Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 126
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Cricket DVDs

  1. #16
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    It must exist. 1980 would be fascinating to see *that* attack, which was superior to the 1984 lineup.
    It does truly amaze me that the 1984 line-up is often considered above the 1980 and 1983\84 one... Baptiste and Harper were hardly top-tree bowlers.

    Yet in 1980 we had Roberts, Holding, Garner, Croft (Marshall IIRR wasn't yet even a first-choice and only played when injuries happened) and in 1983\84 we had (briefly) a first-choice of Roberts, Holding, Garner, Marshall.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  2. #17
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    SWA
    Posts
    57,460
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Is there really a DVD of the 1984 Blackwash?

    If so, that'd be a fascinating one. Though 1980 and 1981 would be even better.
    I think he means the film, Bodyline. He made a thread about it recently.

    Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can


    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  3. #18
    International Coach wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Wasn't the 260 in 1976? At The Oval, in Holding's Test?

    That's a series I've got a good deal of stuff from - it's, of course, one of the most famous of all, because it's when West Indies' victory machine came to The World's notice (and certainly to this country's).

    Anything in England has been kept from ages ago, I think... but in WI television coverage is a pretty recent thing and I'm sure there was virtually nothing of the 1974 or 1981 series' (seen the Holding over to Boycott, but nothing else - even the Kallicherran-Greig instance).

    Which gives me an idea for a thread...
    Amiss made a double hundred in 1973/4 too, to save the second test. You'll have to forgive me if it wasn't 260 though. Possibly 262?

    1976 must make great viewing, especially those wonderful innings by Viv & Greenidge. And the crowds were great too, although possibly better to watch on TV than sat next to them. Dunno that I'd want to watch Edrich & Close cop it at OT though.

  4. #19
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    262* and 203, it was.

    EDIT: ain't it astonishing in hindsight that, at pace-friendly Sabina Park, that great wristspinner of renown Arthur Barrett was picked ahead of Andy Roberts.

    It's amazing how many different accounts you hear of the Old Trafford Roberts-Holding bombardment. It was a disgraceful piece of unsportsmanlike behaviour; it typified West Indies' win-at-all-costs mentality which was to serve them so well and was commendible; it was a brilliant piece of defiance from two old men who loved a scrap (they did, after all, survive the bombardment that evening); etc. etc.

    Wasn't Close simply chesting them down, centre-back style, at one point?
    Last edited by Richard; 25-01-2007 at 08:19 AM.


  5. #20
    International Coach wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    262* and 203, it was.

    It's amazing how many different accounts you hear of the Old Trafford Roberts-Holding bombardment. It was a disgraceful piece of unsportsmanlike behaviour; it typified West Indies' win-at-all-costs mentality which was to serve them so well and was commendible; it was a brilliant piece of defiance from two old men who loved a scrap (they did, after all, survive the bombardment that evening); etc. etc.

    Wasn't Close simply chesting them down, centre-back style, at one point?
    I don't know: wouldn't put it past the old nutter.

    I don't know that it was unsportsmanlike as such - they did rather better when they pitched it up next day - but it wasn't impressive to see the primary objective being to knock their unprotected heads off. Of course, any Indians watching would only have been surprised that they didn't send down a few beamers too, of reports of their series in WI are to be believed. I do think the ages of the batsmen were irrelevant though.

  6. #21
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    The first warning-shots were, of course, fired at Sabina when Roberts, Holding and Daniel came together for the first time, when Bedi declared at 5-down or whatever it was.

    I certainly agree that the age of the batsmen shouldn't make any difference (and as I say - in the end they survived the onslaught anyway), but the David Frith types of this World (and, to be fair, one or two others) clearly thought it should. It seems to me that it did add to the outrage, reading reports written that night and one or two comments from the Lakers and Benauds.

    It's no coincidence that both were bowled by straight balls the next day. Even Lloyd, of course, subsequently admitted that they got carried-away, which he notably did not on the other occasion where they were heavily criticised (ie in New Zealand in 1979\80).

  7. #22
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Is there really a DVD of the 1984 Blackwash?

    If so, that'd be a fascinating one. Though 1980 and 1981 would be even better.
    Not sure if you're joking, but I think he's referring to the 1984 TV miniseries called Bodyline, starring Gary Sweet and Hugo Weaving.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

  8. #23
    International Coach wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The first warning-shots were, of course, fired at Sabina when Roberts, Holding and Daniel came together for the first time, when Bedi declared at 5-down or whatever it was.

    I certainly agree that the age of the batsmen shouldn't make any difference (and as I say - in the end they survived the onslaught anyway), but the David Frith types of this World (and, to be fair, one or two others) clearly thought it should. It seems to me that it did add to the outrage, reading reports written that night and one or two comments from the Lakers and Benauds.

    It's no coincidence that both were bowled by straight balls the next day. Even Lloyd, of course, subsequently admitted that they got carried-away, which he notably did not on the other occasion where they were heavily criticised (ie in New Zealand in 1979\80).
    Lloyd's standing does surprise me at times. In Jamaica, he was under a lot of pressure after India had made 400+ to level the series, which in turn followed the 5-1 drubbing in Aus. If reports that I've read are accurate, then it was a case of if the short stuff didn't get you, then the beamer would in that particular game. The umpires, natch, did nothing, and his side were up & running. Of course, he was rather less happy about hometown umpiring in 1979/80, when the conduct of his side really should have been a sacking offence.

    All that being said, Frith isn't someone I greatly admire. IIRC the short stuff is OK when it's being administered by Larwood & Voce but not by anyone else.

