• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Makhaya Ntini appreciation thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He's the best bloke, was always a fan of his but when I spoke to him and saw how he treated cricket fans when he came here for the Super Series, he became one of my favourite players. He was so excited to be part of the World XI squad (unlike others), he just appreciated the chance.

And then after that he really started to get people's attention the way he bowled against Australia in Australia, and really snuck up on people in terms of his test bowling record. He's also one of the fittest cricketers around, if not the fittest, so he's got plenty of time left barring injuries.

Ntini's a champ, simple as that.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
My favourite memory was the reception he got from everybody when he came to field in front of the band at St.Georges park. The band were playing "Stand by me" and he joined in. He's everyones hero, regardless of age or creed and he makes me proud to call Port Elizabeth my home.. (Although stricltly speaking he's from King Williams Town :D)

Another peaceful afternoon at Taunton when he woke the fuddy duddies up who were watching the touring South Afrcians.. He climbed onto a television camera platform right high above the pavilion and began shouting in Xhosa like a man posessed. The mans voice pierced everywhere on the ground. I think the game was meandering towards a draw and he livened everyones day up. I don't think any cricketer has the ability to enthrall like he does without a bat or ball in their hands

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Always admired him, though I've never spoken to him (how did you get that chance Jono?).

I love the fact that he strives to be as fit as possible for his country, which IMO is too often ignored by certain players in other countries. When I watch him, I can tell he has pride in playing for his country, which is great to see. It's hard to not root for someone like that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Always admired him, though I've never spoken to him (how did you get that chance Jono?).
When he was down here for the Super Series. There was an exhibition Victoria vs. World XI match, and he was signing signatures and stuff.

The best thing I've ever seen him do was at the Super Series matches at the Telstra Dome in Melbourne. I went to all 3 games (:dry:) and there's this spot where the players who aren't playing for the World XI sit, its separated by glass from the fans who are real close. Ntini sat right near the glass where one fan's seat was, and just had a 20 minute conversation with him. Was awesome to see.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Great player. Wish he was a New Zealander, quite simply.

Bond and Ntini. That'd be a great partnership :cool:

Congrats to the man on 300 as well. have always enjoyed watching him bowl and I hope he goes on to 400+

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Great player. Wish he was a New Zealander, quite simply.

Bond and Ntini. That'd be a great partnership :cool:

Congrats to the man on 300 as well. have always enjoyed watching him bowl and I hope he goes on to 400+
You mean Ntini + whoever is Bond's replacement because he's hurt? :p

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The best fast bowler in the world right now, for mine. And if anyone wants to argue with that, be my guest. But you'll have a heck of a hard time doing so with any firm grounding. Statistically only McGrath has averaged less than Ntini since 2005 and no one has taken more wickets per match. He's taken 100 wickets in his last 19 matches! Incredible in this day and age. He's also taken 10 5-fors and 3 10-fors in his last 23 games. That's blinding.

Putting stats aside, Ntini has just been consistently superb for South Africa. In a bowling attack with a wandering Pollock, a sometime-ish Nel and an even more sometime-ish Steyn, Ntini has been the rock. A fine bowler and with his fitness levels at the age of 29, who knows where he'll end up.

Slifer

International Captain
Good good bowler but does need to do some thing about his away record where he averages around 38. Needs to get it to atleast belowe 30 for my liking

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Dead set legend. Another one of my favourites, I always like to see Ntini do well.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah he's one of those bowlers where when you're watching as a neutral you are wanting him to do really well, and when he's running through your team, you're disappointed but saying "Well, if it has to be anyone, let it be Makhaya :D"

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
My thoughts exactly.

One of the few SA cricketers I'm actually a fan of, along with Prince.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Definitely the best seamer in the post-McGrath world. Not quite an all-time great, but certainly he's had a very impressive and extended peak now, and deserves his 300. Was saying to SS last night that I think he'd have been a greater bowler if he didn't have to lead the attack. His main weakness is obviously that he can be a bit one dimensional, which would matter a lot less if he had support. Some bowlers are the other way around obviously, but Ntini would be amazing with McGrath and Gillespie, say.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Definitely the best seamer in the post-McGrath world. Not quite an all-time great, but certainly he's had a very impressive and extended peak now, and deserves his 300. Was saying to SS last night that I think he'd have been a greater bowler if he didn't have to lead the attack. His main weakness is obviously that he can be a bit one dimensional, which would matter a lot less if he had support. Some bowlers are the other way around obviously, but Ntini would be amazing with McGrath and Gillespie, say.
Yeah true, had Ntini been around as he is now with Pollock and Donald like mid-90s it'd be interesting how he would go.

Steulen

International Regular
How can he not be a favourite?

Able to rattle the helmets of the best while discussing the merits of standing with your feet in fresh cow dung. A very deserved 300, a very deserved spot as one of the world's finest fast bowlers too. Here's too him bowling the Pakistani's to a shock defeat at PE tomorrow.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with many sentiments here about him.

- Certainly best fast bowler in the world at the moment
- The fittest cricketer alive
- A real personality

but all this stuff about him being a great man is a little funny to me. He may be, but he is also a convicted rapist with the verdict overturned with a shadowy appeal. He was found guilty originally.

He could be a really nice guy but I dont know him personally and I cant in good conscience praise the character of a stranger with such a chequered past.

Last edited: