• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help, When was the last time...

Laurrz

International Debutant
Australia got tonked for over 300 with McGrath playing? just a random question that i want to know! lol

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
That's a pretty ridiculous statistic, if so.

I wonder how many times Aus has gone for 300 in the meantime when McGrath wasn't playing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
When was the last time anyone was carved for 300 with any absolute-top-echleon bowler playing?

It only happens exceptionally rarely.

Sadly, where's the next McGrath\Pollock coming from? Stuart Clark clearly isn't, for whatever reason, in the same class in ODIs as he is in Tests.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
When was the last time anyone was carved for 300 with any absolute-top-echleon bowler playing?

It only happens exceptionally rarely.

Sadly, where's the next McGrath\Pollock coming from? Stuart Clark clearly isn't, for whatever reason, in the same class in ODIs as he is in Tests.
Asif?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's probably the best bet but, well... even at his best he still seems to go for a few more than Pollock and McGrath. Where he's special is his wicket-taking ability, not his ability to go for very few runs.

Craig

World Traveller
Well I'm sorry but it is his responsibility to know what he takes and he tested positive in his A and B samples.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Did you read Kamran Abbasi's blog on the subject?

Was interesting to hear the view of someone who's worked in close proximity with said chemical companies and did influence my view on the matter somewhat.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Moving away from the topic that's been beaten to death, I don't think Asif is quite that good of an ODI bowler as McGrath/Pollock. He always wants to attack no matter what the situation, which is why his average and ER is so much worse than it should be. He bowls well, but it almost seems like he's always stuck in test match mode.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Moving away from the topic that's been beaten to death, I don't think Asif is quite that good of an ODI bowler as McGrath/Pollock. He always wants to attack no matter what the situation, which is why his average and ER is so much worse than it should be. He bowls well, but it almost seems like he's always stuck in test match mode.
I see your point but he's only new on the scene and still fairly young IIRC. His mental application and patience needs fine tuning, but the basic attributes of accuracy, bounce and consistency that Pollock and McGrath are so famous for are also evident in Asif.

If someone told him that they wanted him to bowl a ten over spell for the least amount of runs managable, and that it didn't matter how many wickets he took, I think he would end up with McGrath-esque returns on a consistent basis.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I see your point but he's only new on the scene and still fairly young IIRC. His mental application and patience needs fine tuning, but the basic attributes of accuracy, bounce and consistency that Pollock and McGrath are so famous for are also evident in Asif.

If someone told him that they wanted him to bowl a ten over spell for the least amount of runs managable, and that it didn't matter how many wickets he took, I think he would end up with McGrath-esque returns on a consistent basis.
Good point. His age is almost certainly is a big factor. I guess he'll get less aggressive as he matures a bit more (he's 24 btw). He's certainly capable of taking wickets, its just when he starts getting hit for runs is when he seems to lose the plot in ODIs.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Did you read Kamran Abbasi's blog on the subject?

Was interesting to hear the view of someone who's worked in close proximity with said chemical companies and did influence my view on the matter somewhat.
I missed that article - would you have a link to it mate? Would be an interesting read...

Though Abbasi *did* lose a good deal of credibility in my eyes with his "Qadir was better than Warne" effort a couple of weeks ago!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, yeah, I found that one a trifle bizarre, but I did like this piece a lot. I generally find Kamran a fascinating writer, in that he seems to have in common with many Pakistanis the genuine relish of his national side's up-and-down nature.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks - an interesting read.

Actually agree about Kamran, I think he's one of the more interesting bloggers going around and I enjoy his writing. I guess that's what made his Warne-Qadir piece so baffling, because I didn't expect something so biased and gratuitously sensationalist from him.