Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who will be Australia's new spinner?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Well, so did I...

Oh, right, genuinely didn't realise that.

I'm amazed a Trinidadian would idolise a Guyanese, mind.
    He played for the West Indies first and foremost. He was West Indian.
    That's like saying it's surprising that a Londoner would idolize Geoff Boycott.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Well... it would be.

I'd truly be amazed if anyone outside Yorkshire ever idolised Geoff Boycott the batsman.

Indeed, idolising batsmen of his type is pretty unusual... only case I can think of it is Botham's always said he idolised Barrington, and that could only have been added to by Barrington later becoming his mentor before his tragically early death.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Well... it would be.

I'd truly be amazed if anyone outside Yorkshire ever idolised Geoff Boycott the batsman.
    I love Boycott, and my post history proves it .
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

But you don't love him because of the memory of him batting. You're too young.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    But you don't love him because of the memory of him batting. You're too young.
    Very true. What about Dravid and Kallis though?

Well... it would be.

Indeed, idolising batsmen of his type is pretty unusual... only case I can think of it is Botham's always said he idolised Barrington, and that could only have been added to by Barrington later becoming his mentor before his tragically early death.
    Are you seriously debating this point? I can never tell and can scarcely believe that you would.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Very true. What about Dravid and Kallis though?
    Dravid and Kallis' stonewalling is nothing compared to Boycott's. Kallis suffers from the same stupidly-constructed arguments of selfishness, mind (and Dravid would do if he hadn't been well-spoken and had several opportunties to demonstrate his selflessness).

And in any case, none have ever portrayed the miserable-old-bugger portrait, the way Boycs always did. Even Kallis has only ever been the-really-quiet-one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Are you seriously debating this point? I can never tell and can scarcely believe that you would.
    Which one? That Lara idolised Fredericks? No, not at all, I've never heard him talk of the matter.

That anyone outside Yorkshire idolised Boycott? Hell, yes! Half the country despised him, even as he was making huge contributions to countless Test victories (and non-defeats). Often for utterly absurd reasons. Boycott may have been admired by some (grudgingly both some of those some) but certainly there's no way he was ever idolised by anyone other than those who looked-up to what are often referred to as "solid Yorkshire virtues".

Which one? That Lara idolised Fredericks? No, not at all, I've never heard him talk of the matter.

That anyone outside Yorkshire idolised Boycott? Hell, yes! Half the country despised him, even as he was making huge contributions to countless Test victories (and non-defeats). Often for utterly absurd reasons. Boycott may have been admired by some (grudgingly both some of those some) but certainly there's no way he was ever idolised by anyone other than those who admired what are often referred to as "solid Yorkshire virtues".
    The point is so blatantly that a person may support a player who plays for his country whether or not that player plays for his county or was born in his county. So...blatant...

Supporting is completely different to idolising.

...wow...

Have you become of late a fan of "o" sandwitched between "w"s?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information