• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacques Rudolph signs 3 year deal with Yorkshire

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmmm - "I'm going to turn my back on international cricket so I can improve my game by playing county cricket"

Why dont I think that's all there is to it?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm - "I'm going to turn my back on international cricket so I can improve my game by playing county cricket"

Why dont I think that's all there is to it?

You & me both. Either he's seriously miffed about not being selected, or there's been a falling out somewhere along the line, imo.

Langeveldt

Soutie
You & me both. Either he's seriously miffed about not being selected, or there's been a falling out somewhere along the line, imo.
If so, he's a bit of a dullard.. Got to score runs to get selected mate (mind you, consistantly failing never did Smith any harm)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
If so, he's a bit of a dullard.. Got to score runs to get selected mate (mind you, consistantly failing never did Smith any harm)
Agreed. Last time I looked, he averaged about 31 against everyone except bangladesh, so he couldn't really complain.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rudolph has played 111 List-A matches.

After 17 matches he averaged 51.13. After 30, 50.34.
After 47 of them he averaged 50.67. That was up to the 2003 season.
He averaged 40.45 in his next 33 matches over the next year, until the 2004/05 season.
He's averaged 41.39 in 31 matches since.

His career average is 45.21. I'm wondering when exactly you checked his average, Richard, because I'm struggling to see when Rudolph ever averaged in the mid-50s.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He didn't - he averaged in the early 50s (at the time you stated) and Pietersen averaged in the early 40s before his ODI debut.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Good to see that you were willing to admit your error. That said, I don't see how Pietersen's ODI stats should be discounted, considering that those are runs scored at a higher level than that of Rudolph's at the time when he averaged over 50. I don't see how you can insinuate that Rudolph is potentially a better player on the basis of his OD average, then discount Pietersen's success in ODIs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not - there's no way on Earth I can ever see Rudolph being a better player than Pietersen at any level of the game.

I wasn't meaning to discount Pietersen's ODI stats (though I do think List-A should be domestic-only and not domestic-OD+ODI, but that's not really important here), just to say that there was a time when Pietersen's average was 10 lower than Rudolph's. Don't know, indeed, where I got the idea that Rudolph ever averaged 55 or so.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Can only really be a good thing for Yorkshire Cricket, a class player, and hopefully him and Younis will score plenty of runs in the new season.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I honestly don't think the two can be separated. Both brilliant players. Younis, to date, unproven in English domestic-First-Class-cricket, though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, I see it as dangerous to expect anyone, no matter how good, to average all but 70 over 7 seasons as Boof did.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"I see no reason why he shouldn't"

Didja mean "I see no reason why he couldn't", then?

'Cos they sure is very, very different.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Anyone who thinks Younis Khan is a better player than Darren Lehmann is clearly under-rating Lehmann's ability. Lehmann may well be the most under-rated of Australian batsmen of his generation. Or at least he's among them.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyone who thinks Younis Khan is a better player than Darren Lehmann is clearly under-rating Lehmann's ability. Lehmann may well be the most under-rated of Australian batsmen of his generation. Or at least he's among them.
Definately agree with you mate, he's been murdering the attacks in England and Australia for years.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd be pretty surprised if Younis does manage to emulate Lehmann's deeds. He has it in him, I don't doubt, but as I said, I'd rank it much less likely than more.