• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When Arguments Erupt

Lach

School Boy/Girl Captain
How do you handle things when arguments about who's in or who's bowling or how many balls the bowler has left erupt during a nice day's play? Post here what you do to calm everyone down.

Yours in cricket

Lach.

Bravoman

Cricket Spectator
First rule: If it's a family thing, kids do not, under any circumstances, win.

Second rule: If you are batting, then it is your duty to the world to stay in. Kick, scream, punch; do anything, so long as you get to stay in. If the cricket set happens to be yours, threaten to be an utter mongrel and take the gear home.

Third rule: If you are not batting, then you must inform the world that the person batting nicked the ball/was out of his crease/had his legs in front of the wicket/hit the wickets with his bat/used continental drift to gain an unfair advantage.

Final rule: If it all comes down to it, take a vote. Anybody who thinks the batter is still in should be glared at until they change their mind.

[Edited on 10/21/01 by Lach]

kezzalee

Cricket Spectator
1. u threaten 2 take the set away if it's one of ur younger siblings, whether it's ur's or not! hehe :P

2. run away and refuse 2 return until u get ur own way (works especially well if u r playin' a 2 person game!)

§hortŸ

Cricket Spectator
u guys stuff up in the first place? slack
1/. ur batter, u keep it.
2/. wicket, what wicket?
3/. according to my bro, u cant be caught out between hits 50 an 500, thats when u r in ur groove.
4/. tipsy runs, only if the wicky heard it. if it goes back to the bowler then u hit it.
5/. violence is merely a distraction, so what if the wicky cant catch after u finish. thatsz the point. :D
6/. if they r gonna sook bout u staying in, MODIFYING the rules to ur advantage, y play?

Kimbo

International Debutant
I had a fantastic one day series last week with no arguments, it pays to write the score down, and if its going to be an issue mark down each ball as well (the batter does this since batting is the privelige) just like in a proper scorebook.
With regard to wickets- what can you do, play with people that don't cheat...
If there are more than 2 people we vote,
but sometimes it pays to find an old geeser to umpire, or oldest player rules ... ;)

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
start throwing the ball at the person and start having a wwf wrestlemania in ur backyard

yea thats what i do with my bro!! :D

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
First rule: If it's a family thing, kids do not, under any circumstances, win.

Second rule: If you are batting, then it is your duty to the world to stay in. Kick, scream, punch; do anything, so long as you get to stay in. If the cricket set happens to be yours, threaten to be an utter mongrel and take the gear home.

Third rule: If you are not batting, then you must inform the world that the person batting nicked the ball/was out of his crease/had his legs in front of the wicket/hit the wickets with his bat/used continental drift to gain an unfair advantage.

Final rule: If it all comes down to it, take a vote. Anybody who thinks the batter is still in should be glared at until they change their mind.

[Edited on 10/21/01 by Lach]
Bravoman....That's exactly the way we play but seeing as I'm the eldest, I generally make up the rules as I go along so they always suit me!! :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
If it's your game and you think that you are right - you are right! If you think that you may be wrong - 3 bat handles.

Odie

Cricket Spectator
When we played on the road, because it was generally impossible to mark a good crease, when you were running, you had to touch your bat either on the stumps (wheelie bin, fire hydrant cover), and when you finished running, you had to yell "safe", but only after your bat had touched the stumps or the ground next to it.

There were several arguments about this, generally because the batter was trying to skimp on the "safe" rule, or hadn't yelled "safe" or some variant.

We've had excuses from "look at how that bit of dust on the road has moved! My bat was right next to the stumps", to "But I thought safe!"

Often, this disagreement led to the end of our game. Especially when we were really young, and there were no rational adults or even teenagers, present.

Now, to solve disagreements, generally we all shouted and carried on, until the owner of the stumps and bats and ball threatened to take them home.
Otherwise, someones parent came out and told us to pull ourselves together.

As we got older, we disagreeed less, but solutions to problems like these were generally reached with the tossing of a coin. Heads you're in, tails you're out.
Case closed.

Swervy

International Captain
hahaha..this brings back memories..i remember once when a great huge arguement started about whether someone was out some lad suggested 'peg leg' (ie turn your bat over so the blade is the handle and the handle becomes the blade)...i think we all turned to him and 'steamed' him (ie beat him up)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Odie said:

As we got older, we disagreeed less, but solutions to problems like these were generally reached with the tossing of a coin. .

It helps if your in my situation, I like batting, and the guys i play with like bowling, so arguments get less and less...

We have also built ourself a batting cage at the bottom of a field... complete with concrete base...

+10 for Innovation and Dedication

+-0 for talent (building and design)

cbuts

International Debutant
clearly arguements are jsut settled by who gives in first. oftn our games will have a 5 hour gap while we stare each other out. although i think my amte has realised he cant win and its startin to become what i says goes :D