Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Cricket DVDs

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    This looks quite good - I'd particularly like to see the 1973 & 1976 tests in England, plus the whole of the 1970's compilation.

http://www.west-indies-cricket-souve...cket-dvds.html
    Ditto, and also the 1991 Aus, 1992 SA and 1992\93 Aus series, none of which I've ever seen more than a delivery or two from.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I know, I've read your comments on him before. That's why I mentioned him ITFP.

Just fishing, eh?

Either WCM or TWC printed exerts from "Bodyline Autopsy" when it came out. My impression was that he was keen to defend Bodyline as far as possible, which was somewhat at odds with his treatment of nearly all other fast bowlers. I'll have to dig it out at some point.

Nah, nah, not dangling the bait at all - I quite agree with you that he takes a somewhat ridiculous line on the West Indian seamers.

That was the context I was attempting to mention in.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    but I really want the DVD of the Johannesburg Miracle last year, if there is one.
    Biggest selling DVD in SA IIRC
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

still scratching around in the same old hole
    It's amazing how many different accounts you hear of the Old Trafford Roberts-Holding bombardment. It was a disgraceful piece of unsportsmanlike behaviour; it typified West Indies' win-at-all-costs mentality which was to serve them so well and was commendible; it was a brilliant piece of defiance from two old men who loved a scrap (they did, after all, survive the bombardment that evening); etc. etc.

Wasn't Close simply chesting them down, centre-back style, at one point?
    Agreed. However, if you want to make additional comments on this, C_C had a thread on this topic a short while ago where he repeatedly went on about how Close was humiliated and was an embarrasment. He refused to acknowledge any resolve or bravery from Close

Im sure you would have made similar responses to the ones I did.
    Last edited by Goughy; 25-01-2007 at 08:31 AM.

Have had a skirt around and can't find anything along those lines... but you might not have seen C_C's comment (think it was before your time) that the only English cricketers of the past 35 years or so that "stack-up" are Boycott, Gooch, Knott, Stewart and Underwood.

EDIT: found it
    Last edited by Richard; 25-01-2007 at 09:38 AM.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Biggest selling DVD in SA IIRC
    Ta mate, will have a look for it.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    What Cricket DVDs do y'all own?

Er, I reckon that's it. Loadsa stuff I need to get, including my desperate desire for India V Australia 01. So, what are the best DVDs out there, not just as an England fan, but as a Cricket fan, and do you lot bother with them much?
    I have the India-Australia late 90s series and the 2001 series; India in Australia Adelaide test and Ashes 2005. I am nto a huge fan of cricket DVDs because we always get cricket highlights on television from one match or the other from the past and essentially match DVDs contain most of that more often than not.

I don't mind buying historical DVDs and stuff where greats give opinions while it contains great rare footages from matches as well or well made DVDs of tests matches/series. I recommend ESPN's legends of cricket DVD. I have seen a few shows via youtube of some of the legends and they are well pieced up. I think Jono has that one (Jono also has a good assortment of DVDs and he will be able to give some good recommendations I reckon). The India-Pakistan 98 series was excellent and Jono linked to a site where it can be bought and I recommend you to buy that if you can as well.

I do think that there has been a lack of quality DVDs where cricket is concerned over all and there is great room for exploitation in this field. Hopefully we will see a bit of improvement in some years.

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Just fishing, eh?

Either WCM or TWC printed exerts from "Bodyline Autopsy" when it came out. My impression was that he was keen to defend Bodyline as far as possible, which was somewhat at odds with his treatment of nearly all other fast bowlers. I'll have to dig it out at some point.
    I'll declare a bias & say I do like Frith, but he is unquestionably a bit sniffy about the Windies quicks. It's a while since I've read Bodyline Autopsy, but (IIRC) he wasn't really defending it as such, rather pointing out the contrast between how posterity has judged Jardine & Lloyd. Leg theory was deplored relatively sparingly really, given that Allen flat-out refused to bowl it & Verity and Hammond both bowled a fair anount in 32/33 as well. The Windies' barrage was fairly relentless.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Like queuing at the post office, or a cardboard cup of weak milky tea there is a quality of slightly clichéd but still beautifully reassuring Englishness about watching Cook bat"
    - Barney Ronay

Well... and it was also never administered on pitches anything like as deadly as Adelaide '32\33. Nor did it benefit from a complete lack of ruling on Leg-Side fielders.

Well... and it was also never administered on pitches anything like as deadly as Adelaide '32\33. Nor did it benefit from a complete lack of ruling on Leg-Side fielders.
    Well Adelaide had over 1100 runs scored on it, so it obviously wasn't that much of a mine-field &, whilst the leg side fielders made it hard for an batsman to score, their presence is really neither here nor there in the safety stakes.

&, As I've no doubt you're aware, leg theory wasn't being bowled when Oldfield & Woodfull were hit either.

But the fact that it was bowled immidiately after Woodfull was hit (for the first and most damaging time) was what angered the crowd and anyone with any sense of decency. Woodfull, of course, was then hit again and again.

England might've scored some runs on it, but they also inflicted one hell of a lot of injuries and I can only dread to think what might have happened if you got Roberts, Holding, Garner, Croft or Marshall, Holding, Garner, Walsh on such a surface.
    Last edited by Richard; 25-01-2007 at 01:01 PM.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    I've got the Ashes 2005 DVD and one called The History of Cricket, which is fairly average except for a bit highlighting Jack Russell standing up to the quick bowlers. I really want the India v Australia 2001 DVD as well, might look into getting that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo View Post
    I've got one called The History of Cricket, which is fairly average except for a bit highlighting Jack Russell standing up to the quick bowlers.
    You really think so? I find it an excellent piece that gives plenty of footage I've never encountered anywhere else.

Assuming we're talking about the same one, that is. Does yours, for instance, start with a few bits of footage of WG Grace?

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    You really think so? I find it an excellent piece that gives plenty of footage I've never encountered anywhere else.

Assuming we're talking about the same one, that is. Does yours, for instance, start with a few bits of footage of WG Grace?
    My fault, got the title wrong. It's called 'Century of Cricket', presented by David Gower. There are some other good bits (Ashes tours to Australia, the Bodyline coverage), but IIRC it becomes a bit 'this year x happened, the year after y happened.' I haven't watched it for about two years though, so I might like it a bit more now.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information