• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacques Rudolph signs 3 year deal with Yorkshire

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As I said though, I think Rudolph could be much better than that if he took his bowling just a little more seriously. The fact that English domesitc batsmen are not good players of leg spin gives him a good opportunity to see if he can get it up to a decent standard.
Or it would more likely flatter to deceive. As if these are such poor players against wristspin, he could conceivably do very well and still be mediocrity personified.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's in the same boat as White in this regard. He got belted in England from memory. A lot of work to do on his part too.
Getting as you have Cullen and Bailey mixed-up, Cullen isn't even in the White mould - White is a batsman who's supposedly able to bowl. Cullen is a bowler who's supposedly able to bowl.

To date, neither have achieved much of note with the ball and I have to deeply doubt either will.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought White used to be a bowling all rounder but I didn't think his bowling was this bad.
The new Shane Warne:laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBF I never heard anyone go quite that far.

The nearest anyone did was someone (He Shall remain nameless) who said he was similar to Kumble.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year

Blond Hair,Bowls Leggies.There were comparisons to Warney allright when White burst on the scene and people were thinking he was going to be the next great spin hope.Agree that he's a completely different bowler to Warne.Don't think i've seen White turn a ball:blink:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The blond-Victorian-wristspinner stuff was mostly tongue-in-cheek. At least from those who knew what they were on about.

No-one seriously believed White would ever come close to emulating Warne. I find it utterly inconceivable that their bowling has anything in common. For a start, White has always lacked Warne's accuracy.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I don't think that anyone seriously believed that White would ever be able to emulate Warne. However, he was still meant to have the potential to be around the MacGill standard when he was u-19, but he seems to have fallen away somehwat.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I say - might not have been in this thread - the only comparisons I ever heard were to Kumble.

His length, however, has always been patently lacking in that regard.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

The nearest anyone did was someone (He Shall remain nameless) who said he was similar to Kumble.
Well, his bowling actually is similar to that of Kumble - it's just nowhere near as good, and never will be. Much like how I'm a similar bowler to Jason Krejza.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Or it would more likely flatter to deceive. As if these are such poor players against wristspin, he could conceivably do very well and still be mediocrity personified.
My point was that he will have the opportunity to get more of a bowl. Given the poor standard of play against wrist spinners, he could be given the ball more than he would in South Africa, and hence be given a greater opportunity to work on and improve his bowling.

deeps

International 12th Man
ok seriously, i don't see anything special about White's bowling at all.

Somehow, he seems to have got a reputation as an 'all rounder', and so then he gets to bowl a few overs.

Michael Clarke isnt even considered an all rounder as such, and i'd rather bowl Clarke over White.

I mean seriously, his bowling is NOTHING special, i've seen club cricketers bowl better spin than him.

His batting alone, would not get him into the Australian side either. It's far too hit and miss, there's far better players in the domestic circuit.

People say 'he's working on his leg spin'... You DO NOT 'work on your leggies' in an international cricket match.

You harness your skills at domestic level, and showcase them at international. He doesn't even have a decent stock leggy for crying out loud.

He's something like 23 years old, if he hasn't managed to learn how to bowl a leggie by now, god save him.

It's like Australia picked a random player who was young, and said 'you son, are a leg spinner, who can bat'.. and they spread the word around that this bloke is something special and is an all rounder. No evidence to prove it from my point of view. The state boards 'promoting' their players to soound brilliant doesn't help either. The captaincy of Victoria was obviously a ploy so that everyone will say 'White is a future australian captain'

The following passage says it all really:

Fair-haired and level-headed, Cameron White has long seemed destined to play a significant role in Australia's future. Only the precise nature of that role has baffled his admirers. Nagging legspinner? Solid middle-order bat? Intuitive skipper? Or a bit of all three?

So he's destined to play a role, but no1 has any idea what role? So they tried to make him a bowler... dint work, they tried to make him a batsman, not looking all that convincing...

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, his bowling actually is similar to that of Kumble - it's just nowhere near as good, and never will be. Much like how I'm a similar bowler to Jason Krejza.
Similar in terms of flatness, but nothing like in terms of accuracy.

Just depends how far you want to take the similarity, really.

You could say that I'm similar to you in that I bowl. :)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Similar in terms of flatness, but nothing like in terms of accuracy.

Just depends how far you want to take the similarity, really.

You could say that I'm similar to you in that I bowl. :)
They are very similar in the style they bowl and what they attempt to do. They are completely dissimilar in their execution of such though.

Neither gets appreciable turn, both bowl with fairly high arm actions, both bowl quickly as far as spin bowlers go, and both rely a lot on variation (of both the deliveries they bowl and the pitch) to be at maximum effectiveness. White is an extremely poor man's Kumble - a broke man's Kumble, if you will.