• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Inzamam-ul-Haq (As a captain)

Inzamam as a captain ?

• Laid back attitude,Mis-handeled the Legend (Shoaib),If gets victories then its just pure luck?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
He's been OK, not great. But what a batsman. Overtakes Miandad for mine, all his knocks just save the teams ass and he makes batting look so great.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's a pretty average captain and as archie said, he tends to let the game drift along.

FRAZ

International Captain
No; I would have liked 'tends to just let the game drift along'
An absolute intelligent judgment by Archie Mac . I think that apart from in-field clownalities, he also never handled the outta ground captaincy activities properly . He is slow in reacting and lacks the knowledge tbh !
I remember once when he took the poor light ,and there was a clear prediction of heavy showers the next day (against Newzealand ) . I agree that the Hair is , was and will be a problem but some of his (Inzamam) reactions did let so many people speak against Pakistan as a whole .
Imran was the man tbh . His personality and behavior is like a text book for all the captains of today and I am afraid that Pakistan could never get a proper literate captain after Aamir and Wasim Akram .
I believe that he is there because of pure luck and being the only senior guy in the team .

archie mac

International Coach
An absolute intelligent judgment by Archie Mac . I think that apart from in-field clownalities, he also never handled the outta ground captaincy activities properly . He is slow in reacting and lacks the knowledge tbh !
I remember once when he took the poor light ,and there was a clear prediction of heavy showers the next day (against Newzealand ) . I agree that the Hair is , was and will be a problem but some of his (Inzamam) reactions did let so many people speak against Pakistan as a whole .
Imran was the man tbh . His personality and behavior is like a text book for all the captains of today and I am afraid that Pakistan could never get a proper literate captain after Aamir and Wasim Akram .
I believe that he is there because of pure luck and being the only senior guy in the team .

It always amazes me just how often the Pakistan team changes its captain

I think in Aust we have had more PMs then Aussie Test captains

I can think of all the Test captains but I am coming up short on the PMs :wub:

Craig

World Traveller
Haha, I'm a bit like that myself, although I could probably do a better job of naming them all since Bradman played his last Test in 1948 without cheating.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bill Woodfull, Sir Donald, Lindsay Hassett, Ian Johnson, Richie Benaud, Bobby Simpson, Bill Lawry, Ian Chappell, Greg Chappell\Kim Hughes, (Simpson again and Graham Yallop during the Packer Schism, but I don't count that, even if John Invararity had been given the captaincy), Allan Border, Mark Taylor, Stephen Waugh, Ricky Ponting.

I might have missed someone, that's off-top-of-head.

As for England in the same time-period...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How he has been as a captain ?
It's hard to use a poll-option - what I'd say is that he's been excellent on the man-management side of things, everyone connected with the team seems to give the impression that the players are happy in the dressing-room and that internal-wrangling should be suspended for as long as he's at the helm (no reason to assume it won't resume once he quits, mind). Like Imran in that respect (and like virtually no other Pakistan captain of recent times). A real paturnal figure - and his strong religious beliefs undoubtedly help there, too.

But unlike Imran, he's no master tactician. Perhaps not quite as bad as he's sometimes painted, but no genius. I'm not prepared to offer an opinion of his intelligence based on his faltering English (which he only learned IIRR upon becoming captain), I've heard he speaks and writes fluently in Urdu. Many, many people sound simple when using a language which is not their first, and he's certainly not alone in that in Pakistan.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Bill Woodfull, Sir Donald, Lindsay Hassett, Ian Johnson, Richie Benaud, Bobby Simpson, Bill Lawry, Ian Chappell, Greg Chappell\Kim Hughes, (Simpson again and Graham Yallop during the Packer Schism, but I don't count that, even if John Invararity had been given the captaincy), Allan Border, Mark Taylor, Stephen Waugh, Ricky Ponting.
I might have missed someone, that's off-top-of-head.
Gilchrist, but only when Waugh & Ponting were injured.

As for England in the same time-period...
I'm guessing we could match that in the last 20 years. Let's try ..
Flintoff, Strauss, Vaughan, Trescothick, Hussain, Stewart, Atherton, Gooch, Lamb, Gower, Emburey, Cowdrey, Gatting. OK, not quite. Making it 30 years, add Willis, Fletcher, Botham & Brearley. There you go. And no cheating, honest.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I wasn't counting injury stand-ins. :p Then you'd have all sorts.
Flintoff, Strauss, Vaughan, Trescothick, Hussain, Stewart, Atherton, Gooch, Lamb, Gower, Emburey, Cowdrey, Gatting. OK, not quite. Making it 30 years, add Willis, Fletcher, Botham & Brearley. There you go. And no cheating, honest.
Quite a few of whom had 2 (maybe even 3...?) spells in charge.

As for the summer of 1988...

Beleg

International Regular
What happened in the summer of 1988?

Anyway, Pakistan, within the last twenty years.

Wasim, Waqar, Moin, Latif, Inzamam, Aamir Sohail, Javed, Imran, Salim Malik, Rameez Raja? Younis Khan, Mohammad Yousuf.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
India:

Rahul Dravid, Saurav Ganguly, Sachin Tendulkar, Mohammad Azharuddin, Vengsarkar

Add Shashtri, Srikkanth and Sehwag as more or less part timers (only one match, one series, and one match).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What happened in the summer of 1988?
In the second-most-farcical summer in the history of English cricket (beaten only by it's successor when in 6 Tests England used 29 players and were only saved from being beaten 0-6 by a bit of rain and bad light) England were captained by 4 different men - Mike Gatting before he was sacked in a wholly unsatisfactory manner, John Emburey for 1(?) Test, Chris Cowdrey who wasn't even anywhere near good enough to be playing (and whose godfather was the CoS), and Graham Gooch who wasn't given the captaincy long-term for another 18 months despite his proposed captaincy that winter causing the tour to be cancelled.

Oh, and England lost 4 Tests out of 5, too, only being saved by lost play (to rain IIRR) in the one draw.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
In the second-most-farcical summer in the history of English cricket (beaten only by it's successor when in 6 Tests England used 29 players and were only saved from being beaten 0-6 by a bit of rain and bad light) England were captained by 4 different men - Mike Gatting before he was sacked in a wholly unsatisfactory manner, John Emburey for 1(?) Test, Chris Cowdrey who wasn't even anywhere near good enough to be playing (and whose godfather was the CoS), and Graham Gooch who wasn't given the captaincy long-term for another 18 months despite his proposed captaincy that winter causing the tour to be cancelled.

Oh, and England lost 4 Tests out of 5, too, only being saved by lost play (to rain IIRR) in the one draw.
Pretty close. Gatting was indeed sacked after the first test. The selectors said they didn't believe the press story about ***ual shenanigans in his hotel room, but thought they should sack him anyway. More to do with the Rana affair really, but they hadn't had the guts to sack him straight away. Or else for his reverse sweep in the WC final, which really should have cost him his job on the spot. This was the first time in 11 tests that England had not lost to WI. The rain played a part, but they batted pretty well 2nd innings and deserved the draw, IIRC. Thereafter, they fell apart. Emburey was in charge for 2 games, then Cowdrey & Gooch for one apiece.

Interesting call which was worse, 1988 or 1989. In 1988 we got through one less player but in one less test. Plus, in 1989, we lost a dozen or so players midseason after they signed up for a "rebel" tour of SA. Anyone who criticises the current selectors for being too conservative when it comes to changing the test side should be forced to watch ball-by-ball footage all of England's home tests in 1986, 1988 & 1989 imo.

Craig

World Traveller

Didn't Mark Butcher also captain against New Zealand in 1999? :wacko: