• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Walk or shut up

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mike Hussey is not a walker...

Mike Hussey said:
"I'm not a walker, unlike 'Gilly", who walks when he nicks," Hussey said. "I take the good decisions with the bad. I just leave it up to the umpires to make the decision."

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So far as I've seen, since the incident (in WC2003 when he walked for the 1st time) he's been a completely dignified, honest walker. Doesn't surprise me, TBH - he's always struck me as a thoroughly principled guy who believes 100% in honesty. A gentlemanly sort of destroyer, bit like Garfield Sobers. And once he realised that not walking was dishonest, he seems to have thrown himself fully into the idea.

What interests me is that Hayden always used to be a full-blown non-walker... yet he walked for something at the start of this series!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mike Hussey is not a walker...
We noticed... 8-)

Wonder what his reaction might be next time he cops a rough-'un... I'd bet the toys will go out of the pram... wonder what might happen if that rough-'un happens to cost Australia a World Cup semis place...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mike Hussey strikes me as the sort who'd go OTT about just about anything related to cricket... he's just too... focussed... it'll be a long time before I'll forget that reaction to hitting a six in a dead game where Australia were already cruising to an unassailable total... sure, it probably contributes to him having done as well as he has to date, but equally I can see how it might make him feel that everything should always go his way (which, to date, it almost exclusively has). His celebrations following the (ultimately fruitless) wicket of Smith in that ODI were another example... never has the name Mr Cricket been more appropriate.

I can imagine him (and the rest of the team, BTW) being apoplectic say he were to be given caught behind when it flicked his pad in the win-or-bust final Super Eight game and that resulting in Australia losing by 4 runs... and can only imagine his reaction if someone repeated that quote to him shortly after...

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
to the people who dont walk and want "as much run as possible" well then atleast dont complain when the decisions goes against you later. this is the kind of things that makes it tougher for the umpires...either listen to the umpire always and never show displeasure or anything about any decisions or always do the right thing and walk etc then you have the right to get mad at wrong decisions
I still disagree with that.

I've had my fair share of shockers against me, just like I have had a fair few in my favour.

You can show displeasure at decisions when you are bowling, whether you walk or not. I just don't feel guilty at all when I get a decision in my favour, it doesn't bother me.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
We noticed... 8-)

Wonder what his reaction might be next time he cops a rough-'un... I'd bet the toys will go out of the pram... wonder what might happen if that rough-'un happens to cost Australia a World Cup semis place...
That's crap.

We have seen no evidence to suggest him doing that. He has not once lost his temper when being dismissed, nor showed dissent.

Yes, he had an attitude problem when he was younger, but by all reports he is one of the best blokes in the side and you can see he is a well liked person among the players. I just don't see him having a fit when he cops a bad decision.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm pretty sure he means that Hussey is too good to give a chance to be out to a bad decision, because he'd deal with the ball before giving the umpire the chance to fire him.

ripper868

International Coach
I recall Gilchrist walking in a game where he in fact wasnt out, there was a noise, keeper and bowler appealed and gilly walked before the umpire could get his hand from behind his back, replays showed he had missed the ball by about an inch.

Fiery

Banned
I recall Gilchrist walking in a game where he in fact wasnt out, there was a noise, keeper and bowler appealed and gilly walked before the umpire could get his hand from behind his back, replays showed he had missed the ball by about an inch.
:laugh: Doh!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How dare he enjoy himself. This game is all about statistics, not humans.
Err, where the blazes does "enoying yourself" come into what I said?

What I was talking about was going completely OTT about getting pumped-up and aggressive.

Anyway, I thought I was on your ignore-list? Don't stop now, it's doing you so much good...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's crap.

We have seen no evidence to suggest him doing that. He has not once lost his temper when being dismissed, nor showed dissent.

Yes, he had an attitude problem when he was younger, but by all reports he is one of the best blokes in the side and you can see he is a well liked person among the players. I just don't see him having a fit when he cops a bad decision.
So how often has he had the chance to lose his temper in international cricket? How many times has he been sawn-off unfairly?

About the most unfair thing I can think of that happened to him was hitting the roof with that skied slog, and he wasn't exactly pleased about that and did make just a bit of a song-and-dance about it.