• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you think are the best and worst odi captains currently?

pup11

International Coach
With world cup just around the corner lets see which captain might have the most prized trophy in cricketing circuit. i think ponting is the best captain followed closely by fleming because you could always argue he leads a less talented side but still his results are not to bad. The worst would have to be grame smith because he talks a lot but doesn't back it up with performances or consistent results.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Michael Vaughan is excellent - look at the difference he made in England's match against NZ in Hobart.

pup11

International Coach
But does vaughan has the performance to even hold a spot in the odi side or his captainsy is the only criteria for his selection.

Fiery

Banned
With world cup just around the corner lets see which captain might have the most prized trophy in cricketing circuit. i think ponting is the best captain followed closely by fleming because you could always argue he leads a less talented side but still his results are not to bad. The worst would have to be grame smith because he talks a lot but doesn't back it up with performances or consistent results.
Ponting's not a great captain. A monkey could captain Australia to victory but I suppose he does look like a shaved chimp

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But does vaughan has the performance to even hold a spot in the odi side or his captainsy is the only criteria for his selection.
Is that really relevant though? I thought this thread was about who the best captain was, not who the best cricketer was out of all the captains...

Anyway, I rate both Vaughan and Fleming very highly as captains - either one of them would do me as "best captain."

I think Ponting and Inzamam would be amongst the worst.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
There's no way Ponting is anywhere near the worst, particularly not in ODIs.

Anyway, I'm not sure you can distinguish that clearly between test and ODI captaincy, but I'd rank Vaughan, Fleming and Ponting as the best captains in world cricket ATM, in that order. Inzamam and Lara the worst.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Lara the worst? Did you watch any West Indies cricket at all last year? Not only did the West Indies have a winning ODI record for the first time in however long, but Lara led the side superbly for the most part. He managed his bowlers especially well. Baffling comment, that.

Flintoff is probably the worst ODI captain at the moment.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ponting's not a great captain. A monkey could captain Australia to victory but I suppose he does look like a shaved chimp
****s me how people say that. Look how we lost the ashes in 05... Pontings captaincy took a fair brunt of the blame. Now that he's won them back though "any moneky could captain australia". 8-)

Fleming, Vaughan & Ponting imo are the 3 best captains, Fleming & Vaughan have it over him tactics wise, but that gap is slowly narrowing. When it comes to be leading by exmaple though, Ponting has it all over them.

For those who think that Pontings captaincy is quite horrible etc. take note of the match he missed in the DLF cup where Hussey was captain. There was a quite noticable difference in field placements & bowling changes/tactics, none of them were for the better though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Fleming, Vaughan & Ponting imo are the 3 best captains, Fleming & Vaughan have it over him tactics wise, but that gap is slowly narrowing. When it comes to be leading by exmaple though, Ponting has it all over them.
TBF, that's not a great argument for Ponting. It's not the strongest I've heard. Consider that Lara has it over Vaughan and Fleming when it comes to leading by example too. But he's not as good a captain, all things considered. That said, I rate Ponting's captain of late. About 8 months ago, I wouldn't have said the same.

Mr Mxyzptlk

For those who think that Pontings captaincy is quite horrible etc. take note of the match he missed in the DLF cup where Hussey was captain. There was a quite noticable difference in field placements & bowling changes/tactics, none of them were for the better though.
I also don't quite see the relevance of this. All that proves is that Ponting and Hussey have different and/or distinctive styles of captaincy. It says nothing about quality.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Agree, but why?
He does not have the team, the results, the experience, but c'mon its freddie flintoff!
It's blatantly obvious watching his man management, field placings and general inability to inspire the team. Flintoff was far more inspirational as the team's talisman, rather than the captain.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I also don't quite see the relevance of this. All that proves is that Ponting and Hussey have different and/or distinctive styles of captaincy. It says nothing about quality.
The styles may be different, just as Pontings style is different to say Vaughans, however, Hussey's style was largely ineffective, something which Pontings is not in ODI's.

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
TBF, that's not a great argument for Ponting. It's not the strongest I've heard. Consider that Lara has it over Vaughan and Fleming when it comes to leading by example too. But he's not as good a captain, all things considered. That said, I rate Ponting's captain of late. About 8 months ago, I wouldn't have said the same.
Worded it wrong i'll admit. I do belive that Fleming & Vaughan are superior captains, but imo the gap is closing, due to Pontings improvement, and because of his ability to inspire/lead by example

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
How many captains could lead by example the way ricky does i mean even steve waugh doesn't match up to him on that front,as for vaughan i think a captain should always lead from the front which i haven't seen him do,when england did well it was due to KP,tresco,fred,giles,collingwood,harmison doing great at odi level vaughan has a good cricket brain but that doesn't make him a good enough player to stay in the team.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I just don't know where one sentence finishes and the next starts

Anyway, IMO, Vaughan isn't as good an ODI skipper as he is Test, just as he isn't anywhere near as good an ODI player as he is Test. Nonetheless, he's clearly better than any other options we have atm. We looked half-decent with Vaughan in charge at the start of this series, and when you consider how dire we have looked at times in the last 15 months in ODIs, that is an achievement.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The worst would have to be grame smith because he talks a lot but doesn't back it up with performances or consistent results.
What utter bull****, that'd be why he averages 38.47 in ODIs and why South Africa's last 41 ODIs read just 11 losses (Zimbabwe games excluded)?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
****s me how people say that. Look how we lost the ashes in 05... Pontings captaincy took a fair brunt of the blame. Now that he's won them back though "any moneky could captain australia". 8-)
Simple fact of the matter is, the former is bull**** and the latter is quite true. Ponting's captaincy in 2005 was nowhere near as poor as it was portrayed over here, but equally a poor captain could not make Australia much of a lesser side at the current time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who do you think are the best and worst odi captains currently?
IMO the only man who is obviously a very good captain is Stephen Fleming. There are plenty of perfectly passable captains who do all that is neccessary (Ponting, Vaughan, Smith, Jayawardene, Lara, Dravid) and Inzamam is clearly the least good ODI captain.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Lara the worst? Did you watch any West Indies cricket at all last year? Not only did the West Indies have a winning ODI record for the first time in however long, but Lara led the side superbly for the most part. He managed his bowlers especially well. Baffling comment, that.

Flintoff is probably the worst ODI captain at the moment.
I only saw the ODIs the West Indies played in the DLF Cup and the CT, so I'm going off those. It may be that his captaincy was better elsewhere, but I wasn't particularly impressed in either tournament. Wasn't a fan of his bowler or field management at all. He's not the worst I've ever seen, but after Inzy (and Flintoff, who I didn't include because he's not a full time captain) he's the worst going around IMO.

After Vaughan, Fleming and Ponting, I'd say Jayawardene is clearly better than Lara as well, and then you've got Inzy at the bottom who is pretty shocking. Smith and Dravid are probably around the Lara level as well, and it's a bit hard to seperate them unless you watch every game, which obviously few of us can. Lara struck me as making more errors than either of the other two in recent times though, and I'd rank them ahead. On the minnows, it's pretty much impossible to judge Bashar, and I don't even know who is captaining Zimbabwe at the moment as it seems to change every series.