• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you agree with?

Who do you agree with?

• Total voters

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Well, I did post in the hope that someone sane might read it. Those are the risks one takes, I suppose.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I thought Gilchrist's appeal was pretty half-hearted to tell you the truth, Dale. I think that the proximity of the ball to being a wide had a fair bit to do with why he went up.
Yeah, I'm sure that was at least part of his thinking, as I said.

But still, appealing when he knows the bloke's not out? Someone better get on the phone to Rome & tell Benny to stop the beatification pronto....

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well to be perfectly honest I admire Adam Gilchrist for walking, but I don't think that every player should walk when they know they are out. As has been said many times before, walking is a preferential thing and it is up to the individual person to make a judgement. The worst thing however would be somebody that walks when his team is easily winning and then can stand his ground, knowing that he is out when his team are struggling and he could be the difference. Consistency is all I would like from walkers/ non-walkers and I don't have a problem with Michael Hussey or Craig McMillan because they didn't walk.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Probably deserves to be in the "Most Disgraceful Commentary... etc." thread, but when Gilchrist got that shocker (I think it might've been in Sydney) and one of the commentators talked about how you could tell that Gilchrist didn't hit it because he walked, and Bowden should have used this as evidence as to why it wasn't out. That's setting a hugely dangerous precedent.

I think some people can do with remembering that you're not always sure whether you nicked it straight away, and in that case you shouldn't expect a walker to walk off, IMO.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Probably deserves to be in the "Most Disgraceful Commentary... etc." thread, but when Gilchrist got that shocker (I think it might've been in Sydney) and one of the commentators talked about how you could tell that Gilchrist didn't hit it because he walked, and Bowden should have used this as evidence as to why it wasn't out. That's setting a hugely dangerous precedent.
Presuming you meant didn't walk, but yeah, I agree. Though it's hard not to imagine that umpires occasionally make calls based on how convincing appeals are (the keeper particularly) on some decisions, it certainly shouldn't be advocated.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
It doesn't matter to me either way. I voted not to walk because that is what I do.

I admire those who do walk, but I'm hardly disappointed when someone doesn't.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Two L's tbh.

Just for clarification, your very existence troubles me. So the thought of you writing a book, wow, I've never been quite as personally troubled.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dear oh dear, how utterly immature to be troubled by the mere existence of someone nearly half the planet away... the missing of the 2nd L was deliberate, BTW...

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
If your a batsman, you want to get as many runs as you can, and if the umpire doesnt know your out, then youre still in as fara s Im concerned. You wouldnt catch me walking.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
^^^Sums-up the most typical attitude, for mine.

Most batsmen are more concerned about their own gain (and by chain that of their team) than that of the game itself.