• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Geraint Jones moves on

McKanga

School Boy/Girl Captain
Per this article it seems Geraint Jones will now divide his time between Beenleigh-Logan (a Brisbane grade cricket side) and Kent (an English county team).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
From that article, and another one I read somewhere else, he'll just be playing this season for them. Good idea really - if you're already over here, why not?

McKanga

School Boy/Girl Captain
....if you're already over here, why not?
It's more the 'What nationality are you really?' thing.
Wikipedia's entry says ".......Jones moved to Australia with his parents, who were originally from Wales, soon after he was born. He grew up in Toowoomba, Queensland and lived in Australia until he was 22........ '.
Playing grade cricket in QLD isn't a career promoting thing for an English player it's just a lifestyle choice, a declaration of where he really considers home.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Playing grade cricket in QLD isn't a career promoting thing for an English player it's just a lifestyle choice, a declaration of where he really considers home.
How is it not beneficial to a career to play cricket in Australia? You're being presumptuous.

McKanga

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
How is it not beneficial to a career to play cricket in Australia? You're being presumptuous.
Huh? I'm Australian. I live about 300m from our local club (West Torrens). My point is that grade cricket is the path to selection on your state squad for Australians. That is the equivalent to County Cricket in England.
Geraint Jones is like Andrew Symonds in that he was born in England but lived here most of his life and learnt to play in the Australian structure. Once Jones renounced his upbringing and left for England he forewent any benefit from playing grade cricket here. It is a tier down from where he need to be if he ever hopes to regain a spot in his chosen national team.

McKanga

School Boy/Girl Captain
Guy is just looking for a game - doesnt seem to sinister to me.
I'm obviously giving the wrong impression in what I say.
My presumption is he would try to lift himself in skills and profile to eventually rejoin his selected national team. My analysis is that he has given up that hope and reverted to being an Aussie of British descent. He is playing social cricket in the state he grew up in and having an annual stint in England for the dosh.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
So if an Australian with an English background went to play league cricket in England, does that mean he wants to play England.

Just looking for a game and help Logan win the championship, doesn't mean he wants to play for QLD or Australia

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
What about all the state players who head over and play club cricket in England every year? Harwood, Wise, Cosgrove to name but a few, over the past 2/3 seasons.

And District cricket is hardly "social cricket" in the slightest.

McKanga

School Boy/Girl Captain
Playing English County Cricket is career promoting.
Explain to me where playing grade cricket in Australia helps anyone without Australian prospects.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Explain to me where playing grade cricket in Australia helps anyone without Australian prospects.
He's playing cricket against Australian prospects. Hence he's playing cricket against quality cricketers. Hence he's improving his game. How is this not blatantly obvious?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Harwood wasn't even playing grade cricket in England two years ago. Wise was playing grade cricket this season, and broke down overseas. As did Grant Lambert. Cosgrove was playing club cricket when he first came back with all that weight stacked on.

None of them were playing county cricket at that time.

Also, explain that statement to Paul Collingwood, who credits winning that Ryder Medal for Richmond in Melbourne Grade Cricket as a turning point of his career. Interestingly, Collingwood, Solanki and Dalrymple have all come out to Melbourne on the Crusaders scholarship, and have since found themselves playing for England.

McKanga

School Boy/Girl Captain
He's playing cricket against Australian prospects. Hence he's playing cricket against quality cricketers. Hence he's improving his game. How is this not blatantly obvious?
Much as I love the idea that simply playing cricket anywhere, anyhow in Australia makes you better than playing top level English cricket it just ain't so. Grade cricket is not the top tier in Australia, or anywhere.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well I hardly think Queensland are going to snap him up for a few Pura Cup games just so he can play at the top tier.

McKanga

School Boy/Girl Captain
vic_orthdox said:
Harwood wasn't even playing grade cricket in England two years ago. Wise was playing grade cricket this season, and broke down overseas. As did Grant Lambert.......
I'm not sure what this all means.

vic_orthdox said:
.....Cosgrove was playing club cricket when he first came back with all that weight stacked on.....
Do you mean County cricket? For Glamorgan? Shane Warne was saying in his recent interview with Michael Parkinson that he put on about 20k in his first stint on the County circuit. Regardless of that it is still the highest tier of English cricket, bar national selection. If grade cricket in Australia is on a par the English might as well give the game away.

vic_orthdox said:
.....Also, explain that statement to Paul Collingwood, who credits winning that Ryder Medal for Richmond in Melbourne Grade Cricket as a turning point of his career. Interestingly, Collingwood, Solanki and Dalrymple have all come out to Melbourne on the Crusaders scholarship, and have since found themselves playing for England.
So what? It was a step upward in their cricket careers. It is when they go back there that there is a problem. It is a regression for an English player whose home is on the other side of the world, a sign that their careers are failing.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
McKanga said:
Do you mean County cricket? For Glamorgan?
No, he played a year of club cricket over there the year before he started playing for Glamorgan. It was when he returned home from that trip that he was suspended for being too fat.

Craig

World Traveller
OTT, but Beenleigh & Logan, a perfect place for Hingston, so full of bogans (or chavs for you English).

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I'm obviously giving the wrong impression in what I say.
My presumption is he would try to lift himself in skills and profile to eventually rejoin his selected national team. My analysis is that he has given up that hope and reverted to being an Aussie of British descent. He is playing social cricket in the state he grew up in and having an annual stint in England for the dosh.
Ridiculous claim. The idea that any committed cricketer would give up hope of ever representing his country again after being dropped at the age of 29 is ridiculous enough as it is, but the idea that he went back to Australia because he no longer considers himself English is just plain stupid.

Jeez, CW really is getting dire these days. 8-)