• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Chance Average?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I had a very good player once tell me that if you are going to swing, swing hard, because chances are that if the ball goes to hand, the fielder has a much higher chance of dropping it.

How does the FCA method account for the chances that a batsman forces a fielder to miss because of the extra power in his shots? How does this method even make sense?
Yeah I agree. If you're going to play a shot, play it bloody hard and make it more difficult just in case you do hit the edge or reach a fielder.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think we should use the FCA to measure the success of posters in CW, tbh.. :ph34r:
Haha.. If a post says "last edited by..." at the bottom, it shouldn't count, as there has been a mistake.

Like it, though I'd have about 800 posts I think.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'd guess no, because there are still dropped catches. :dry:
That's what I don't get about this theory, good fielding is as much a skill as good batting or bowling.

Saying you expect all catches to be taken is as stupid as saying you expect all batsmen to avoid offering catches in the first place.

Checkmate

School Boy/Girl Captain
It sort of makes sense if you judge a batsman's ability considering only his performance against the opposition bowling, rather than against the whole opposition team.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It helps if you are evaluating the batsman's skill level and being able to bat without giving chances of being dismissed by the opposition. But then, any close LBW shout etc need to taken into account as well.

TumTum

Banned
Chances and close calls are part of cricket. Although I am a firm believer that a batsman (or bowler) can make his luck work for him, in other words reducing his chances of getting out.

It is close to impossible to bat a flawless innings.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's just simply ridiculous
Not necessarily.. In terms of evaluating the particular inning, I think it has some value but only if you include all close calls there.. Otherwise, just for taking dropped catches into account, yeah it doesn't mean much.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Not necessarily.. In terms of evaluating the particular inning, I think it has some value but only if you include all close calls there.. Otherwise, just for taking dropped catches into account, yeah it doesn't mean much.
I'm completely against any facet of the FCA tbh

Blaze 18

Banned
The theory does appear to be intrinsically flawed, but the same is true for all theories based on numbers alone.