• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the teesra?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Now that I think on, noone has mentioned the possibility of backspin. Perhaps the idea is that the ball pitches in front of middle, then the backspin causes it to head towards the non-strikers' end and trap the non-striker lbw? (all sorts of technicalities here, but still....you never know....)
Now try bowling that.

It's all but impossible.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"Protected species"? Don't know what you're on about there. Just apologise for offending him and you won't offend anyone else, it's not rocket science.
Protected species in that you're not allowed to say anything considered blasphemous by the Bible. Same way you're not allowed to say ess aitche iy tee and the like.

OK - Sean, I'm very sorry if I offended you, I did not realise you were a Christian who'd take offence in the use of your Lord's name in vain.

I just have to work hard sometimes to be tolerable of Christianity when it seems so many of it's values are based on a World of 2000 years ago...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, can't believe anyone thinks that the flipper and the topspinner are the same.
So what sort of spin is used on a Flipper, then?

Is a Flipper not so named because it flips up at the batsman? And would flipping up not require topspin to be imparted?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
A flipper is closer in terms of the idea behind it to an arm-ball than a top-spinner, is it not? Bowled by pushing the ball out between two fingers rather than imparting top-spin on it. Basically it will be quicker and flatter, and is usually bowled short of a length to attempt to fool the batsman into thinking it's a long hop. I don't get what you mean by it "flips up" at a batsman. It skids on.

The most famous Warne example would be the third delivery in this clip, at 1:53.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Where, exactly, does the term "Flipper" originate from, then?

Surely Clarrie Grimmett was extensively asked about the thing?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
A chopped backhand?
He should mean a slice backhand. The "flip" part refers to how it comes out of the hand, I assume.

It is all backspin, people. You squeeze the ball out, as though you're trying to click your fingers but there's a ball in the way, which you force out in doing so.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The thumb should end up in front of your palm - almost as though you're giving a horizontal "thumbs up", and the index and middle finger run backwards off the ball, imparting a heap of backspin on it. That's why it seems to gain pace when it hits the pitch - there's so much backspin on it that it skids through really quick.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
OK... I now see the essential physics of the thing... but I'm at a loss to find how to impart any significant spin on the ball with a single digit.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Yeah, the flipper is easily the hardest of the variations for the legspinner. I've basically given up on ever trying to bowl that with any level of competency. Basically, my point throughout has been that one can make the ball do things beside go left, right, or straight. One can make the ball go higher or lower than it normally would by imparting top or backspin. And it doesn't take a genius to see how that could be used to beat batsmen.

Obviously, this can only be appreciably implemented by spinners. For fast bowlers, I can't think of any way that one could vary the bounce that the ball naturally gets except by bowling faster or slower or from a different height, but all of these can be easily picked up by a batsman.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
^^^Don't worry, you have that in common with everyone who's ever picked-up a cricket-ball...

DCC_legend

International Regular
me and my m8 were thinkin about this in school 1day. we think it mite be the ball where it spins one way and turns another. a bit like when you throw a ball thats spinning backwards onto the ground and it goes forwards a bit but then comes back!!
maybe thats his crazy invention, although it amy be very hard to get the cricket ball to do this sort of thing!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Probably going to be like Warne's mystery ball. Somewhat a myth to try and get batsmen thinking stuff that they shouldn't.

Craig

World Traveller
And I here I was thinking that the ball would be given plenty of flight and as the batsman was thinking he has a free hit that ball would drop suddenly and hit the stumps and make him look quite the fool.