• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is mitchell johnson once in generation fast bowler?

pup11

International Coach
Sir Denise lille said that mitchell is once in a generation bowler i am also really impressed by mitch but can he back lille's word and prove to be australia's answer to wasim akram .

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Australia doesn't need an 'answer' to Wasim Akram. And yes he has potential, but this generation had McGrath and the previous generation had Ambrose and Marshall. So I wouldn't go and call him that, until he does something in tests.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
How is it possible to answer that question with any conviction?
Indeed.

He's very talented and looks to have a good temprament for international cricket as well, and seems a fast learner. That's all you can really say at this point.

I guess we need a thread on every Australian cricketer started today, though.

Natman20

International Debutant
I saw him bowl when he first started and didn't think it was that spectacular as he got thrashed around by the kiwis but I am starting to like the look of him. He could prove to be a permanent person in the side after the world cup but their are a lot of quality bowlers around as well such as Clark, Bracken, Hilfenhaus (potentially), Tait (maybe), Lee. Again Australia IMO will seem like a fairly in control side once the golden oldies all retire but I dont think they will have the same class as we have seen in the last ten or so years.

archie mac

International Coach
Aust. cricket history has had very few fast left handers (Whitty, Davidson, Reid, Matthews), I have always wondered why?

In fact world cricket has had a much smaller number of LA fast men compared to LA spinners

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He could be the best young fast bowler in the world today - gets up towards 150, leftie, moves it both ways, gets bounce

But he could break down tomorrow and never play a test

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Aust. cricket history has had very few fast left handers (Whitty, Davidson, Reid, Matthews), I have always wondered why?

In fact world cricket has had a much smaller number of LA fast men compared to LA spinners
Seem to be more common in Asia as well, with the likes of Pathan, Vaas, Zoysa, Khan, Rasel etc.compared with relatively few from the other nations.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He could be the best young fast bowler in the world today - gets up towards 150, leftie, moves it both ways, gets bounce

But he could break down tomorrow and never play a test
And, looking at his past, it's not the most outrageous possibility.

archie mac

International Coach
Seem to be more common in Asia as well, with the likes of Pathan, Vaas, Zoysa, Khan, Rasel etc.compared with relatively few from the other nations.
Very true, when I think of FLA for England only Bill Voce and Frank Foster come to mind. I have a feeling one of the Lever brothers may have been a lefty?

pup11

International Coach
Wasin akram is the greatest left armer ever.

he is the highest wicket taker in odi's 509 and 407 in test so any team will love a bowler with such stats and he is the master of reverse swing. Mitch is different from all current left armers with a whipy action in that akram mould it will gr8 if he can learn his tricks to .

Josh

International Regular
He's got a good action... dunno what Dennis is on about, though. Bit early for those type of calls, imo.

archie mac

International Coach
West Indies - Ian Bradshaw, Pedro Collins, Deighton Butler, Kenroy Peters.
It is quite amazing when you think about it, all of those bowlers you have listed would not even come close to an all time WI fast bowling line up, and apart from Alan Davidson and maybe Bill Voce no lefties from Aust. Eng, WI, NZ or Sth Afr (can't think of a great one from there?) would be rated too highly either.

Can anyone think of a reason for this? After all more then 10% of the pop. is left handed

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He's got a good action... dunno what Dennis is on about, though. Bit early for those type of calls, imo.
Lillee saw him at the age of about 18 and nominated him as such. He was reputedly quicker then than what he is now, has lost some yards because of the numerous back injuries he's had.