• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacques Rudolph signs 3 year deal with Yorkshire

Langeveldt

Soutie
Interesting News

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=6&click_id=4&art_id=qw1169587085927S163

Surely he was very close to being picked for SA, seems an odd move unless it was motivated by money.. One would hope it would be more benificial for him to be playing Franchise cricket instead of county cricket.. Obviously not..

EDIT - I see he will be playing for the Free State Eagles as well, interesting, will keep him busy at least. Better than carrying drinks around all day

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting News

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=6&click_id=4&art_id=qw1169587085927S163

Surely he was very close to being picked for SA, seems an odd move unless it was motivated by money.. One would hope it would be more benificial for him to be playing Franchise cricket instead of county cricket.. Obviously not..

EDIT - I see he will be playing for the Free State Eagles as well, interesting, will keep him busy at least. Better than carrying drinks around all day
He would have to score some runs for that to happen.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting move, he'll certainly be busy anyway. If it helps him push his claim for a spot in the South African team then it's all good.

brockley

International Captain
Look forward to rudolph becoming english may be another kevim pieterson,can't wait to see him in national colours in 4 years time.

Craig

World Traveller
Geez that is a big decison to make yourself not available for selection for three years.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
To be honest, in a way it's not a bad move, as his career seemed to be just "treading water" as such. Doing something drastic like this could well steel him for a successful tilt at international cricket in a few years time.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
To be honest, in a way it's not a bad move, as his career seemed to be just "treading water" as such. Doing something drastic like this could well steel him for a successful tilt at international cricket in a few years time.
Reminds me of one M E K Hussey... :p

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I'm surprised he's done this just now - he might have got into the forthcoming Test if Gibbs' ban is upheld - and AB is in appaling form just now. IMO if I were Yorkshire i'd be worried he's still playing SA domestic cricket because if he hits a run of form in SA during their next summer and they ask him to play he might do that and tear up the Yorkshire contract (it happened with Warwickshire and Paul Harris). Still after Yorkshire's wrechted off-season (Lehmann and McGrath out, no Adams, David Byas quitting) they need all the batting they can get....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I can't ever really see Rudolph being Test-class but why he's not been an ODI fixture the last 3 years is beyond me...

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I can't ever really see Rudolph being Test-class but why he's not been an ODI fixture the last 3 years is beyond me...
Maybe because South Africa didn't need someone who batted in ODI like it was a timeless test?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe because South Africa didn't need someone who batted in ODI like it was a timeless test?
How many times has he done that?

I've seen plenty enough examples of him being the perfect one-day player, in that he can both play shots and nudge the ball around... and work-out when to do which.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
How many times has he done that?

I've seen plenty enough examples of him being the perfect one-day player, in that he can both play shots and nudge the ball around... and work-out when to do which.
TBH I haven't, I just remember him and Ashwell Prince having a battle of who could waste the most balls. South Africa have a perfectly decent and settled one day side and Rudolph doesn’t fit their criteria of cricketer (currently).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha that was when both Prince and Rudolph were playing for themselves in the VB Series last year. Both trying to play for a spot in the team, was disgraceful tbh.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Geez that is a big decison to make yourself not available for selection for three years.
Not too familiar regarding County Cricket, so if this is a stupid question excuse my ignorance. But by signing for Yorkshire, why has he made himself unavailable for selection for 3 years? How does that work?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Not too familiar regarding County Cricket, so if this is a stupid question excuse my ignorance. But by signing for Yorkshire, why has he made himself unavailable for selection for 3 years? How does that work?
Rudolph has a three year Kolpak contract and the only way he could play for South Africa again in those three years is by terminating that contract. Paul Harris did the same thing late last year. Also you can only be a Kolpak player if you haven't represented your country in the last twelve months, so Rudolph can not represent South Africa in the winter because he would invalidate his contract (or by playing for South Africa on Friday). Simply by playing as a Kolpak his no longer viewed as a South African.

http://www.ecb.co.uk/ecb/publications/kolpak-ruling,499,BP.html

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Rudolph has a three year Kolpak contract and the only way he could play for South Africa again in those three years is by terminating that contract. Paul Harris did the same thing late last year. Also you can only be a Kolpak player if you haven't represented your country in the last twelve months, so Rudolph can not represent South Africa in the winter because he would invalidate his contract (or by playing for South Africa on Friday). Simply by playing as a Kolpak his no longer viewed as a South African.

http://www.ecb.co.uk/ecb/publications/kolpak-ruling,499,BP.html

I CBA to look it up, but I'm fairly certain he played on SA's tour of Sri Lanka, which took place during our summer last year, which will mean he's played for his country within the last 12 months & still will have even by the time our season starts. How're Yorks getting round that one?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I CBA to look it up, but I'm fairly certain he played on SA's tour of Sri Lanka, which took place during our summer last year, which will mean he's played for his country within the last 12 months & still will have even by the time our season starts. How're Yorks getting round that one?
He did play against Sri Lanka, so I have no idea how they got around that small detail. Maybe his contract starts in August?