 11 best songs about cricket in The Guardian. Helpfully provides links to the songs too.

Standards like Bradman & Dreadlock Holiday make the list and it warms this John Peel fan's heart to see ****in' 'Ell, It's Fred Titmus by the immortal Half Man Half Biscuit make the cut at number 8. There's also a song by The Kinks called Cricket which, shamefully, I'd never heard before.

Anyway, enjoy. :)

stumpski

International Captain
I actually quite like Howzat by the Australian band Sherbet which usually features on lists like these - despite it's being used ad nauseam in one-day games.

Talking of which, I gather that when the England team were asked to nominate a song to accompany them to the wicket on their 1997 tour of New Zealand, Tuffers opted for Cigarettes and Alcohol. May be a myth that one, but I'd like to think it's true.

And apparently the 1970-71 Ashes squad recorded a single, in the wake of their footballing counterparts' Back Home - but didn't make it into the charts, despite enjoying rather more success on the field.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Talking of which, I gather that when the England team were asked to nominate a song to accompany them to the wicket on their 1997 tour of New Zealand, Tuffers opted for Cigarettes and Alcohol. May be a myth that one, but I'd like to think it's true.
I know that tour was certainly the only time I've ever heard Mark Morrison at the cricket.

stumpski

International Captain
Who was that for then? They could use it twice nowadays - for McCullum and McGlashan.

(assuming you mean Return of the Mack that is)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, impressive that one of your generation remembers t'song at all. :thumbup1:

Given it was his only hit of significance (and the only one I'm especially familiar with), yes, it was indeed the one I was referring to. I think it was played purely because of the phenomenalness of its impact rather than as any player's song.

It would indeed, however, be rather good to have it played after McCullum had successfully challenged an "out" decision, however.

stumpski

International Captain
Haha, impressive that one of your generation remembers t'song at all. :thumbup1:

Given it was his only hit of significance (and the only one I'm especially familiar with), yes, it was indeed the one I was referring to. I think it was played purely because of the phenomenalness of its impact rather than as any player's song.

It would indeed, however, be rather good to have it played after McCullum had successfully challenged an "out" decision, however.
It was a hit in 1996, right at the height of Britpop, the last time I was really 'into' new music I suppose. Not the sort of thing I'd rush out and buy but it was quite a catchy tune.

GOSBTS for any player I like
I have no idea what that is, though. An acronym of some sort?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Mark Waugh used to use Mr Natural which was pretty fair. Jason Gillespie might have used wrestler Triple H's The Game for a while IIRC.