• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Mohammad Asif currently the best fast bowler in the world ?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You sure you wouldn't go so far as to say Kapil was Test-class only for a time (not sure precisely when that would be)?
Interesting question - I would say no as Kapil was remarkebly consistent from beginning to end of his career. His average, after his 20th match, never dipped below 25 and never went above 30 in his entire career. So basically he was a decent test class bowler consistently day in and out, but it also means he was never fantastic either.

And you sure you wouldn't go so far as to say Anil Bhai was Test-class only on the right pitches (ie mostly at home)?
Far be it from me to defend an Indian bowler, so I would say 'yes' except that in all major wins home and away, over the last fifteen years Kumble has had a hand. That, coupled with the rather bare spin cupboard outside of Warne and Murali means I put him as Test class.

I can see your point though - he averaged in the high thirties most of his career in the nineties, but having watched him in the nineties and this century...he has been the only consistent bowler to threaten to take wickets on most days for India.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kumble became a better Test bowler round about 2001, 2002, I'll give him that.

Unfortunately, he also became a considerably worse ODI bowler after WC99.

FRAZ

International Captain
Unfortunately, he also became a considerably worse ODI bowler after WC99.
Is it due to the fact that he hasn't got much of a variety and is the one who doesn't like to come outta text book ? Just wondering !!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Quite the opposite IMO. It's since he's started to experiment more that it's had a detrimental effect on his ODI bowling. He was best when he used to fire it through lovely and fast and flat, he was almost impossible to cut and pull, and so difficult to advance to. So few spinners have truly perfected that. Dharmasena was another one.

Depending on where your priorities lie, that's either good or bad. Most Brits and Old Romantics would say it's good.

FRAZ

International Captain
I'll go to the VERY basics of the game . I remember that when I was like 8-9 years old , I was never comfortable against quick bowlers and a person told me that if the ball is coming quick then just play with a defensive bat and the ball will go farther from the closing fielders and there is a chance that you may at least run a run or two . I found that the bowlers who are a little quicker often go for a few more runs given if the ball touches the bat . So IMHO a same shot played against any other spinner might give your team a single run but if played against Kumble then there is a possibility of converting a single into a two .Kumble's pace goes against him in the one dayers IMHO. I might be wrong but Kumble or Bravo or whoever is like them are a package of a 40 runs during a one dayer . I might be wrong ,anyways !!!!!!!!!!

JaiMurugan

Cricket Spectator
Both Srinath and Parsad were definitely test quality.
Prasad was a smart bowler but he lacked pace to be effective at test level....never once saw him cross 130 kmhr which was poor for a guy who was quite strong and well built.
Still, he was definitely one of the better Indian seamers and was useful in ODIs and in helpful conditions at test level.

Srinath will forever remain one of Indian cricket's biggest under-achievers - had real pace, even after the shoulder surgery he clocked 149 km'hr against Australia At Calcutta in 1998 and in the 1999 WC, swing and seam movement....but he was never able to quite hit the right length that would have fetched him a lot more nicks. Instead he was left to constantly beating the batsmen and ruefully shaking his head.

JaiMurugan

Cricket Spectator
If I knew, I'd be clamoring for his inclusion. I think Powar is better, but its too early to tell for him. I'd be happier of Chawla or another leggie comes up soon. If not, we'd have to suffer with him...but that doesn't mean he is anything but a mediocre bowler.

Hard to see how Powar would fare all that much better than Harbhajan at test level IMO.
At the end of the day, finger spinners need helpful wickets to be really effective.
He may be worth a shot on Indian pitches but I doubt he'll be all that much more successful than Harby.

I think Pragyan OJha may have more potential that Powar......he is a a left arm wrist spinner (I don't think India has ever had one of those before) and from what I've heard quite a big turner of the ball.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'll go to the VERY basics of the game . I remember that when I was like 8-9 years old , I was never comfortable against quick bowlers and a person told me that if the ball is coming quick then just play with a defensive bat and the ball will go farther from the closing fielders and there is a chance that you may at least run a run or two . I found that the bowlers who are a little quicker often go for a few more runs given if the ball touches the bat . So IMHO a same shot played against any other spinner might give your team a single run but if played against Kumble then there is a possibility of converting a single into a two .Kumble's pace goes against him in the one dayers IMHO. I might be wrong but Kumble or Bravo or whoever is like them are a package of a 40 runs during a one dayer . I might be wrong ,anyways !!!!!!!!!!
Quick seamers are hardly comparable to quick spinners.

Kumble's pace was even an advantage in that respect from what I saw - in that the ball going quickly off the bat meant it usually reached the sweeper quicker (given that Kumble was not a PowerPlay - first-15 in those days - bowler) and gave time for just a single rather than 2.