• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket DVDs

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well... and it was also never administered on pitches anything like as deadly as Adelaide '32\33. Nor did it benefit from a complete lack of ruling on Leg-Side fielders.
Well Adelaide had over 1100 runs scored on it, so it obviously wasn't that much of a mine-field &, whilst the leg side fielders made it hard for an batsman to score, their presence is really neither here nor there in the safety stakes.

&, As I've no doubt you're aware, leg theory wasn't being bowled when Oldfield & Woodfull were hit either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But the fact that it was bowled immidiately after Woodfull was hit (for the first and most damaging time) was what angered the crowd and anyone with any sense of decency. Woodfull, of course, was then hit again and again.

England might've scored some runs on it, but they also inflicted one hell of a lot of injuries and I can only dread to think what might have happened if you got Roberts, Holding, Garner, Croft or Marshall, Holding, Garner, Walsh on such a surface.

Last edited:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I've got the Ashes 2005 DVD and one called The History of Cricket, which is fairly average except for a bit highlighting Jack Russell standing up to the quick bowlers. I really want the India v Australia 2001 DVD as well, might look into getting that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've got one called The History of Cricket, which is fairly average except for a bit highlighting Jack Russell standing up to the quick bowlers.
You really think so? I find it an excellent piece that gives plenty of footage I've never encountered anywhere else.

Assuming we're talking about the same one, that is. Does yours, for instance, start with a few bits of footage of WG Grace?

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
You really think so? I find it an excellent piece that gives plenty of footage I've never encountered anywhere else.

Assuming we're talking about the same one, that is. Does yours, for instance, start with a few bits of footage of WG Grace?
My fault, got the title wrong. It's called 'Century of Cricket', presented by David Gower. There are some other good bits (Ashes tours to Australia, the Bodyline coverage), but IIRC it becomes a bit 'this year x happened, the year after y happened.' I haven't watched it for about two years though, so I might like it a bit more now.

Toecrusher

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I've got the India vs Australia 2001 series, "Speed Demons" which is a DVD looking at the fastest bowlers in the history of the game right from Thommo to Akhtar with heaps of awesome footage. Also, I've got this 3 hour DVD titled "Sachin the Legend: his story" which was shown on ESPN in tribute to him breaking Gavaskar's century record. It looks through his entire career series-by-series with all the footage of the great innings', along with interviews and opinions on Sachin of pretty much every leading cricketer past and present. One of the really cool bits at the end is when they ask these cricketers what shot they will remember Sachin by, and they are all divided by the straight drive, backfoot cover drive and flick to square leg - all the while showin sachin playin these shots - AWESOME! As a hardcore Sachin fan, its easily the best cricket doco/show I've seen,

Craig

World Traveller
Looking in Cricshop and you can't miss almost every match between Pakistan and India since 2004.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
I got too many cricket DVDs....

But I have alot of English ones. Cape Crusaders, the one about the Windies tour in 2004 and Six of The Best 70's 80's and 90's.....

As well as Battle for the Tasman, 25 years of ODI Cricket in Australia, Steve Waugh, Dean Jones, Shane Warne...

And the 2005 Ashes. And I just got the 1992/93 ODI and Test series as well.

readie

State Regular
Benaud To Border
Bodyline
Fight For The Ashes (2005 Series)
The New Guard ( Ponting and Gilly)
Steve Waugh
Shane Warne

Various Recorded Matches

Fiery

Banned
The interesting thing was Hussain said he was never worried so long as they were playing big shots.

And let's face it - had they won the thing, no-one in England could have been blamed. I've said it several times, but I've never, ever seen the ball hit like Astle did that day. Never seen anyone come close, in fact.

Man, what I'd give for that innings on DVD... that match, in fact (highlights, obviously).
Richard. I have the Nathan Astle DVD if you want to borrow it for a while. I don't want to burn it because I'm strongly against piracy (I used to own a video store). I can send it to you if you want but would want it back obviously.

luffy

International Captain
Richard. I have the Nathan Astle DVD if you want to borrow it for a while. I don't want to burn it because I'm strongly against piracy (I used to own a video store). I can send it to you if you want but would want it back obviously.
He will proberley burn it....

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Also, I've got this 3 hour DVD titled "Sachin the Legend: his story" which was shown on ESPN in tribute to him breaking Gavaskar's century record. It looks through his entire career series-by-series with all the footage of the great innings', along with interviews and opinions on Sachin of pretty much every leading cricketer past and present. One of the really cool bits at the end is when they ask these cricketers what shot they will remember Sachin by, and they are all divided by the straight drive, backfoot cover drive and flick to square leg - all the while showin sachin playin these shots - AWESOME! As a hardcore Sachin fan, its easily the best cricket doco/show I've seen,
Sounds excellent mate. I will try to get the DVD.. :)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The interesting thing was Hussain said he was never worried so long as they were playing big shots.

And let's face it - had they won the thing, no-one in England could have been blamed. I've said it several times, but I've never, ever seen the ball hit like Astle did that day. Never seen anyone come close, in fact.

Man, what I'd give for that innings on DVD... that match, in fact (highlights, obviously).
Youtube- has all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My fault, got the title wrong. It's called 'Century of Cricket', presented by David Gower. There are some other good bits (Ashes tours to Australia, the Bodyline coverage), but IIRC it becomes a bit 'this year x happened, the year after y happened.' I haven't watched it for about two years though, so I might like it a bit more now.
I've liked it pretty much since I got it (6 years ago or so).

It provides much footage I'd not otherwise have seen - which is why I like it. I knew about much of the stuff beforehand, of course, but it was good just to see it which, as I say, I'd mostly not done before.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"Speed Demons" which is a DVD looking at the fastest bowlers in the history of the game right from Thommo to Akhtar with heaps of awesome footage.
Heaps of awesome footage maybe, but if it only starts in 1974\75 it's hardly looking at the whole history of the game, is it?!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Am I paying the postage costs or you? :lol:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rip-off wasn't a thought that immidiately came to mind, but joke, I admit, was.

You'd be willing to go to the trouble of sending a DVD to the other side of The World, just for someone who, by definition, you don't particularly like that much?