View Poll Results: Who do you agree with?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Players shouldn't walk when they know they're out

26 61.90%
  • Players should walk when they're out

16 38.10%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you agree with?

Who do you agree with?

Watching the start of the cricket today and slater and tony greig(?) was discussing about players walking. i am sure you are all familar with the issue, but what do you think?

i agree with slats, because you can't protest against the bad decisions and have to go, plus it is always nice to get some good luck.
    Last edited by The Foxtrot; 23-01-2007 at 05:07 AM.
    Leeds United will make it back to the Premier League
    "You tried and you failed miserably. Lesson here is never try"

I think players shouldn't walk - as long as they don't scream like babies when they are given out when they are not out. And can I play devil's advocate: some players might walk when the edge is so blatatly obvious anyone can see it...but for the hard-to-detect edges they might stand their ground and rely on their reputation as walkers to be given the benefit of the doubt by the umpire. IMO that would be worse than not walking at all...
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Foxtrot View Post
    i agree with slats, because you can't protest against the bad decisions and have to go, plus it is always nice to get some good luck.
    It is, but it doesn't mean anyone deserves it.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Poker Boy View Post
    I think players shouldn't walk - as long as they don't scream like babies when they are given out when they are not out.
    Seriously, though, how often does that happen?

Virtually never.

Non-walkers are hypocrites in many ways, but that is the worst of them.

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    I don't really mind either way. Kudos to those who walk if they know they're out, but I certainly don't have a problem with the vast majority of batsmen who make the umps earn their crust. They're not breaking any rules.
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

Obviously not but how on Earth do you enforce a rule "you must walk if you know you're out"?

PY
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Obviously not but how on Earth do you enforce a rule "you must walk if you know you're out"?
    It's not something that could be brought in to law obviously.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Exactly, so therefore "they're not breaking any rules" is hardly anything which can come to the defence of non-walk-ism.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I haven't voted because I'm comfortable with non-walkers, but respect those who do.

That said the depiction of Gilchrist as some latter day saint doesn't quite wash given some of the appeals he makes. Dalrymple barely got within a foot of McGrath's bouncer in the ODI @ Melbourne but Gilly went up like a thirteen-year-old's willy at the sight of a bra despite barely a flicker from Pidge. I've no issue with anyone appealing (within reason), but I'd like people to remember occasions like that next time they're tempted to buff his halo.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Gilly went up like a thirteen-year-old's willy at the sight of a bra

Oh, and on the subject of Gilchrist and unfair appeals - ever kept wicket? No? Seen rear-angle replays? If so, you'll know how easy it is to be unsighted compared to the bowler. Sometimes it can look for all money like there's a touch from behind when it can be obvious nothing of the sort from the front.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen

Oh, and on the subject of Gilchrist and unfair appeals - ever kept wicket? No? Seen rear-angle replays? If so, you'll know how easy it is to be unsighted compared to the bowler. Sometimes it can look for all money like there's a touch from behind when it can be obvious nothing of the sort from the front.
    Never competitively, no. Have done it in knock abouts tho, obv.

I'm not disputing keepers have a different angle, but really this one looked clear as day. I suppose that he may've been appealing to negate the possibility of a wide too as the ball was on the high side.

My perception of Gilchrist is someone who would never cheat. That's garnered not just from his recent trend of walking but from listinging to him throughout the last 6 years. I think if he appealed for that, he thought Dalrymple had hit it. I haven't seen every single angle, but I've seen countless similar cases where different angles paint completely different pictures. Enough for me to give him the benefit of the doubt unless there's really no doubt at all.

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    What? I said kudos to those who walk if they know they're out. I never said that they must, and I certainly wouldn't advocate changing the rules to make it so.

And I didn't say you did...

I said that saying "they're not breaking any rules" is no defence of the non-walkers. Because it'd be completely impossible to bring in a rule pertaining to said circumstances.

I thought Gilchrist's appeal was pretty half-hearted to tell you the truth, Dale. I think that the proximity of the ball to being a wide had a fair bit to do with why he went up.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information