• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacques Rudolph signs 3 year deal with Yorkshire

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not too familiar regarding County Cricket, so if this is a stupid question excuse my ignorance. But by signing for Yorkshire, why has he made himself unavailable for selection for 3 years? How does that work?
Rudolph has a three year Kolpak contract and the only way he could play for South Africa again in those three years is by terminating that contract. Paul Harris did the same thing late last year. Also you can only be a Kolpak player if you haven't represented your country in the last twelve months, so Rudolph can not represent South Africa in the winter because he would invalidate his contract (or by playing for South Africa on Friday). Simply by playing as a Kolpak his no longer viewed as a South African.

http://www.ecb.co.uk/ecb/publications/kolpak-ruling,499,BP.html
Had he signed as an overseas-player he'd still be fully available.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH I haven't, I just remember him and Ashwell Prince having a battle of who could waste the most balls. South Africa have a perfectly decent and settled one day side and Rudolph doesn’t fit their criteria of cricketer (currently).
You don't remember anything other than that?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Well... yes, actually...

Some of these might get you started... they weren't all bad, y'know.
All well and good showing me those 'stats' Richard but where is the balls faced and the magnitude/significance of those knocks, did South Africa win those games?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But Yorkshire already have two overseas players for this year, Younis Khan and Jason Gillespie. With Matthew Elliott filling in whilst Younis competes in the World Cup.
That'd be a good reason why not, then...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
All well and good showing me those 'stats' Richard but where is the balls faced and the magnitude/significance of those knocks, did South Africa win those games?
Whether they won or not isn't neccessarily significant, and I didn't create the Spider so maybe you might want to suggest inserting the balls-faced to the Content Updaters. There's no stats-package that shows you that without moving to the individual-game page.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Let us not forget that Rudolph is 10X the player Pietersen was when he came to England..

I think the county cricket experience can make a cricketer..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Question is, will Rudolph too then turn his back on "his" country to adopt the one that he owed his career-changing turn-of-fortune to...?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Question is, will Rudolph too then turn his back on "his" country to adopt the one that he owed his career-changing turn-of-fortune to...?
doubt it.. But I don't see why Cricket SA has approved this move, after what happened with Pietersen..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Let us not forget that Rudolph is 10X the player Pietersen was when he came to England..

I think the county cricket experience can make a cricketer..
And Pietersen is 5x the international batsman Rudolph is and that can't all be due to county experience. I think there's ability at stake here too.

If Rudolph ends his career averaging more than Pietersen, I'll eat a live frog.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And I my computer.

In Tests and First-Class cricket, that is - Rudolph's List-A-OD average is currently around 10 runs higher than Pietersen's...