  9. #24
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    Not sure if you're joking, but I think he's referring to the 1984 TV miniseries called Bodyline, starring Gary Sweet and Hugo Weaving.
    Oh, right, no, never heard of it.

    Presumed he was referring to 1984 as being a latter-day Bodyline, given that West Indies possessed Marshall, Holding and Garner (plus Baptiste and Harper).

    Evidently I was mistaken.
    Last edited by Richard; 25-01-2007 at 08:50 AM.

  10. #25
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Lloyd's standing does surprise me at times. In Jamaica, he was under a lot of pressure after India had made 400+ to level the series, which in turn followed the 5-1 drubbing in Aus. If reports that I've read are accurate, then it was a case of if the short stuff didn't get you, then the beamer would in that particular game. The umpires, natch, did nothing, and his side were up & running. Of course, he was rather less happy about hometown umpiring in 1979/80, when the conduct of his side really should have been a sacking offence.
    Similar things I have thought myself occasionally...
    All that being said, Frith isn't someone I greatly admire. IIRC the short stuff is OK when it's being administered by Larwood & Voce but not by anyone else.
    Has he really not condemned Bodyline?

  11. #26
    International Coach wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Similar things I have thought myself occasionally...

    Has he really not condemned Bodyline?

    Not nearly as strongly as you might expect, given his views of other intimidatory bowling. Not in the bits I''ve read anyway. If I'm wrong, then my apologies to the old boy.

    I'm a bit jaundiced to him beacuse of his ludicrous comments about WI bowlers from the 70's to 90's. Even allowing for the times when they were OTT, they were clearly brilliant practitioners, but Frith just wouldn't have it. Something along the lines of "Marshall was great, Garner & Ambrose were lucky to be born with long limbs, and that's all." he really should know better.

  12. #27
    State Vice-Captain Poker Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kilbirnie, Scotland
    Posts
    1,105
    Apart from the usual ones (The 2003/4 WI one, Cape crusaders, The two 2005 ones) I've got Richie benaud's Greatest XI and one where MA Atherton picked an entertainers XI (Tendulkar, Lara, V Richards, Botham, Flintoff, Gilchrist, R Hadlee, Warne, Murali, Donald and Shoaib) and a Phil Tuffnell cock-ups DVD (All your favourite cock-ups including one where an english left-arm spinner -can't remember his name) was standing over the stumps and all he had to do to run out I think it was S Waugh was catch a vaey gentle throw. He droped it, he ran back and shied at the stumps and missed (if he had hit he would still have run him out yhe had so far to get back. The crowd cheered so loud you couldn't hear A Greig's commentary (now THAT is an achievement.)
    I'm surprised no-one thinks of putting footage of old England series on DVD because the footage is avaliable - ESPN Classic in the UK have been showing old Test series for a while (including the "Grovel" series, the "Blackwash" series and the '81 Ashes) sadly they don't show all the days of the '76 series. For the OT Test they don't show the first day but it was probably the more amazing of the days. Poor Mike Selvey it was his finest hour - it was mainly due to him that Windies were reduced to not-very-many-for four and they don't show it. or what must be one of the best innings I've never seen - in a match where the first innings scores were 211 and 71 Gordon Grennidge scored 134 - without that the Windies would have been nearly as bad as England.
    Two other points about this significant match - which could have been the point the Windies dominance started (after all they had been thrashed in Australia in the previous winter and the first two Tests of '76 had been drawn -and inbetween times India had scored over 400 in a 4th innings to beat them). Yes Close did chest those bouncers (as he did against Hall and Griffth famously at Lord's in '63) and just to prove crap tails are not a recent occurance for England our last four at OT in '76 were Underwood (at no 8!), Pocock, Selvey and Hendrick - against Roberts and co.! How stupid! I certinly think a DVD of that series would be a good idea.
    PS - yes I agree the 1980/81 Windies attack was far better than the '84 one. Malcolm Marshall must be the best 5th choice fast bowler in history!
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

  13. #28
    U19 Debutant _TiGeR-ToWn_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pub
    Posts
    394
    My brother and I bought the Old Man for christmas the ABC dvd Australian Cricket Collection, Cricket in the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s & 1980s. It is one of the most facinating set of shows that I have ever seen. Probably the best DVD is the 1970s one when World Series cricket took offer, the Packer revolution and Australia fielding a virtule 2nd XI.
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying." MJ

  14. #29
    International Coach wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,033
    This looks quite good - I'd particularly like to see the 1973 & 1976 tests in England, plus the whole of the 1970's compilation.

    http://www.west-indies-cricket-souve...cket-dvds.html

  15. #30
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Not nearly as strongly as you might expect, given his views of other intimidatory bowling. Not in the bits I''ve read anyway. If I'm wrong, then my apologies to the old boy.

    I'm a bit jaundiced to him beacuse of his ludicrous comments about WI bowlers from the 70's to 90's. Even allowing for the times when they were OTT, they were clearly brilliant practitioners, but Frith just wouldn't have it. Something along the lines of "Marshall was great, Garner & Ambrose were lucky to be born with long limbs, and that's all." he really should know better.
    I know, I've read your comments on him before. That's why I mentioned him ITFP.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. CW Players A-Z
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Development League
    Replies: 316
    Last Post: 10-05-2007, 12:35 AM
  2. Retirement of McGrath/Warne: Good for cricket?
    By silentstriker in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 21-12-2006, 06:24 AM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-10-2005, 05:44 PM
  4. Replies: 1876
    Last Post: 23-09-2005, 05:21 PM
  5. The Twenty20 Cup in England
    By PY in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 22-07-2003, 04:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •