• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do people think of Cricket Star?

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
There's an interesting article by S Hyghes on Cricket Star, which seems to be a cross between Big Brother and Pop Idol (yuck!) with the aim of finding a new cricket star for India. With it apparently coming to the UK later this year (to be fronted by Shilpa Shetty if you believe the Telegraph - who has been in the news here lately for the wrong reasons) I'd like to know: Has it been on TV in India? And what do people think of it - a serious search for new talent or a publicity stunt?

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I saw an episode which had Robin Singh selecting and Ajay Jadeja hosting. It seemed a legitimate selection process from the looks of it. I am not sure what the winner of cricket star will get. If it is a club contract of sorts with one of the small clubs in England, I do not mind it at all.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Well according to the article by Mr Hughes a professional contract with Leicestershire CCC (the programme is the idea of English entrepreneaur Manoj Bedale who has buisness interests in India and purchased the commerical rights for Leicestershire.) So I imagine the winner would play club/second XI cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's an interesting article by S Hyghes on Cricket Star, which seems to be a cross between Big Brother and Pop Idol (yuck!) with the aim of finding a new cricket star for India.
Well the BBC patented that idea ages ago with the wonderful Fame Academy... 8-)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I read the Hughes article (always get the Torygraph on Wednesdays for the Fantasy Football, not proud of myself tho :shy:) and he noted that the players voted down religious lines. Bit unfortunate, that.

Link here, if anyone's interested.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry for the large bump but did anyone watch this show. I felt the concept was very good, Robin Singh was great for me - he spoke English, and he was a great motivator and really shouted when the people screwed up. The main deficiency of the show was the winner - Sukhvir Singh. He seemed to be the quickest bowler at about 125kph (thats India for you) but he was not the best at all and was in danger zone (for poor performance) several times.

Sadly, I think he won because he was Sikh and had many Sikh voters and also he was mouthy and maybe he was a bit of a personality, I don't know because I could only understand the odd word of hindi and punjabi.

Dinesh Salumke (sp?) was the best player and even he couldn't believe it when he was told he did not make the final two. Kapil was angry and gave him and Mohammad Abbas (other 3rd or 4th place) both scholarships to his academy which I think undermined the show a little bit and the problem of an average player winning needs to be prevented, I thought the idea of a Danger Zone would work, but people obviously voted when the player was out. Maybe getting Man of the Series should have a beneficial on votes.

On a lighter note, when Sukhvir won, he cryed like a baby for so long, it was a little pathetic but a dream come true, it is certainly understandable. When the fireworks went off at the end, Kapil almost pooed his pants out of shock and fear, maybe they should have rehearsed that :).

stumpski

International Captain
Didn't see the show, but as I recall, the winner got a contract with a county side (Leicestershire?)

Has he played any first-team cricket yet?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
No, I don't think he is good enough, but from a snippet in the Wisden Cricketer, he seems to be a hard worker and also is playing for Leicestershire 2nd XI and some of their high esteemed clubs.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
I presume this show is on in the UK? So what is the exact aim of it? To get the best Indian cricketer from India or from the UK? And if it is the former, then why did they only show the show on the UK? Or did I miss it? I saw a small article in the Times of India this morning but that was the first I'd heard of the show. I'm very confused.