Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you think are the best and worst odi captains currently?

Who do you think are the best and worst odi captains currently?

With world cup just around the corner lets see which captain might have the most prized trophy in cricketing circuit. i think ponting is the best captain followed closely by fleming because you could always argue he leads a less talented side but still his results are not to bad. The worst would have to be grame smith because he talks a lot but doesn't back it up with performances or consistent results.

Michael Vaughan is excellent - look at the difference he made in England's match against NZ in Hobart.

But does vaughan has the performance to even hold a spot in the odi side or his captainsy is the only criteria for his selection.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    With world cup just around the corner lets see which captain might have the most prized trophy in cricketing circuit. i think ponting is the best captain followed closely by fleming because you could always argue he leads a less talented side but still his results are not to bad. The worst would have to be grame smith because he talks a lot but doesn't back it up with performances or consistent results.
    Ponting's not a great captain. A monkey could captain Australia to victory but I suppose he does look like a shaved chimp

Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    But does vaughan has the performance to even hold a spot in the odi side or his captainsy is the only criteria for his selection.
    Is that really relevant though? I thought this thread was about who the best captain was, not who the best cricketer was out of all the captains...

Anyway, I rate both Vaughan and Fleming very highly as captains - either one of them would do me as "best captain."

I think Ponting and Inzamam would be amongst the worst.
    ~ Cribbage

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    There's no way Ponting is anywhere near the worst, particularly not in ODIs.

Anyway, I'm not sure you can distinguish that clearly between test and ODI captaincy, but I'd rank Vaughan, Fleming and Ponting as the best captains in world cricket ATM, in that order. Inzamam and Lara the worst.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Lara the worst? Did you watch any West Indies cricket at all last year? Not only did the West Indies have a winning ODI record for the first time in however long, but Lara led the side superbly for the most part. He managed his bowlers especially well. Baffling comment, that.

Flintoff is probably the worst ODI captain at the moment.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    Ponting's not a great captain. A monkey could captain Australia to victory but I suppose he does look like a shaved chimp
    ****s me how people say that. Look how we lost the ashes in 05... Pontings captaincy took a fair brunt of the blame. Now that he's won them back though "any moneky could captain australia".

Fleming, Vaughan & Ponting imo are the 3 best captains, Fleming & Vaughan have it over him tactics wise, but that gap is slowly narrowing. When it comes to be leading by exmaple though, Ponting has it all over them.

For those who think that Pontings captaincy is quite horrible etc. take note of the match he missed in the DLF cup where Hussey was captain. There was a quite noticable difference in field placements & bowling changes/tactics, none of them were for the better though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    Fleming, Vaughan & Ponting imo are the 3 best captains, Fleming & Vaughan have it over him tactics wise, but that gap is slowly narrowing. When it comes to be leading by exmaple though, Ponting has it all over them.
    TBF, that's not a great argument for Ponting. It's not the strongest I've heard. Consider that Lara has it over Vaughan and Fleming when it comes to leading by example too. But he's not as good a captain, all things considered. That said, I rate Ponting's captain of late. About 8 months ago, I wouldn't have said the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    For those who think that Pontings captaincy is quite horrible etc. take note of the match he missed in the DLF cup where Hussey was captain. There was a quite noticable difference in field placements & bowling changes/tactics, none of them were for the better though.
    I also don't quite see the relevance of this. All that proves is that Ponting and Hussey have different and/or distinctive styles of captaincy. It says nothing about quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Flintoff is probably the worst ODI captain at the moment.
    Agree, but why?
    He does not have the team, the results, the experience, but c'mon its freddie flintoff!

Quote Originally Posted by Speersy View Post
    Agree, but why?
    He does not have the team, the results, the experience, but c'mon its freddie flintoff!
    It's blatantly obvious watching his man management, field placings and general inability to inspire the team. Flintoff was far more inspirational as the team's talisman, rather than the captain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    I also don't quite see the relevance of this. All that proves is that Ponting and Hussey have different and/or distinctive styles of captaincy. It says nothing about quality.
    The styles may be different, just as Pontings style is different to say Vaughans, however, Hussey's style was largely ineffective, something which Pontings is not in ODI's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    TBF, that's not a great argument for Ponting. It's not the strongest I've heard. Consider that Lara has it over Vaughan and Fleming when it comes to leading by example too. But he's not as good a captain, all things considered. That said, I rate Ponting's captain of late. About 8 months ago, I wouldn't have said the same.
    Worded it wrong i'll admit. I do belive that Fleming & Vaughan are superior captains, but imo the gap is closing, due to Pontings improvement, and because of his ability to inspire/lead by example
    Last edited by Johnners; 26-01-2007 at 06:12 AM.

How many captains could lead by example the way ricky does i mean even steve waugh doesn't match up to him on that front,as for vaughan i think a captain should always lead from the front which i haven't seen him do,when england did well it was due to KP,tresco,fred,giles,collingwood,harmison doing great at odi level vaughan has a good cricket brain but that doesn't make him a good enough player to stay in the team.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I just don't know where one sentence finishes and the next starts

Anyway, IMO, Vaughan isn't as good an ODI skipper as he is Test, just as he isn't anywhere near as good an ODI player as he is Test. Nonetheless, he's clearly better than any other options we have atm. We looked half-decent with Vaughan in charge at the start of this series, and when you consider how dire we have looked at times in the last 15 months in ODIs, that is an achievement.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information