• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg blewitt where will he go.

brockley

International Captain
Most the states said they not interested,NSW haven't said anything yet but highly doubt it.
His best option maybe be nz or south africa he says he wants to play another 2 years heavens' above.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Greg Blewett remains hopeful he can play first-class cricket for two more years despite several states indicating they have no interest in signing him up. Blewett, 35, who is contracted to South Australia until the end of 2007-08, was dropped from the side due to poor form in his three one-day matches this season having lost his place in the Pura Cup team in 2005-06.

Blewett was disappointed not to be recalled after injuries hit the South Australia top order and kept Darren Lehmann, the captain, and Cameron Borgas, the No. 3, out of action. He said South Australia's agreement to pay out the remainder of his $270,000 three-year deal should make him an attractive option to the other states.

"I would quite like to play on as I wouldn't like to finish on these sort of terms," he told Adelaide's Advertiser newspaper. "If I sign on for someone else, I will get paid whatever I can negotiate for that state which I think will help me in terms of my bargaining power. I think I'm in a pretty strong position."

But Blewett, who wants to play in the eastern states, said it was unlikely he could step into the shoes of the newly-retired Michael Bevan at Tasmania. "I am not sure I would fit into a team like Tassie which has gone down a development path," Blewett said.

The paper reported that Victoria and Queensland were not interested in adding Blewett to their squads, leaving New South Wales as his main option. Graham Dixon, the Queensland Cricket chief executive, said his state preferred to use local players. "We haven't spoken to Greg and don't intend to at this stage. Without closing the door he isn't part of the plans," Dixon said.

Cricket Victoria said Blewett had been considered but they were looking instead at younger batsmen. South Australia, who are on the bottom of the Pura Cup and FR Cup tables, replaced Lehmann and Borgas in the limited-overs team with newer players such as Ken Skewes and Ben Cameron.

© Cricinfo
yep

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Let him come to New Zealand, we may actually have a classy batsman playing in our domestic competitions

Perm

True, but I've never actually seen him live so I can't comment on how classy he is, but he's definately doing the job and should be in the Black Caps.

brockley

International Captain
NZ would be a good call for him.
As a new south welshman i would rather scott meulman,or some of their other batsmen.
Like to see brad drew or damien wright come back to NSW.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
True, but I've never actually seen him live so I can't comment on how classy he is, but he's definately doing the job and should be in the Black Caps.
By all accounts he appears to be the definition of "classy".

Shame Peter Fulton hasn't been given an extended Test run in the middle-order...

Perm

Wait till Fleming, Astle and Styris retire after the next World Cup. Hopefully then we can see a top order of ;

Cumming
How
Sinclair
Taylor
Ryder
Fulton

Keep in mind Sinclair and Cumming could retire before them, leaving another couple of gaps.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Let him come to New Zealand, we may actually have a classy batsman playing in our domestic competitions
I doubt he would be intersted would he?. Lets face it. Domestic cricketers here get paid hardly anything and he would play for a rough group of bits and pieces cricketers in some farmers sheep paddock.

Might be nice though if they offered him some sort of "Play for a few years and then slowly change into some sort of coaching role, (if he wants to do that). I imagine it would be much easier starting a coaching career in NZ and getiing a bit of experience rather than in AUs. Less competition.

brockley

International Captain
Would be a good move for blewitt maybe he can become a captain coach to one of the teams in NZ next year.
Good move for anthony stuart he was only the bowling coach here.
Blewitt would bring in with him heaps of experience if he went and played in NZ.
Fact is domestic cricket here is tough,if you are no longer on top of your game you get sacked,look at collin miller and jamie cox how their careers fizzled.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Wasn't much better than the swivel pull he played, off balls that really shouldn't be pulled. And when he took that massive step and drove on the up through cover, like he did for fun vs South Africa in his 214.

ash chaulk

International Captain
G Blewitt Bowled Cuffy 99

just after they showed his wife. and at his home ground.

always remember that

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
He will probably go to England, but remember that the NZ season is short and exactly opposite so if he plays in England that doesnt rule him out for playing or coaching in NZ. The NZ season only starts in late November and finishes around mid March.