• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ICC is sending wrong signals by awarding the match to the hosts!

Choora

State Regular
! [/quote]

What, 3 matches in a row being halted, one abandoned and one almost abandoned?

OK there was one in England last year, but that wasn't home fans.

Tell us when all these happened then? [/quote]

Weather the culprits were home fans or not doesn't make any difference, the point is that the Cricket administration over there failed to control the crowd.And it happened in atleast two matches and not one!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Choora
!
What, 3 matches in a row being halted, one abandoned and one almost abandoned?

OK there was one in England last year, but that wasn't home fans.

Tell us when all these happened then? [/quote]

Weather the culprits were home fans or not doesn't make any difference, the point is that the Cricket administration over there failed to control the crowd.And it happened in atleast two matches and not one! [/quote]

They reacted and stopped it though. 3 games in a row is too many, and they're also completely different things.

Aso, only 1 match was stopped, the other was after the match finished.

Finally, there's a big difference between a mass pitch invasion at the end of the game, and throwing things at fielders - one is far more dangerous to the players than the other.

Choora

State Regular
[Finally, there's a big difference between a mass pitch invasion at the end of the game, and throwing things at fielders - one is far more dangerous to the players than the other.
Yeah thats correct, Micheal Bevan was lucky not to have been stuck by a beer can in England, Steven Waugh said later that had it hit Bevan, it would had caused some real damage!!

DirtySocks

Cricket Spectator
It's a conspiracy against India!

I think all those three onedayers were disrupted by certain elements who had the sole motive to degrade the Indians.I don't think the people who disrupted the match were Indians.I have pretty good idea who these people were & where were they from,from which country, but am not going to go into it much.

Imagine India were going great guns, Sehwag was blasting the WI bowlers, he might have even scored a double ton that day and India would have crushed the WI, who were benefitted from disrupting the match?? certainly not the Indians.

[Edited on 15/11/2002 by DirtySocks]

anzac

International Debutant
player's safety should not be the only decisive issue regarding crowd disruptions, particularly when there is a consistant (& persistant) pattern!!

Repeated distrubances could be looked upon as the ultimate form of sledging - never intending to cause physical harm to the players but certainly detrimental to their performance on the field - something like the old workforce rules regarding 'conditions of work' etc....

we have seen tours cancelled because of violence that had nothing to do with the tours, and we have seen nations banned re their internal politics - why shouldn't a strong stance be taken regarding the situation in India, or is that too much of a political 'hot potatoe' for the ICC????

the notion that this is nothing unusual & we should just get on with it is a cop out and a piss poor excuse for doing nothing...

I may be going out on a limb here and stirring up a hornets nest, but this sort of crap that occurs has been going on for too long - I am aware of crowd violence / disturbances in India 30 years ago and it is about time something was done to deter it - it does not matter if it only occurs every now and then or not!!!!!!

The governing bodies of other sports at both national and international levels have the gumption to take more affirmative action & so should the ICC & the national body of the home team!!!!

Shame on the ICC - they have got this wrong in more ways than 1, shame on the Indian governing body, shame on the 'terrace idiots', and shame on anyone who thinks this is 'normal' or should be tolerated!!!!!

India should be facing a situation where they have to forfeit the remainder of the Tour, with the points for the test matches awarded to WIndies. They should then be fined a % of the projected gate for the remainder of the matches with this being awarded to WIndies. If the national body does not put forward a suitable action plan to deter future incidents they should face having 'closed gate' home series or be banned from such competitions as the WC!!!!

These decisions need to be made without regard to the players or genuine supporters, as they need to demand their national body get's it right.

And just for the 'terrace element' - I would be advocating this action regardless of who the home nation involved was !!!!

:(!:(!:(!:(!

Bazza

International 12th Man
Originally posted by anzac
we have seen tours cancelled because of violence that had nothing to do with the tours, and we have seen nations banned re their internal politics - why shouldn't a strong stance be taken regarding the situation in India, or is that too much of a political 'hot potato' for the ICC????
But you forget the cricket world is actually run by the BCCI, not the ICC, hence no action will be taken.

anzac

International Debutant
d'oh!!!!

yep - sorry, one of my Hommer Simpson moments..... how could I have possibly forgotten

you are right of course - nothing will happen or it would have done so by now!!!!

:(!

CricketGuru

School Boy/Girl Captain
Originally posted by DirtySocks
I think all those three onedayers were disrupted by certain elements who had the sole motive to degrade the Indians.I don't think the people who disrupted the match were Indians.I have pretty good idea who these people were & where were they from,from which country, but am not going to go into it much.

Imagine India were going great guns, Sehwag was blasting the WI bowlers, he might have even scored a double ton that day and India would have crushed the WI, who were benefitted from disrupting the match?? certainly not the Indians.

[Edited on 15/11/2002 by DirtySocks]
Yeah man what ever, do u need to write a conspiracy theory just to cover up for what the Indian crowd has done to their own image. Its easy to blame your own wrong doings on someone else, the oldest trick in the book.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
d'oh!!!!

yep - sorry, one of my Hommer Simpson moments..... how could I have possibly forgotten

you are right of course - nothing will happen or it would have done so by now!!!!
Can I say Pakistan :rolleyes:

anzac

International Debutant
sorry Gotcha you've got me there - I'm suffering from a lack of decent sleep so I'm not quite with you....

are you implying the same decision needs to be made re playing 'home' series off shore????? in which case I'm totally with you on that one..........akin to the 'closed gate' comment I made earlier.......

