Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why did Ganguly giveup his ODI opening slot ?

Banned

why did Ganguly giveup his ODI opening slot ?

i was wondering why did he drop himself down the order back in 2003 ? I think this was one of the reasons his form got effected and thus was eventually dropped in 2005, his record as an opener is so good, May be he would have not faced the humilation of being dropped if he would have continued as an opener. But oh well he is back with a bang as an a opener !!!

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I'm not sure it was totally his decision, but it had something, surely, to do with Tendulkar's (IMO rather short-sighted) desire to open, and the fact that Sehwag opening at that time was a must...

But I too rather wish he'd just remained opening. IMO one of the best ODI openers ever and if he can script a final chapter at WC2007 that'd be pretty awesome. Ideally in partnership with Robin Uthappa, why India's selectors seem so reluctant to give him a run is an utter mystery to me.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

One could argue that Gambhir deserves a run just as much as Uthappa. Really, Sehwag should've been dropped a while back and these two should've been tried and tested by now.

Sehwag will eventually be a middle order ODI batsman IMO, particularly when Sachin and Dravid are gone.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by dass View Post
    i was wondering why did he drop himself down the order back in 2003 ? I think this was one of the reasons his form got effected and thus was eventually dropped in 2005, his record as an opener is so good, May be he would have not faced the humilation of being dropped if he would have continued as an opener. But oh well he is back with a bang as an a opener !!!
    So it is a humiliation to get dropped from the team ? He wasn't playing well and he should have been dropped, no ? ? And 98 on a flat pitch doesn't mean much, let him perform consistently to say 'He is back' and yada yada yada. No sorry, he is not back yet, I would rather wait for at least next 14 matches, if he does well, then yes he is back, otherwise no he isn't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    So it is a humiliation to get dropped from the team ? He wasn't playing well and he should have been dropped, no ? ? And 98 on a flat pitch doesn't mean much, let him perform consistently to say 'He is back' and yada yada yada. No sorry, he is not back yet, I would rather wait for at least next 14 matches, if he does well, then yes he is back, otherwise no he isn't.
    i can see that you are one of those Ganguly haters

Brian Lara is correct Ganguly should have not been dropped in the first place. yes his form was bad, but if you look at his stats during that time he only played bad in like 6 or 7 games and because of that he was dropped for like almost 2 years ?

Quote Originally Posted by dass View Post
    i can see that you are one of those Ganguly haters

Brian Lara is correct Ganguly should have not been dropped in the first place. yes his form was bad, but if you look at his stats during that time he only played bad in like 6 or 7 games and because of that he was dropped for like almost 2 years ?
    Please don't act like the Indian media. I'm a "Ganguly lover" and I'll tell you he should've been dropped.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by adharcric View Post
    Please don't act like the Indian media. I'm a "Ganguly lover" and I'll tell you he should've been dropped.

but for 2 years common

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    But if he was struggling in Indian Domestic Cricket at that time, he obviously wasn't ready to come back to international cricket.

I have to admit though India look alot more formidable with an inform Ganguly at 2 and Tendulkar at 3

15 months. 12 months in a year. You do the math ...

He didn't do anything to indicate a return to form for the first year or so. He was called up at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by Complicated View Post
    But if he was struggling in Indian Domestic Cricket at that time, he obviously wasn't ready to come back to international cricket.

I have to admit though India look alot more formidable with an inform Ganguly at 2 and Tendulkar at 3
    India "look" formidable to some with Sehwag and Tendulkar opening. Really, that doesn't mean anything unless the two of them are actually performing. Sehwag should have been dropped from the one-day side ages ago. In fact, I don't want him in the World Cup team even if he scores runs for Delhi in the Ranji OD tournament. He's far too unreliable and unproductive. Gambhir and Uthappa are equally explosive and infinitely more dependable. The number of so-called "experts" in India who want Sehwag in the side astounds me.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Is Uthappa likely to get a chance before the WC though?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I'm not sure it was totally his decision, but it had something, surely, to do with Tendulkar's (IMO rather short-sighted) desire to open, and the fact that Sehwag opening at that time was a must...

Spot on Rich. Infact i wanted Sachin to bat at 4 & Sehwag and Gangs to open but Sachin didn't want to open and the Indian Commentary Team is dominated by Mumbaikars who blindly supported.

Quote Originally Posted by Complicated View Post
    Is Uthappa likely to get a chance before the WC though?
    Provided Gambhir continues to score runs consistently, nope.

Ganguly dropped himself down the order in the period you are stating because Tendulkar preferred opening. Dropping Sehwag down the order was inconceivable at that stage and it was to be one between Tendulkar and Ganguly who would get to open.

I remember an episode of a cricket magazine show on ESPN where Ganguly and Tendulkar both appeared and were joking around with each other. That they could joke and talk about such things so openly showed how strong the team was at that stage. Usually, if there is a difference of opinion on such issues, they are kept under the carpet and players are not comfortable talking about them because egoes clash.

There was a period when Ganguly was called a selfish captain a year or so ago. They would do well to get hold of that footage.
    Last edited by Pratters; 22-01-2007 at 02:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information