• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bad light, rain nonsense: Is cricket too precious?

nexxus

U19 Debutant
I'm not just mentioning it because it seems to have almost bitten SA in the butt a few times this season and it's a perennial issue for my beloved Natal Dolphins (who play at Kingsmead) but is Cricket being just a little bit precious about bad light and rain delays.

Looking at the cricinfo commentary, it says the light is good & the covers are off at 10.30. The umpires have decided to take a look at 10.45, and eventually decided play will resume at 11.15, a full 45 minutes later. This in my opinion is ludicrous, why haven't they made their call at 10.30, and why can't they start at 10.45 or when the groundstaff have finished readying the field?

Bad light is also something that has just taken on absurd proportions, it's coming to a stage where apparently umpires (and thus the 'elite' panel & the ICC) feel that cricket can only be played in bright sunshine without a cloud in the sky, oh no, wait, scratch that, I remember a farcical situation in NZ when the sun was shining brightly yet the players were off for bad light because a pylon shadow had brought the game to a grinding halt.

I was in Durban (not at the ground, but no more than a kilometer from) where Zaheer was poking his bat around after every ball and generally acting as if they were batting at midnight. I cannot believe that there was even the consideration that the light was bad, a little dull perhaps, but certainly not bad in any sense of the word. I'm not actually criticizing Zaheer here, he was just indulging in a little gamesmanship, I'm annoyed at the umpires for setting the light bar so low.

I think this is a very worrying trend and the ICC needs to instruct it's panel that they need to be far stricter & more efficient when it comes to light & rain delays.

Beleg

International Regular
I thought the players came off the field way too early at Kingsmead in the recent test. The mistake was made by the umpires on the first day, and from then on they had little chance of correcting that. (They couldn't in good concious let the play continue past the particular light reading on which they stopped play initially)

Batting teams tend to take advantage of this a lot. It's a dubious issue but I tend to agree with your last sentence.

howardj

International Coach
I agree 100% with Barry Richards, who is very strong on this - that is, cricket is way too precious when it comes to the issue of bad light.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
I think Steve Bucknor is actually quite bad here, it always seems he's incredibly eager to get off most times.

What's the law with regards to bad light, I thought it was if the batsmen (or players in general) were in some sort of danger then bad light should be offered, but in the SA/Ind series the light was murky at worst, nowhere near dangerous.

It's also a further swinging of the pendulum towards the batsmen, and I notice the most common times the light is offered is not if it actually becomes a factor, but if it changes quickly. Surely changing conditions is part of the game, we don't need to pander to batsmen any more than we already are.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
I agree 100% with Barry Richards, who is very strong on this - that is, cricket is way too precious when it comes to the issue of bad light.
Yep, players should only be going off the field if it is becoming dangerous, not just a little less then ideal to see the ball.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
OK, how's this?

You play a game until 450 overs (for a scheduled 5-dayer) or 400 (for a scheduled 4-dayer) are completed, and no amount of rain or bad light (or abysmal over-rates) can interefere with the possibility of a result.

Great idea, IMO... just a bit of trouble with the scheduling it would present.

ripper868

International Coach
the whole bad light thing is ludacris....some major problems with scheduling there rich my boy, say you get 3 days of rain, then a test goes for 8 days....you may get the result but 8 days mate....8 days.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They've only been designed to use with white-balls.

And TV companies don't like orange ones (which would presumably work) because they don't show-up on their black-and-white monitors and they're completely incapable of getting colour ones...

IMO the game of cricket would be infinately better if "bad light stopped play" was eliminated (at least at grounds with lights) and as far as I can tell all that requires is a change in the type of monitors used by TV producers...

howardj

International Coach
isnt this what the massive floodlights are meant to be used for?
or are they just there to look pretty?
The batsmen reckon the lights are no good with the red ball, as they give it a 'comet' effect. Fair dinkum, they're as soft as pillows some of these guys!

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Well yes they do go off for bad light too often (you should have heard the moans of RGD Willis when England were in SA two years ago) but at least cricket doesn't stop play when it gets too hot as they did at the Australian Open tennis today! What nonsense is that? They are highly paid athletes and should play in all conditions. I only mention this to show cricket isn't the only sport that can make an ass of itself sometimes..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So extreme physical exertion in conditions which are described as inappropriate for being outside is acceptible?

No, there are lines which must be drawn everywhere. Too hot is quite acceptible as one of them. Forcing athletes to play in overheated and over-humid conditions is disgraceful.

pasag

RTDAS
Well yes they do go off for bad light too often (you should have heard the moans of RGD Willis when England were in SA two years ago) but at least cricket doesn't stop play when it gets too hot as they did at the Australian Open tennis today! What nonsense is that? They are highly paid athletes and should play in all conditions. I only mention this to show cricket isn't the only sport that can make an ass of itself sometimes..
Dire.

The heat was so unbearable I nearly threw up walking to the car, now imagine that on court ffs. If players would have continued playing, lives would have been at risk, simple as that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And it's the casual attitude towards not realising how dangerous said heat is that allows ludicrous situations like cricket being played in 50deg-C heat and something-stupid humidity as it was in Pak-Aus in 2002\03.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Dire.

The heat was so unbearable I nearly threw up walking to the car, now imagine that on court ffs. If players would have continued playing, lives would have been at risk, simple as that.
Totally agree. I've been in Carcasonne when it was 44 degrees, and I literally couldn't do anything. I couldn't even imagine playing tennis. That OP is total ****.

Beleg

International Regular
44*C is about average temperature during summer from where I come. We used to play football at around three o clock - but we were kids and didn't really have the sense of entitlement some of these sportsmen have. :ph34r:

But in all fairness, I agree with Richard.