• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Walk or shut up

archie mac

International Coach
It's not like Warne did not like the decision and walked off the field as a protest, and failed to come back onto the field. If he over appeals then he can be fined

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Walking is such a fascinating subject because those who sit in the "the Umpire is there to do a job and I'm not going to walk" are INVARIABLY hypocrites, and there's always one way or another that someone (eg Mikey Holding in a not-so-recent Sky discussion) manages to dredge-up an example of such.

Increasingly, I genuinely hope for a cricket future where a patently incorrect decision is a thing of the past, then maybe cricketers will give-up on refusing to walk realising they're never going to get away with anything.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I always walk, always. For that reason, I get very angry with opposing players when they don't do the same.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And quite justifiably, too.

Just because some are willing to push the Spirit to the extreme, doesn't mean they should be allowed to get away with it.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
to the people who dont walk and want "as much run as possible" well then atleast dont complain when the decisions goes against you later. this is the kind of things that makes it tougher for the umpires...either listen to the umpire always and never show displeasure or anything about any decisions or always do the right thing and walk etc then you have the right to get mad at wrong decisions

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I've never got a bad decision as of yet, nor have I ever been given out when I wasn't, however I have shouldered arms to a ball (incidentally was a hat-trick ball) which cut back a mile and skimmed the top of the bails, but they didn't fall off. :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
^^^Ditto (to the first bit, not the hattrick bit), I'm simply not a good enough batsman to be involved in any luck-related stuff (though I have been dropped once or twice).

open365

International Vice-Captain
I have to walk otherwise i'll get shouted at by this old guy who runs most of the teams i play in.

Slow Love™

International Captain
I've never got a bad decision as of yet, nor have I ever been given out when I wasn't, however I have shouldered arms to a ball (incidentally was a hat-trick ball) which cut back a mile and skimmed the top of the bails, but they didn't fall off. :D
HJC, how have you managed that? When I was playing competitively (at school and juniors) the standard of the umpiring was so poor that if you got rapped on the pads at all, you might as well just take your gloves off and start walking.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Slow Love™;1047772 said:
HJC, how have you managed that? When I was playing competitively (at school and juniors) the standard of the umpiring was so poor that if you got rapped on the pads at all, you might as well just take your gloves off and start walking.
Hate to use a cliche but "its hard to get a bad decision when your stumps are are sprayed all across the floor."

I've developed a technical error over the break I've had from cricket due to a break from cricket because of a finger injury, exams and holidays whereby I've got a complete lack of feet movement early on in the innings and recently cannot buy a run, leaving a nice juicy gate for any bowler with accuracy. Last two innings have been bowled for 1, and bowled for 4 (even though it was at the death). In the nets there's no issue, but out in the middle I've cracked in the last month or so.

Regarding LBWs and caught behinds etc., most of the time at my level we umpire our own games (as in two people of the batting team umpire their innings), however on the odd occasion I have had an umpire they haven't screwed me over yet.