• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing namesakes

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I've just been listening to The Adverts' punk classic "Gary Gilmore's Eyes" & this set me off thinking: aside from the noble Aussie seamer, how many cricketers share their names with other famous (or in Gilmore's case infamous) people?

Off the top of my head there are:

Gary Gilmour/Gilmore - who's either a 70s Oz seamer who took six wickets in the 1975 WC semi or an executed American murderer.

Rod Marsh - who's either an exulted Aussie wicket-keeper & sometime England selector or a flashy 1970s QPR, Fulham & Man City footballer who used to talk an inordinate amount of cobblers on Sky.

David Lloyd - who's either Bumble or John Lloyd's crapper tennis-playing brother & former British Davis Cup captain.

Alan Smith - who's either a 60s England keeper or one of two English international footballers; one an Arsenal legend, the other a stroppy tool.

Jack White - who's either a 20s English spinner or the lead singer with The White Stripes.

Charlie Parker - who's either another 20s English spinner or a famed jazz musician.

Anyone think of anymore? :)

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Yasir/Yasser Arafat - who's a Pakistani all-rounder, useful as a lower-order plunderer and once took nine wickets against England in a warm-up game or the deceased Chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) (1969–2004) and President of the Palestinian National Authority (PNA) (1993–2004).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C Walsh = one of our esteemed team here & the one-time all-time leading Test wicket-taker.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've just been listening to The Adverts' punk classic "Gary Gilmore's Eyes" & this set me off thinking: aside from the noble Aussie seamer, how many cricketers share their names with other famous (or in Gilmore's case infamous) people?

Off the top of my head there are:

Gary Gilmour/Gilmore - who's either a 70s Oz seamer who took six wickets in the 1975 WC semi or an executed American murderer.

Rod Marsh - who's either an exulted Aussie wicket-keeper & sometime England selector or a flashy 1970s QPR, Fulham & Man City footballer who used to talk an inordinate amount of cobblers on Sky.

David Lloyd - who's either Bumble or John Lloyd's crapper tennis-playing brother & former British Davis Cup captain.

Alan Smith - who's either a 60s England keeper or one of two English international footballers; one an Arsenal legend, the other a stroppy tool.

Jack White - who's either a 20s English spinner or the lead singer with The White Stripes.

Charlie Parker - who's either another 20s English spinner or a famed jazz musician.

Anyone think of anymore? :)
F. Bulsara = D. Brumby?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Bill O'Reilly - unfortunately at-large American word-spinner or deceased Australian leg-spinner

Alastair Cook(e) - prolific accumulator of letters from America or prolific accumulator of runs for England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thinking of the Alastair line...

Alastair Campbell = Mr. Blair's Director Of Communications for a time & one of Zimbabwe's best batsmen

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Would then not one of Messrs May, Taylor or Deacon be a more appropriate avatar?
No. It's solely down to me losing a bet. See the Ashes Avatar Challenge thread for further details. Fred will be gone come 5th Feb.

Thought of another:

Dave Allen: either a 60s England spinner or a late Irish comedian one finger short of a full set.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No. It's solely down to me losing a bet. See the Ashes Avatar Challenge thread for further details. Fred will be gone come 5th Feb.
I c's I duz.

How about following him for a short time with a Deacon or a Taylor? :) Just for fun

Craig

World Traveller
Ian Smith - Either a former New Zealand wicket-keeper and commentator for cricket and (IIRC) rugby as well or a former Prime Minister of Rhodesia/Zimbabwe (and one who once had lunch with Sir Garry Sobers)

Craig

World Traveller
Ian Bell - Either a English Test number 3 or a Scottish Jazz muscian who died in 2004 (thanks Wiki :p)

Graeme Smith - Either the captain of the South African cricket team or the goal keeper for Scottish football (soccer) club Motherwell or a former Olympic Swimmer who won a Bronze in the Atlanta Olympics in the 1500m free style.

Craig

World Traveller
Steve Smith - Either a cricketer or a baseballer, a NHL player, NBA or NFL player or an athlete for GB in the Olympics. Could also be a politican, muscian, comedian or clown, or a pioneer of rocket mail in India.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Steve Smith - Either a cricketer or a baseballer, a NHL player, NBA or NFL player or an athlete for GB in the Olympics. Could also be a politican, muscian, comedian or clown, or a pioneer of rocket mail in India.
haha quality use of Wiki craigos :p