• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The one player you want to play for your country

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Which player would you want from any other country. Remember if you select someone who is 35ish they may only play for 1-2 more years.

I'd go for Hussey for NZ. We need an Opener and If I recall Hussey started as one.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
For England

It would have been Gilchrist a few years ago, and maybe still is.

Tossup between him and Kallis.

For SA

Ponting or Murali

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Goughy said:
For England

It would have been Gilchrist a few years ago, and maybe still is.

Tossup between him and Kallis.
It'd have to be a wicket keeper of some variety, surely...

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
some gun bowler, Bond with less injuries probably

Flintoff maybe can bowl fast and can bat...

Flintoff it is.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I was under the impression that Gilchrist was a keeper. Am I mistaken? :D
Yeah, I was referring to your "Tossup between him and Kallis." comment. Kallis would be very useful for England as it would allow Flintoff to bat 7 and Read/Jones to bat 8 without disrupting the bowling too much. However their wicket keeping options have been so dire recently that you'd just have to take one..

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
For India, it would be one of Symonds, Gayle or Brett Lee.
  • Symonds is an explosive middle-order batsman, top-class fielder and a more-than-useful stock bowler. He's got everything needed for that place in the Indian middle-order, which all current batsmen are lacking.
  • The Indians' Test and ODI opening conundrum would be solved greatly if Chris Gayle opened the innings. You'd have the same opener in both forms. He is also a very explosive batsman who can still play a very long innings and is a more-than-useful off-spinner who will last long, unlike Sehwag, Yuvraj and Mongia.
  • Brett Lee has pace. His bowling unit rolls over batting sides cheaply. His team wins tournaments. Enough said!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, I was referring to your "Tossup between him and Kallis." comment. Kallis would be very useful for England as it would allow Flintoff to bat 7 and Read/Jones to bat 8 without disrupting the bowling too much. However their wicket keeping options have been so dire recently that you'd just have to take one..
Personally, I'd take Kallis and have Read at 8.