• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player Mail

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pace, accuracy, conventional swing, reverse swing, a decent slower ball.

Shane Bond has the tools. I don't see why - when he's right - he wouldn't be a potent bowler in almost all conditions. There's not much else a bowler can do to the ball with the laws of the game.
All the tools, but nonetheless to date Shoaib has achieved more with those tools.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, principally, yes (and it's quite possible to argue that the reasons for Bond's success are interwoven with the reasons for his injury-prone nature) but nonetheless Shoaib has achieved more than Bond has. IMO, to date, that makes him the better bowler.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But that was never the issue. The issue was that a fit Bond > a fit Shoaib. Shoaib has only achieved more, in my mind, because he's been fit more often.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And in my mind, we'll only find that out once Bond gets fit more often any plays more often. Because right now it's pretty inconclusive that he has the skills Shoaib has demonstrated several times.

I wonder - is it coincidence that the one time Bond has got the figures on flat pitches was in the Caribbean...?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well let's think about this logically.

Bond has only ever played on flat pitches in Sri Lanka, outside of the West Indies and Bangladesh and that was just one series. In that series Bond was returning from injury. You can hardly use that as evidence against him. Surely not.

And regarding his performance in the West Indies, it was against a decent batting lineup. An in-form Gayle, Sarwan, Lara, Hooper, Chanderpaul, Jacobs. That's one of the most potent lineups the West Indies has had in years.

Furthermore, Bond has already proven that he has the skills required. Because practically everytime he's been fit, he's performed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not using the Sri Lanka series as evidence against him, just saying that he did not get good figures there (nor, for that matter, in his maiden series). Therefore the only time he's done well on pitches that weren't tailor-made for seam was in that single series in West Indies (and not once did I say it wasn't a good batting-line-up). Whereas Shoaib has done it several times.

Therefore, to my mind, Shoaib is to date the better bowler, and Bond has a bit to do to prove himself at that level. It only takes one series, really.