• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What should be the England side in 2003 season, and England A ( if there was one)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Rik
Originally posted by marc71178
Except he doesn't really have talent.
If you score the ammount of runs he has this season then you've got to have quite a bit of talent. Just because Fulton didn't score as much this year doesn't mean he's a rubbish player, he still exceeded 1000 runs by quite a margin.
Scoring runs in County Cricket is completely different to scoring runs in International Cricket. Just look at Hick and Ramprakash.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be fair Neil, I probably would put Hoggard above Caddick as well - he's got a gritty determination about him with the bat.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Neil Pickup
Ramprakash, Ward and Crawley wouldn't gain anything from playing in the A Team. Players like Bilal Shafayat ought to have a chance.

And Hoggard and Jones batting above Caddick? What on earth are you basing that upon?!
I dunno...Caddick's the more talented Batsman so he should bat above Hoggard, theres no point in hanging around for ages if your gonna hang around with the rest of the tail...anyway on Shafayat, he's improved this season but he needs to show a bit more in my experiance...and don't forget Nadeem Malik from Notts, he's out performed the highly rated Richard Logan. But why do Notts keep trying Steve Randall? He has played 10 matches and has 8 wickets at 118.87! He didn't get his 1st wicket till his 3rd or 4th game too...hmmmm...also his lowest FC average for a season is 49 2 years ago, and he didn't take a wicket last season and conceeded 140 runs in 2 matches. You tell me!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If you look at England's batting recently, there is usually a top order player in with the tail, in which case you want the dogged player in there to keep him company ahead of the slasher.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I think that it's a bit harsh to class Caddick as a slasher - the slasher in that England tail is Simon hit-and-hope Jones. Caddick has enough grit to bat 9 and also the talent to make FC 50s. Which Hoggard hasn't yet. It's not long since Caddick top-scored for England is it...

craig182

Cricket Spectator
Simon Jones may swing for the ball a bit but he is a powerfull young man and can get you runs down the order without scratching around trying to block!!!, in last handfull of matches ive seen Caddick play ( including the Indian series ) he is scratching around like a mouse!! no 11 for me the way hes been performing, and Hoggard deserves promotion for his hard work hes been putting in and the Sky sports team who are on in the ashes seem to agree.

On the point of the A TEAM. My team is based not entirely on youth and not entirely on Abillity - ive just gone for the best team with a mixture of both - if i had a team full of Youth it would be

England A ( Young team )

Robert Key
Kadeer Ali ( still only under 19 though )
Owais Shah
Ian Bell
James Troughton
Billal Shafayat
Mark Wallace
Monty Panasear ( young talented spinner )
Alex Tudor
James Anderson
Tremlett ( still very young but expierience is the key )

That side could have some other youngsters in it but theres only eleven places :)
i could also put Ed Joyce who may even get in the team if i had a think about it.! Kyle Hogg, James Tredwell, Phill Mustartd Nicky Peng, Tim Ambrose etc..... but thats the team ive gone with.

[Edited on 16/11/2002 by craig182]

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Neil Pickup
I think that it's a bit harsh to class Caddick as a slasher - the slasher in that England tail is Simon hit-and-hope Jones. Caddick has enough grit to bat 9 and also the talent to make FC 50s. Which Hoggard hasn't yet. It's not long since Caddick top-scored for England is it...
Jones looked pretty in control of his shots when I watched him bat in the Summer, I think he just gets a bit swingy happy but he averaged 16+ with the bat last season so it shows a definate improvement with the bat. He's a dangerous player and can score 50s in quick time. This when added to he great attitude is as much to do with his improvement as a player as it is to how vital he could become to England. Its strange, England are now missing him even though it was only his 2nd ever test, Nasser Hussain was even saying he was thinking about Jones for the ODI squad as he looked very in control. Its interisting that out of the 2 quicks, Jones made his impression yet Harmison has only had one good performance and too many average ones. Its as much to do with attitude as it is to do with ability, and I feel Harmison is more talented than Jones, its just Jones' whole attitude which has pushed him ahead of Harmison.

Sorry if that was a bit long :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Originally posted by Rik
Except he doesn't really have talent.
If you score the ammount of runs he has this season then you've got to have quite a bit of talent. Just because Fulton didn't score as much this year doesn't mean he's a rubbish player, he still exceeded 1000 runs by quite a margin.
Scoring runs in County Cricket is completely different to scoring runs in International Cricket. Just look at Hick and Ramprakash.
I'm telling you that Ward is VERY talented. I'm not looking at stats, I've seen him play some fine innings. His problem in the Ashes last year was his grip but he appears to have sorted that out.

I can't garantee his performance at international level but I can say that he has the tools.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm telling you that Ward is VERY talented. I'm not looking at stats, I've seen him play some fine innings. His problem in the Ashes last year was his grip but he appears to have sorted that out.
Hick and Ramprakash are both VERY talented, as is Crawley - but they've not translated far better CC form than Ward to Test level, and there's the point that Ward is an opener, and we have 2 good openers already thank you very much, no need for him.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by chris.hinton
Monty Panesar who is he?
Young SLA bowler from Northants who models himself on Bedi. Mark Davies was released from his contract after he got the "yips" and went to Essex and Panesar took his place. Took 4-11 in a really tight spell last year but also went for a few. If Swann and Brown still can't get themselves sorted next season then he should take over the spinning duties.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks a good prospect, but 2003 will be 2nd season blues I fear.
Not everyone has 2nd season blues...Michael Davies took about 3-4 years before he got the yips...