• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you agree with?

Who do you agree with?

• Total voters

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
^^^Sums-up the most typical attitude, for mine.

Most batsmen are more concerned about their own gain (and by chain that of their team) than that of the game itself.
How is the game harmed by batsmen not walking? Most people don't really care, as evidenced in this thread. The general lack of uproar about it among the general public and media would also seem to suggest that no-one cares.

On the other hand, the game in this country certainly suffers through the poor results of the national side, so if a batsman not walking is the difference between a win and a loss, I'll take it, thanks very much.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
On the other hand, the game in this country certainly suffers through the poor results of the national side, so if a batsman not walking is the difference between a win and a loss, I'll take it, thanks very much.
And that's what really frustrated me about the McCullum-Murali incident. Some of my brethren in the press, who often chastise the BCs for their lack of killer instinct and inability to win close games, then immediately got on McCullum's back for his actions (actions which, IMO, were entirely fair). You can't win with some people when you're a Black Cap.

Dick Rockett

The media in Australia at the moment is trying to make an issue of it.
Certainly it sometimes comes up, but one can hardly claim that it's a constant thorn in the side of the game. Besides, when Australia boasts a prominent player that has a policy of walking, there's bound to be more interest in the topic than usual.
And that's what really frustrated me about the McCullum-Murali incident. Some of my brethren in the press, who often chastise the BCs for their lack of killer instinct and inability to win close games, then immediately got on McCullum's back for his actions (actions which, IMO, were entirely fair). You can't win with some people when you're a Black Cap.
You can't win at all. The general public's disdain for the team is really quite distressing. I don't recall it having been this bad since immediately prior to the '92 World Cup, when we saw exactly what bandwagon jumpers New Zealanders are.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How is the game harmed by batsmen not walking? Most people don't really care, as evidenced in this thread. The general lack of uproar about it among the general public and media would also seem to suggest that no-one cares.
On the contrary, many care - in the opinion of many (bowlers especially, and also walker-batsmen) batsmen who don't walk are cheats, and their getting away with being patently out is one of the greatest sources of friction, dissent, anger, etc. And plenty often enough, it leads to unsavoury incidents that the game of cricket can do without.

Come to that, can the game of cricket also not do without runs being scored (and teams gaining results) that are not won on their own merit but through the incompetence of Umpires and the lack-of-sportsmanship (at best) of the players?
What was I saying about caring more about yourself than the game...

Dick Rockett

On the contrary, many care
That's really a meaningless point - that is often used in the media - that attempts to prove support for a cause or idea when there isn't really any. A group can be 'many' without either being a majority, or even a significant minority.

What was I saying about caring more about yourself than the game
I think you'll find that the point I was making is that more runs from our batsmen helps the game in this country, regardless of how they come.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's really a meaningless point - that is often used in the media - that attempts to prove support for a cause or idea when there isn't really any. A group can be 'many' without either being a majority, or even a significant minority.
So long as there are any at all (and there are, plenty - see the Hussey-Nixon game for the most recent example in intl. cricket) it's plenty enough for me. There's certainly more than a significant minority.
I think you'll find that the point I was making is that more runs from our batsmen helps the game in this country, regardless of how they come.
Obviously - and therefore to you your country and your batsmen matter more than the greater good of the game of cricket.

Dick Rockett

So long as there are any at all (and there are, plenty - see the Hussey-Nixon game for the most recent example in intl. cricket) it's plenty enough for me. There's certainly more than a significant minority.
Which explains the howls of outrage, the hundreds of posts in this thread, most of them agreeing with your point of view. Oh wait, they don't exist.

If you want to see how a significant number of people respond to an issue they actually care deeply about, search for "veil or no veil".

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Meh, very few bowlers will ever be angry about a batsman not walking. Just that the umpire got the decision wrong. Even most of the sledging that goes on, along the lines of "You should've walked, you cheating so-and-so" is done as gamesmanship to get the batsman thinking about something else other than the next ball, rather than because that's what they think the batsman should have done.

I mean, the sledging would probably happen every time there's an obvious nick, yet it's not only Gilchrist and Lara doing it. Nixon himself, after all of his yap, mentioned about how he wouldn't have walked either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Meh, very few bowlers will ever be angry about a batsman not walking. Just that the umpire got the decision wrong. Even most of the sledging that goes on, along the lines of "You should've walked, you cheating so-and-so" is done as gamesmanship to get the batsman thinking about something else other than the next ball, rather than because that's what they think the batsman should have done.

I mean, the sledging would probably happen every time there's an obvious nick, yet it's not only Gilchrist and Lara doing it. Nixon himself, after all of his yap, mentioned about how he wouldn't have walked either.
That's not the point. The point is, the cause of the aggro is the fact that a batsman has not walked. Yes, the Umpire getting the decision wrong will also come into it, and indeed often bear more brunt than the non-walk, but both contributed equally to it.

And had either been reversed, we wouldn't have said aggro.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Richard said:
On the contrary, many care - in the opinion of many (bowlers especially, and also walker-batsmen) batsmen who don't walk are cheats
Find any international player who'll attest to that.
Richard said:
That's not the point. The point is, the cause of the aggro is the fact that a batsman has not walked.
It's irrelevant though, because you don't, nor should you, expect a batsman to walk.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Find any international player who'll attest to that.
Allan Donald to Michael Atherton, glove down leg, 1998, no walking: "you ****ing cheat!". Adam Gilchrist to Craig McMillan, nick, 2004, no walk: "the whole World's watching, mate."
It's irrelevant though, because you don't, nor should you, expect a batsman to walk.
I don't, but I think the game of cricket would be better if they did, and hence I "expect" it in a sense of the word.

Dick Rockett

Allan Donald to Michael Atherton, glove down leg, 1998, no walking: "you ****ing cheat!". Adam Gilchrist to Craig McMillan, nick, 2004, no walk: "the whole World's watching, mate."
That's not attesting to anything. That's gamesmanship, or sledging.

I'm sure there's plenty of on-field banter regarding various players and their fondness for farm animals too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's whatever you want to interpret it as.

The way Atherton described it, Donald was not making considered remarks, he was speaking in-the-heat-of-the-moment. Without needing to think, he felt Atherton was a cheat.

Dick Rockett

It's whatever you want to interpret it as.

The way Atherton described it, Donald was not making considered remarks, he was speaking in-the-heat-of-the-moment. Without needing to think, he felt Atherton was a cheat.
In much the same way that Herschelle Gibbs made those comments about the Pakistani spectators recently? We all occasionally say things in the heat of the moment that we wish we could take back, and usually we change our tunes when we've had a chance to cool down.

The examples you've provided, and the manner in which you've interpreted the context in which they were made, really show that what is said out in the middle should be taken less seriously, not more.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Richard said:
http://forum.cricketweb.net/showpost.php?p=1054167&postcount=50
And isn't it being "in the heat of the moment" more likely to mean you're just going to sledge for the sake of it.

At the time of posting, I was thinking more in terms of a player saying that off the field. But if anything, those quotes just back up my point. And when McMillan blew up at Gilchrist after his comments, you don't think that's the reaction that Gilchrist was searching for, or do you really think he was trying to convince him to walk?