:ticking:

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
player's safety should not be the only decisive issue regarding crowd disruptions, particularly when there is a consistant (& persistant) pattern!!

Repeated distrubances could be looked upon as the ultimate form of sledging - never intending to cause physical harm to the players but certainly detrimental to their performance on the field - something like the old workforce rules regarding 'conditions of work' etc....

we have seen tours cancelled because of violence that had nothing to do with the tours, and we have seen nations banned re their internal politics - why shouldn't a strong stance be taken regarding the situation in India, or is that too much of a political 'hot potatoe' for the ICC????

the notion that this is nothing unusual & we should just get on with it is a cop out and a piss poor excuse for doing nothing...

I may be going out on a limb here and stirring up a hornets nest, but this sort of crap that occurs has been going on for too long - I am aware of crowd violence / disturbances in India 30 years ago and it is about time something was done to deter it - it does not matter if it only occurs every now and then or not!!!!!!

The governing bodies of other sports at both national and international levels have the gumption to take more affirmative action & so should the ICC & the national body of the home team!!!!

Shame on the ICC - they have got this wrong in more ways than 1, shame on the Indian governing body, shame on the 'terrace idiots', and shame on anyone who thinks this is 'normal' or should be tolerated!!!!!

India should be facing a situation where they have to forfeit the remainder of the Tour, with the points for the test matches awarded to WIndies. They should then be fined a % of the projected gate for the remainder of the matches with this being awarded to WIndies. If the national body does not put forward a suitable action plan to deter future incidents they should face having 'closed gate' home series or be banned from such competitions as the WC!!!!

These decisions need to be made without regard to the players or genuine supporters, as they need to demand their national body get's it right.

And just for the 'terrace element' - I would be advocating this action regardless of who the home nation involved was !!!!

Yeah, and England should be banned for letting spectators run wild in a cricket field and Australia for Kiwi-hate coming to a boil in the stands and Pakistan for all the security lapses that have happened over the years like Srikanth getting hit by a spectator and what not.....

Yes this is a problem all over the world...maybe in this series in India, it happened a little more then expected, but the measures that you are suggesting will leave the world with no cricket whatsoever.There are better ways to handle it, like the way it was done in the match today between India and WI where the start of the match got delayed for more then half an hour for frisking every single spectator getting into the stadium and stuff like that.

If India is banned from cricket.... cricket is dead....that's the reality and until China catches on to cricket, that's how its gonna be. :D

[Edited on 15/11/2002 by aussie_beater]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Choora
[Finally, there's a big difference between a mass pitch invasion at the end of the game, and throwing things at fielders - one is far more dangerous to the players than the other.
Yeah thats correct, Micheal Bevan was lucky not to have been stuck by a beer can in England, Steven Waugh said later that had it hit Bevan, it would had caused some real damage!!
That was a different scenario as it was after the game had been played out, and that has been stamped out by banning the traditional gathering in front of the pavilion after games.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yeah, and England should be banned for letting spectators run wild in a cricket field
YOU WHAT?

That is no longer a problem as the ECB stopped the practise as soon as they realised it was a potential problem.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member

Sledging by whom? and you are wrong, in fact these elements are getting physical with the players by throwing stuff on them and yes, it is wrong and it could affect their performance on the field.

Are you comparing acts of hooliganism by a few rowdy elements in a massive crowd to terrorist activities and/or apartheid? Your sense of proportion needs a complete makeover, my friend.

This is not unusual. This has been happening for several years now, although not in a pattern like this series, but randomly and at certain venues. Who says we should do nothing? The 4th one dayer had even greater security and this time the crowd behaved.

Only in India? It has been happening all over the cricketing world in varying degrees and it does matter that it only happens every now and then. That is a much better situation than a regular occurrence of such behaviour. Will you suggest that England should be banned from football because their "fans" go around rioting in stadiums and streets after each match?

That's a ridiculous statement. Ban venues which are habitual offenders, increase security, make cricket associations and security services responsible and accountable, yes, all these should be done. However, India is a major cricketing nation(whether you like it or not) and the suggestion to ban them for random acts of rowdyism by certain elements shows your distorted sense of proportion.

Players and genuine supporters should be taken into account because they are what keeps the game alive and kicking. Advocating an action regardless of the team doesn't make that action right.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Originally posted by marc71178
Yeah, and England should be banned for letting spectators run wild in a cricket field
YOU WHAT?

That is no longer a problem as the ECB stopped the practise as soon as they realised it was a potential problem.
That's what I am trying to point out....these are problems that need to be handled by the circket admins with the help of law enforcement agencies instead of talking about banning countries from playing cricket.

Soccer in Europe has had these sort of problems for years and they are getting good at stopping these from happening.

Look at the match that happened today in Ahmedabad.The venue of the last match is hardly about 100 miles from Ahmedabad and lot of the spectators in that match were probably from Ahmedabad, yet this match was played out in total calm without any of the troubles seen in earlier matches.This is what needs to happen.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's a strange situation, but action is needed ASAP - the wierdest one is why they were rioting when India were doing well!

Choora

State Regular
[That was a different scenario as it was after the game had been played out, and that has been stamped out by banning the traditional gathering in front of the pavilion after games.
Whether a player is at a risk during a match or after the match had finished ,its still a risk with the same security concern .And England had to do something about it which shows just how scary the incident was

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I disagree - this thread started because games were halted by idiots in the stands - that is far worse for the game of Cricket than the Bevan Beer Can incident, the likes of which will not happen again - I wouldn't be surprised if we see a repeat in one of the last 3 ODI's though - that is the problem.