• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

why did Ganguly giveup his ODI opening slot ?

dass

Banned
i was wondering why did he drop himself down the order back in 2003 ? I think this was one of the reasons his form got effected and thus was eventually dropped in 2005, his record as an opener is so good, May be he would have not faced the humilation of being dropped if he would have continued as an opener. But oh well he is back with a bang as an a opener !!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not sure it was totally his decision, but it had something, surely, to do with Tendulkar's (IMO rather short-sighted) desire to open, and the fact that Sehwag opening at that time was a must...

But I too rather wish he'd just remained opening. IMO one of the best ODI openers ever and if he can script a final chapter at WC2007 that'd be pretty awesome. Ideally in partnership with Robin Uthappa, why India's selectors seem so reluctant to give him a run is an utter mystery to me.

adharcric

International Coach
One could argue that Gambhir deserves a run just as much as Uthappa. Really, Sehwag should've been dropped a while back and these two should've been tried and tested by now.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sehwag will eventually be a middle order ODI batsman IMO, particularly when Sachin and Dravid are gone.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
i was wondering why did he drop himself down the order back in 2003 ? I think this was one of the reasons his form got effected and thus was eventually dropped in 2005, his record as an opener is so good, May be he would have not faced the humilation of being dropped if he would have continued as an opener. But oh well he is back with a bang as an a opener !!!
So it is a humiliation to get dropped from the team ? He wasn't playing well and he should have been dropped, no ? ? And 98 on a flat pitch doesn't mean much, let him perform consistently to say 'He is back' and yada yada yada. No sorry, he is not back yet, I would rather wait for at least next 14 matches, if he does well, then yes he is back, otherwise no he isn't.

dass

Banned
So it is a humiliation to get dropped from the team ? He wasn't playing well and he should have been dropped, no ? ? And 98 on a flat pitch doesn't mean much, let him perform consistently to say 'He is back' and yada yada yada. No sorry, he is not back yet, I would rather wait for at least next 14 matches, if he does well, then yes he is back, otherwise no he isn't.
i can see that you are one of those Ganguly haters 8-)

Brian Lara is correct Ganguly should have not been dropped in the first place. yes his form was bad, but if you look at his stats during that time he only played bad in like 6 or 7 games and because of that he was dropped for like almost 2 years ?

adharcric

International Coach

Brian Lara is correct Ganguly should have not been dropped in the first place. yes his form was bad, but if you look at his stats during that time he only played bad in like 6 or 7 games and because of that he was dropped for like almost 2 years ?
Please don't act like the Indian media. I'm a "Ganguly lover" and I'll tell you he should've been dropped.

Complicated

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
But if he was struggling in Indian Domestic Cricket at that time, he obviously wasn't ready to come back to international cricket.

I have to admit though India look alot more formidable with an inform Ganguly at 2 and Tendulkar at 3

adharcric

International Coach
15 months. 12 months in a year. You do the math ...

He didn't do anything to indicate a return to form for the first year or so. He was called up at the right time.

adharcric

International Coach
But if he was struggling in Indian Domestic Cricket at that time, he obviously wasn't ready to come back to international cricket.

I have to admit though India look alot more formidable with an inform Ganguly at 2 and Tendulkar at 3
India "look" formidable to some with Sehwag and Tendulkar opening. Really, that doesn't mean anything unless the two of them are actually performing. Sehwag should have been dropped from the one-day side ages ago. In fact, I don't want him in the World Cup team even if he scores runs for Delhi in the Ranji OD tournament. He's far too unreliable and unproductive. Gambhir and Uthappa are equally explosive and infinitely more dependable. The number of so-called "experts" in India who want Sehwag in the side astounds me.

V Reddy

International Debutant
I'm not sure it was totally his decision, but it had something, surely, to do with Tendulkar's (IMO rather short-sighted) desire to open, and the fact that Sehwag opening at that time was a must...

Spot on Rich. Infact i wanted Sachin to bat at 4 & Sehwag and Gangs to open but Sachin didn't want to open and the Indian Commentary Team is dominated by Mumbaikars who blindly supported.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ganguly dropped himself down the order in the period you are stating because Tendulkar preferred opening. Dropping Sehwag down the order was inconceivable at that stage and it was to be one between Tendulkar and Ganguly who would get to open.

I remember an episode of a cricket magazine show on ESPN where Ganguly and Tendulkar both appeared and were joking around with each other. That they could joke and talk about such things so openly showed how strong the team was at that stage. Usually, if there is a difference of opinion on such issues, they are kept under the carpet and players are not comfortable talking about them because egoes clash.

There was a period when Ganguly was called a selfish captain a year or so ago. They would do well to get hold of that footage.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

So, I am a Ganguly hater now ? And what are you a Ganguly fanatic ? With a name like dass, It doesn't take much time to figure that out.

And you are right Ganguly was dropped for 2 years. :unsure:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sanz has been one of the more vocal supporters of Ganguly. If anything I've been the anti-Ganguly voice on the forum :p.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
nothing personal but i hate every one of those ganguly haters! just because lara sachin and ganguly is my favorite batsmans but it was so gay how he got out on 98 man.....2 runs.....but to the haters it doesnt matter much if its a flat track...you still have to perfom its not like he never played in flat tracks before he got dropped.!..he just couldn't perform than...and IMO he was dropped more because of the chapell ganguly thing rather than his form...he probably would have stayed longer like sehwag before getting dropped

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
nothing personal but i hate every one of those ganguly haters! just because lara sachin and ganguly is my favorite batsmans but it was so gay how he got out on 98 man.....2 runs.....but to the haters it doesnt matter much if its a flat track...you still have to perfom its not like he never played in flat tracks before he got dropped.!..he just couldn't perform than...and IMO he was dropped more because of the chapell ganguly thing rather than his form...he probably would have stayed longer like sehwag before getting dropped
Did you notice the contradiction in your post ?