• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Zimbabwe in Bangladesh

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
De Grandhomme hit a century for Auckland 'A' not so long ago. I have heard he is aiming for citizenship here, I think he has at least another 2 years to go but he is young so it's no big problem.

I think Auckland may look to groom him into their first class side next season if he is 100% committed to playing for New Zealand.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
De Grandhomme hit a century for Auckland 'A' not so long ago. I have heard he is aiming for citizenship here, I think he has at least another 2 years to go but he is young so it's no big problem.

I think Auckland may look to groom him into their first class side next season if he is 100% committed to playing for New Zealand.
His bowling would be useful in New Zealand conditions as well. Huge gain for NZ cricket in general if he commits.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah he took a 5 for before christmas for his club side Howick/Pakuranga. I'm absolutely certain Auckland cricket will be keeping an eye on him.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Bangladesh squad for 1st ODI
Habibul Bashar (c), Shahriar Nafees, Mehrab Hossain jnr, Aftab Ahmed, Saqibul Hasan, Mohammad Ashraful, Mushfiqur Rahim (wk), Mashrafe Mortaza, Mohammad Rafique, Abdur Razzak, Shahadat Hossain, Mohammad Sharif.

Looks like Sharif will miss out there as I can't see them dropping either Rafique or Razzak and there isn't enough batting to play all five.

Craig

World Traveller
As a Zimbabwean fan, I'm delighted to not see Rajin Saleh selected. I rate him big time (as far as Desh/Zim players go..). I think he should be in the side opening the batting if not batting 4.

As for Tushar's selection though, I'd say he's been given a go because he tends to dominate mediocre attacks - ones far better than what Zim will dish up. His struggles have only really been at the highest level, so he'll probably do well against Zimbabwe. Giving him this series might also give the selectors an idea as to whether his problems in ODIs have been due to the pressure of the situation, or whether he has problems with his technique against good bowling. The pressure and occassion of these matches against Zim will just about match the pressure of any other ODI, but the bowling will be much weaker.
Out of interest, what are your links to Zimbabwe, or you just choose to support them?

Craig

World Traveller
I'd prefer not to reveal my links as they are a bit strange. :p
Not sure they are completely save to reveal on a public forum.
Why not? Forum member aussie supports Australia in cricket despite being about as Australian as Sachin Tendulkar is Pakistani.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Latest news is that Bangladesh are 0/30 from 9 overs.

Martin Williamson said:
The situation is this. To get someone into Zimbabwe to cover the four matches would have cost us thousands of dollars, which we were prepared to pay. However ... firstly we needed to get the approval of the infamous Information ministry whose aim seems to be to avoid giving anyone access to the country. Secondly, even then we had no assurances that our people would be allowed to remain in the ground. It wa snot feasible to send people under these circumstances.

I am in constant contact with various people inside Zimbabwe and it seems that local TV has not switched to the match. The situation again verges on the farcical. If you still think that is Cricinfo's fault, then so be it.
Source: Baanglacricket

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Slightly off topic from the current tour, but it was 12 years ago today (Feb 4) that Zimbabwe recorded their first ever Test victory.

Miraz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Here's my comment from my blog site

Bangladesh in Zimbabwe 2006-07 : Bangladesh canter to victory in the first ODI

Bangladesh proved to be too much for Zimbabwe in the first match of the Croco Motors ODI series. They registered an easy 45 run victory over hapless Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe won the toss and elected to field first. In wet and damp conditions, Bangladesh started slowly with Mehrab Jnr. struggling to find runs. Bangladesh innings got the desired momentum after Afatb Ahmed appeared in the crease. He scored a quick fire 31 and fell for another big heave.

Sakib Al Hasan continued his run feast at International cricket and scored valuable 68 runs to guide the innings. he along with captain Habibul Bashar steadied the innings. Bashar, is getting better in transforming his test form into ODI. He was impressive with bat and acored 78 runs off 87 balls. Bangladesh suffered a late collapse and finished 260/9 from 248/5 in 47 overs.

In reply, Zimbabwe lost wickets at regular intervals except Chamu Chibabha who occupied one end. He took 117 balls to make 53. Some late blow by Elton Chigumbura only lowered the margin of defeat. Paceman Mashrafee Mortaza took 4 wickets for 31 runs while the slow left army of Bangladesh did the rest to restrict Zimbabwe to 215. Sakib Al Hasan showed impressive all-round performance. After scoring 61, he took 1 wicket for 40 runs.

For most part of the day, the controversial Zimbabwe cricket board dominated the proceedings. Due to their dim-witted regulations, journalists from Cricinfo and other sport sites failed to cover the series. It was a pain stacking experience to get the latest information from the web. The match was scheduled to be telecasted by local television which failed to do that. ICC should intervene to avoid such pain for the cricket fans around the world. The good news is, BTV, the state run television of Bangladesh has decided to televise the remaining 3 ODI's.

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Bangladesh now have a decent first X1 sorted for the WC.It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they beat India or Sri Lanka.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
hmm i would be suprised but delighted at the same time because india is now back on track with all their hype and commotion over cricket they wont mess up. sri lanka just may be just may be the one that choke like they did against kenya but i would rather have bangladesh in englands group that we would be having a better chance to progress

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good win for Bangladesh, good scores from Habibul Bashar and Saqibul Hasan aswell as some good bowling from Mashrafe Mortaza.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Good win for Bangladesh, good scores from Habibul Bashar and Saqibul Hasan aswell as some good bowling from Mashrafe Mortaza.
Mortaza is really becoming a decent bowler and would a cause alot of problems for good batsmen IMO.I'd have him ahead of Plunkett,Mahmood and Tremlett becaues of his consistency over line and length.